Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:40:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Chain of Command and Bolt Action mix?  (Read 9885 times)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Chain of Command and Bolt Action mix?
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2013, 09:45:03 PM »
I can certainly attest that at least several 'rated marksmen' in the 80's achieved their qualifications by being able to 'group' a crate's worth of beer in the Range Sergeant's boot (trunk to you colonials) without ever putting a shot into a target. Wargame rules would likely give them a +1 to hit on the strength of that.

;)

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2013, 09:51:57 PM »
Great thread! J’espère que ton mélange de CoC et BA serait très agréable! Remettez un reportage au sujet svp!
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2013, 12:05:26 AM »
Apologies for coming in late on the thread (resurrection) but one interesting concept I saw mooted elsewhere was that all weapons have an equal chance to hit, but the range depended on weapon and firer. So for some weapons and standard infantrymen, under combat conditions, range might be as short as 100 metres, as that's when they would be confident enough of hitting to actually fire. (Assuming of course they had enough fire discipline to not just start blazing away as soon as they saw a target.)
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2013, 02:56:28 AM »
<snip good stuff> (Assuming of course they had enough fire discipline to not just start blazing away as soon as they saw a target.)

I rather had the opinion, based on what Vietnam Vets related, (back when the war was on,) when they returned was that all too often everybody either fired, post mines/booby traps, very short range (ambush/counter-ambush) "effectively enough" or sprayed "suppressive fire" and tried to not become a casualty.  Doing both at the same time might have been likely in many cases.  Exceptions were when a buddy went down and someone brave enough to recover him needed cover fire.  While not exactly "aimed" like on a target range people tried to point weapons at known enemy positions to allow the recovering person to get in and out successfully.  

Back in my day gang fights seldom involved fire arms beyond revolvers (and rare then) and (Thank God) I was never under fire while in the military so I can't speak first hand about behavior in combat (I really don't think 1960's gang fights had the same level of firepower involved as a 'force multiplier' back in those days.)

Fire discipline seems hard to maintain in combat - seeing the wonders of biathlon shooting in the rare winter olympic coverage tells me that the physics of exertion and shooting accuracy is possible but very difficult even without be shot back at.

Any way this has been avery interesting thread.  Many thanks to all who contributed.  Thinking about the line between game and simulation was good.  Play what pleases you seems the best summation.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2014, 01:59:52 AM »
I rather had the opinion, based on what Vietnam Vets related...

The experiences of Vietnam vets in live fire would be quite different than WWII vets.

Studies run after WWII showed that something like 30% of troops actually fired in combat. Consequently fire training prior to Vietnam was changed quite dramatically in an attempt to increase the percentage of troops firing.

Offline Grey Panda

• Librarian
    • War In Black & White
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2015, 07:22:08 PM »
Another old thread but i was wondering did anyone try some of the suggested modifications to Bolt Action. I really enjoy the game but I need to do something with the assault "unpinning rule"
“The most colorful thing in the world is black and white, it contains all colors and at the same time excludes all.”

http://warpanda.blogspot.ca

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2015, 11:13:06 AM »
To be honest i've barely played recently. I did try changing BA a bit but it was mostly changing weapon ranges and such. In my games we never got that close so i can't help with the assault rules :/