Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:44:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How is Quadrant 13?  (Read 1737 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
How is Quadrant 13?
« on: October 26, 2013, 02:12:01 PM »
I have been hearing good things about too fat lardies games in general but I haven't heard much about their sci-fi rules in particular. (a search on the forum didn't provide much either)

So I was wondering if anybody has any experience with the rules and could give me their opinion?

Also I have a few questions some people who might be familiar with the rules might answer.
First of, what sort of basing standard does the game use? My 15mm stuff is single based for the most part with some group basing for heavy weapon teams and the like. How do the rules handle things like this. The game claims to be mainly for 6-15mm miniatures. My 6mm stuff is group based, naturally and I wonder how the rules might handle the two different approaches if it does at all.

The rules are based upon ww2 rules which is fine, and many of my models still fit the modern army style in space organization and gear. But how are the rules with weirder units? what if I were to field, say, destroyer droids from starwars, ie. Robotic, personal shield and alternative form of movement. Deployed from tunnelling transport vehicles and backed up by cloaked telephoning assassin droids?
Its pretty far out there but I like the idea of running a modern like military force against a force capable of very alien and different tactics. Basically how extensive are the "special rules and abilities"

How does it handle air strikes? I am very partial to dirtside2's method of having fighters/bombers move across the entire table on a single pass and would love to find a game with something alike that shows the speed of such an attack, this is one of the points where gruntz which I am currently using fails I'm afraid. On roughly the same topic are there rules for both off-board and on-board artillery strikes?

In many cases  I would just purchase the rules in PDF and see if I like them. However 10 pounds is reasonable for a pdf but to much to just buy and see.

Cheers,
Tim

3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: How is Quadrant 13?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 02:02:54 PM »
That's a lot of views and no replies. Anyhow I managed to find a review on Drop-ship horizon that answers most of my question. I'll link it here for anybody else interested who might find this topic at some later date.

http://dropshiphorizon.blogspot.nl/2013/05/quadrant-13-company-sized-6-15mm-sci-fi.html

Bottom line, the mechanics for all the different combat sound rather complicated and like a lot of tables to look things up on. Also by the sound of it you have to roll a bucket of dice for every action. While the idea of random movement scaling by number of actions sounds like it does simulate the uncertainty of combat in an interesting way I just not that interested in throwing that many dice every time I move something. (mind you gruntz method of throwing a pair of dice for every model isn't great either.)

On the same note dropship mentions that the scenarios don't take a number of factors into account balance wise and there are no further balancing factors. I fear I have to look further for my ideal system.