Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:33:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689475
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Italian Medieval Buildings pt2  (Read 14219 times)

Offline Sirolf

• Librarian
Italian Medieval Buildings pt2
« on: October 21, 2013, 12:07:07 AM »
I don't know how many have actually seen the wonderful work that Lorenzo from Manorhouse Workshop is doing in preparation for his next Indiegogo campaign. He is creating a highly detailed and modular XVth century Italian town with playable interiors. This is a link to his webpage: http://manorhouseworkshopmindstalkers.wordpress.com/

Offline cuchulain23

• Scientist
Re: Italian Medieval Buildings pt2
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 03:24:09 AM »
That looks absolutely amazing.

Online FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 05:42:28 AM »
The buildings look great and the modularity seems to be excellent. The main problem was that the last campaign had a very high cost of entry.

Not that big, nicely-made terrain items aren't costly to produce, but I'm just not sure if KS/IGG pre-orders will be the best way for them to move forward with the project.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 05:54:39 AM »
Loving all of it but especially the water wheel! Very versatile.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 05:58:59 AM »
That stuff is beautiful, but a seasoned game like me is pretty quick to assume it's well and truly beyond any budget I have.  lol

Simply gorgeous stuff though, really grand.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 187
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paulīs Bods
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 08:14:34 AM »
 those are lovely buildings!  :-*
I knew the truck didnīt want to hit me...it had dodge written on the front

Paulīs Bods Blog
Federation of Bodstonia

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 10:50:16 AM »
I'm in love with these buildings. Everything Manorhouse Wokshop produces is simply stunning.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 11:11:03 AM »
I've been watching Manorhouse Workshop for several years now, and think everything they do is quite superb.

Unfortunately, it's all very distinctively Italian (or perhaps Mediterranean) in character - so not really suitable for North / Central medieval Europe  :(

Not that I blame Lorenzo in the least for making beautiful buildings portraying an earlier period of his own national culture. I think it's brilliant stuff.

But I suspect it does rather limit his market. Not just for, say, people playing Wars of the Roses or Hundred Years War, but also, I suspect, for legions of Warhammer fans, who would probably want a less distinctively Italian vibe for their Brettonnians, Empire, or whatever...

But if I was going to invest seriously in the Italian Wars (as opposed to making up a few plastic Milanese mercenaries), I would definitely splash out on some of Manorhouse's product... 

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 11:25:57 AM »
These are fucking good... I'd love to field a condottieri army and burn it to the ground.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 03:49:54 PM »
If I would get those, I think missus would make me move into those buildings  lol

They do look great... WHFB players could use them for Tilean or Border Princes right away and why not southern provinces of Empire.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 06:29:33 PM »
I like these as well, a lot of thought has gone into them  8)

They could be suitable for GoT as well you know Richard  ;)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Sirolf

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 07:40:59 PM »
Unfortunately, it's all very distinctively Italian (or perhaps Mediterranean) in character - so not really suitable for North / Central medieval Europe  :(

Not that I blame Lorenzo in the least for making beautiful buildings portraying an earlier period of his own national culture. I think it's brilliant stuff.

But I suspect it does rather limit his market. Not just for, say, people playing Wars of the Roses or Hundred Years War, but also, I suspect, for legions of Warhammer fans, who would probably want a less distinctively Italian vibe for their Brettonnians, Empire, or whatever...

That's definitely true Captain, but there are dozens of companies that produce northern european buildings out there, and almost none that makes southern european ones. The only mediterranean buildings you find are usually related to spanish napoleonic campaigns, but never medieval Italy, so manorhouse is covering a huge gap in the industry.
The only reason why that could be limiting, is because most wargame players are from northern-europe (England and France), and therefore the WOR and the HYW are very popular, despite being only some of the several conflicts of late-medieval Europe.
I think that if more Italians and Spaniards would get into wargames, his market would definitely increase, since Italy is a very interesting place to portray in a battlefield. It was the most urbanized and technologically advanced country at the time, and with so much diversity in terms of weaponry and costumes, it's too bad it doesn't get that much attention :(
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 07:49:30 PM by Sirolf »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 10:14:11 PM »
From little things big things grow. ;)

I think these are beautiful pieces, which will (hopefully) spur others to step up to this level.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline maniachouse

• Assistant
    • Manorhouse Workshop
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 07:52:14 AM »
That's definitely true Captain, but there are dozens of companies that produce northern european buildings out there, and almost none that makes southern european ones. The only mediterranean buildings you find are usually related to spanish napoleonic campaigns, but never medieval Italy, so manorhouse is covering a huge gap in the industry.
The only reason why that could be limiting, is because most wargame players are from northern-europe (England and France), and therefore the WOR and the HYW are very popular, despite being only some of the several conflicts of late-medieval Europe.
I think that if more Italians and Spaniards would get into wargames, his market would definitely increase, since Italy is a very interesting place to portray in a battlefield. It was the most urbanized and technologically advanced country at the time, and with so much diversity in terms of weaponry and costumes, it's too bad it doesn't get that much attention :(

Hi to all. I'm Lorenzo, thanks for your comments about my items.

I totally agree with the thought of sirolf. :)
of buildings in the North European-style, the market is full of them.
Fortunately for me , the Italian medieval style is  missing, and like very much to the rest the world. ;)

again thanks, Lorenzo

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 01:09:52 PM »
Sirolf and Lorenzo. I wasn't criticising your choice to make these beautiful buildings, portraying a beautiful Italianate setting.
I was just saying that I think the market for this setting is quite limited.

I totally agree with the thought of sirolf. :)
of buildings in the North European-style, the market is full of them.

Actually, I don't think that's right.
Yes, there are lots of standalone buildings in the late medieval half-timbered style, in resin and plastic, from several manufacturers. Conflix, Grand Manner, PMC, and many more.

Then you have individual or modular 'stone-built' buildings, like those from my good friend Jens at Pardulon, or from the excellent Tabletop World.
But I'm afraid, beautiful as these models are, they do not look like realistic medieval buildings. They have the exaggerated fantasy styling of Games Workshop.

But castle-style / walled town complexes, like the beautiful layouts showcased by Manorhouse? No. I don't think so.

There's the Hudson & Allen castle, which is rather nice but very expensive considering it's made of soft foam and has very soft detail too.
Plus (I think I'm right in saying) it's only available from the USA at considerable additional shipping and customs expense.

Apart from that, there's the Games Workshop mighty fortress, which is basically a glorified toy castle. Not at all realistic.

I think, Lorenzo, if you were to apply your excellent design skills to a more generic 'central' European castle/fortified town complex, you would find there would be a very good market for it. I've certainly been looking for something like that for several years - and nobody makes one.