Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:51:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ambush at Clonmult - County Cork 1921  (Read 13730 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Ambush at Clonmult - County Cork 1921
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2008, 07:51:29 AM »
The "War of Independence" is not a "new label" - not in the Republic of Ireland, anyway. It's also called the "Tan War" and the "Anglo-Irish War". I myself think that you're correct, Captain Blood - "Anglo-Irish" is a more correct term, because it correctly identifies the fact that Ireland was in fact, if not in spirit, a part of the United Kingdom. In other words, we have never considered ourselves to be British - we have always had our own distinct, identity. etc. etc. etc. etc. ...ad infinitum

And people question why I feel iffy about wargaming this conflict...  ;)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2008, 01:07:11 PM »
The "War of Independence" is not a "new label" - not in the Republic of Ireland, anyway. It's also called the "Tan War" and the "Anglo-Irish War" ..... Sure there are Nationalist myths. Those same myths obliterated the fact that 200,000 Irishmen fought in the Great War. But I think you'll find that by 1919, the majority of the Irish people wanted independence, and to be masters of their own destiny.

Thanks Gallowglass. Great background. You're clearly an expert in the history of this conflict, which I'm not. Personally, I'd very much like to game the Anglo-Irish Wars, and I love Musketeer's new minis for the period.

All I was saying is that if it becomes the accepted norm amongst wargamers to refer to this period as 'the Irish War of Independence', then that label endorses one particular point of view of the conflict which not all historians agree with.

Of course, you could apply the same exercise to almost all wars in history - and the solution of historians is usually (though not always) to settle on a neutral term to describe a given conflict (e.g. The Second World War) rather than a term which may have found favour with one or other side involved in the conflict, because naturally, these terms tend to express a partisan view of what happened.

That was all.  ;)

Offline Gallowglass

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2008, 01:28:38 PM »

There's no need to be iffy about it, any more than there's any need to be iffy about gaming the American Revolutionary War/ American War of Independence or whatever else you or an American want to call it. But, with respect, I would advise reading more than the essential history you refer to. Here are some pretty accessible books:

PERSONAL ACCOUNTS

GUERRILLA DAYS IN IRELAND, Tom Barry, Anvil Books
RAIDS AND RALLIES, Ernie O'Malley
ON ANOTHER MAN'S WOUND, Ernie O'Malley
THE SINGING FLAME, Ernie O'Malley
MY FIGHT FOR IRISH FREEDOM, Dan Breen
TOWARDS IRELAND FREE, Liam Deasy
BRITISH VOICES FROM THE IRISH WAR OF INDEPENDENCE William Sheehan
COMRADES: INSIDE THE IRISH WAR OF INDEPENDENCE Annie Ryan

The personal accounts in many cases are certainly excessively Nationalistic/ anti-British, but good reads nonetheless. The Sheehan book is outstanding.

HISTORIES
THE IRISH WAR OF INDEPENDENCE – Michael Hopkinson
POLICE CASUALTIES IN IRELAND 1919-1922, Richard Abbott
THE I.R.A. AT WAR 1916-1923 – Peter Hart
THE BLACK AND TANS, Richard Bennett
TANS, TERROR AND TROUBLES - KERRY'S REAL FIGHTING STORY 1913-1923, T Ryle Dwyer,
FIGHTING FOR DUBLIN – William Sheehan

If I had to pick one of the histories, start with Hopkinson. Very balanced. Abbot's book, unfortunately, is very hard to get.

If you need some visual inspiration, here are some films for you:

The Wind that Shakes the Barley (2006)
Michael Collins (1991)
Ryan’s Daughter (1963)
The Informer (1935)

The Crown troops in Ireland weren't monsters, and the IRA weren't all heroic, whiter-than-white noble freedom fighters. There were plenty of what were called "outrages", but plenty of gameable infantry actions as well. Some examples:

Rathcoole Wood – 60 IRA v motorised column of 40 ADRIC
Crossbarry – 104 IRA v lead elements of 1200 Crown forces (maybe 200 at point of contact)
Kilmichael – 17 ADRIC v 36 IRA
Clonbanin – 60 IRA v 40/50 Crown troops + armoured car
Pettigo – 100 police, 1 battalion British infantry, detatchment 18lbr fied guns v 200 IRA entrenched with machine guns
Ballinalee – 60 IRA defend a village in Co. Longford v 11 lorryloads of crown troops

Many more if you do some digging.

As for miniatures, well, you're not stuck there either. The Liberation Miniatures range in 20mm is great as we've seen from the report, and Reviresco have some nice kit too.

If you're more of a 28mm man, you can't go wrong with the Musketeer Miniatures range, which already has flying column and Auxiliaries/ Black and Tans, with more IRA and RIC, followed by British Army troops on the way, as well as some vehicles. Company B recently previewed their 1/56th scale Rolls Royce, and Sloppy Jalopy and Blue Moon are worth a look too.

Absolutely no need to be iffy about it.

This is an excellent chronology of the events of 1919-1922, and I'd certainly encourage anybody interested to take a look:

http://webpages.dcu.ie/~foxs/irhist/index.htm

The following is an RIC Roll of Honour, containing the names of all RIC officers killed on duty from 1837. It also includes members of the Auxiliary Division of the RIC (these men are referred to as "Cadets") and the RIC Special Reserve (Black and Tans).

http://www.policememorial.org.uk/Forces/IRELAND/RIC_Roll.htm

I'll also add the following as an indication of IRA vs Crown casualties in County Cork:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~corkcounty/Casualties.htm

It's taken from this site, which details operations of the three Cork IRA brigades:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~corkcounty/index.html

Some of the content is, unfortunately, somewhat poorly worded, excessively pro-Republican and therefore unobjective. I would also regard some of the British casualty figures as been inflated, particularly Crossbarry.

As to personal relations, my grandfather was a member of H Company, Newmarket Battalion, 2nd (Cork) Brigade. He served with the 2nd Brigade column. He was eventually arrested with Sean Moylan and interned in the Curragh Prison, Co. Kildare. I am named after him.

As far as I know, he was at Clonbanin, Tureengarriffe, Rathcoole Wood. I'm not 100% certain. My father tells me that his father never spoke much about the time in question, and preferred to look forward, not backwards.

A sound philosophy, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm glad people like the Musketeer range. I commissioned them  ::)

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 01:33:05 PM by Gallowglass »
Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Offline postal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2008, 03:18:42 PM »
here in the some people get touchie about playing acw games.Its still fresh even when it happen over a 145 years ago.then some alwats ask if you are playing the good or the bad guys I always say the good guys are the side I am playing.

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2008, 05:23:41 PM »
The "War of Independence" is not a "new label" - not in the Republic of Ireland, anyway. It's also called the "Tan War" and the "Anglo-Irish War". I myself think that you're correct, Captain Blood - "Anglo-Irish" is a more correct term, because it correctly identifies the fact that Ireland was in fact, if not in spirit, a part of the United Kingdom. In other words, we have never considered ourselves to be British - we have always had our own distinct, identity. etc. etc. etc. etc. ...ad infinitum

Well if you explain why then we wont have to question you.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2008, 08:05:35 PM »
Nah, that's alright. There's plenty of other things to game.  :)

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2008, 08:43:36 PM »
Nah, that's alright. There's plenty of other things to game.  :)

Fair do's mate.

Im just perplexed as to why people will game one period but not another. Makes no sense to me at all.

But then I game any setting as it is just a game.... Not a political statement.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2008, 12:29:46 AM »
Im just perplexed as to why people will game one period but not another. Makes no sense to me at all.

I am sure this place is rife with explanations why one prefers one theme before the other. With the amount of miniatures available these days makes people able to focus on whatever tickles their fancies the most.

Offline Flyer115

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
Cool my figures are on this site before me. lol

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2010, 11:28:53 AM »
Cool my figures are on this site before me. lol

And stonking miniatures they are. You are just as welcome as they are!

Offline General

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2010, 12:44:22 AM »
Beautiful table with a great historical feel, down to the black & white photos.

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2010, 03:37:31 AM »
Beautiful shots, and looks like a fantastic game. I've my own thoughts on the Irish War, which I shall keep to myself, but I can say this much - both of my grandmothers were from County Cork (yes, both of my grandfathers, one Cherokee, one Hungarian, married Irish women.) What an odd coincidence, eh? Really.

Anyway, some of those armored cars and vehicles used? They may just be produced by someone I know one of these days;)

-Doc
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 03:39:02 AM by Doc Twilight »

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2010, 10:30:35 AM »
If looking for figures in 28mm look at some of the gangsters or partisans. There are plenty of shotgun, rifle, an pistol armed figures that would pass for the Irish. Of course many of the gangsters here in the USA at that time were Irish.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109

Offline Mr.Dodo

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
I'm Anglo-Irish and prefer the idea of pulp encounters or fictitious between the Wars conflicts like VBCW. I was however struck by the quality of the museums on the subject on a recent visit to Dublin. Having been raised in England I realised I knew less than I thought.
 Back to the posting though, a very nice set up and well presented game. I thought I was looking at 28mm stuff!

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2010, 07:24:58 PM »
Hmm makes me want to dig my gear out.
I was really into this period until the 38 malarky came along.