Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:28:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Ludus of Justinian Cervus *Slaves, Guards, and Gladiators added 2-15-14*  (Read 10859 times)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Re: The Ludus of Justinian Cervus *Valentinus and Pardus 1-21-14*
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 08:19:01 AM »
Finally got around to painting/ photographing these two, who knew that having a newborn would take up so much free time  ;D
Hope you like them.

lol - an understatement for sure. Babies are real hobby KILLERS!!

The Brigade games figure has painted up a treat, as has the Laquearius. Must say though that the Laquearius  is one of my least favorite armaturae.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Justin Buck

• Scientist
    • The Parade Ground
Re: The Ludus of Justinian Cervus *Slaves, Guards, and Gladiators 2-15-14*
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2014, 11:03:39 PM »
After making some money on the games, Justinian Cervus decided to expand his ludus by buying some slaves.  They were a mixed bunch, from house slaves who disobeyed their former masters for the last time, to legionaries who deserted from their unit on the boarder not to far from town and were caught, to prisoners of war.  Some of them had to be reminded of their new roles.  The ranks of the guards were expanded with the addition of two soldiers to deal with the influx of unreliable slaves.  Got to keep the possibility of a revolt from happening.  Three gladiators joined the ludus.  Persicus, a heavy Sagittarius; Calamus, a light Sagittarius; and Marcellus, a heavy Velite.  I know velites are not normally heavily armored, but this was the only figure I had with a wolf cloak....and I really wanted him to have a wolf cloak  :)  The metal figures are from Foundry and the rest are from Wargames Factory Caesar's legion and Numidian boxes.  They do make great unarmored slaves.  There are quite a few pics, hope no one minds  :D  Any c/c welcome.  More on http://theparadeground.blogspot.com/

House slaves:

Ex-legionaries:

Prisoners of war:

Guards:

Persicus:

Calamus:

Marcellus:

Justinian Cervus

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Nice additions, Justin.
I think you are achieving some good results with your brush, especially that wolf fur and the 'stripes' on their backs.
Ouch!
 8)

Nice bronze too.
 :-*

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
I think you are achieving some good results with your brush, especially that wolf fur and the 'stripes' on their backs.
Ouch!

Have to agree - those lash cuts look AMAZING!!  :-*

Did you actually score the miniatures first?

Of them all, I really like the scantily clad slaves the most. Well done.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
You certainly went shopping in style  :o

Great additions. Are some of them conversions or are they all straight 'off the shelf'?

Of them all, I really like the scantily clad slaves the most. Well done.

Something you're not telling us Frank  ;D lol

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Justin Buck

• Scientist
    • The Parade Ground
Thanks for the comments.  The chainmail bodies are legionaries and the bare arms are Numidian arms.  There are so many arms in the boxes that the combinations are endless.  The only other "conversion" are the rectangle shields that I cut down from the plastic oval shields that came with the legionaries.  The slaves with the lash marks were scored with a knife before undercoat and then given a red wash after the skin was finished.  The ex legionaries had some cut marks on their upper left shoulder, where their legion# tattoo was cut off. You can see this on the one with the pilum.  I really like the way the lash marks came out  :)

I think I might take a little break from painting gladiators until Furt's rules come out, cause I have no where to put them and they have taken over my painting table!

Justinian Cervus

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"

Something you're not telling us Frank  ;D lol

I certainly contemplated using a different term from "scantily clad slaves", now I know I should have.  lol

"Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?"

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
I certainly contemplated using a different term from "scantily clad slaves", now I know I should have.  lol

lol

Never mind mate  lol

cheers

James

Offline Justin Buck

• Scientist
    • The Parade Ground

Haha

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures

lol

Great brushwork, I agree the whip cuts looks great.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
Those unarmoured slaves are fantastic, i love the lash marks! Ive gotta look into those Wargames Factory Numidian kits! People seem to be using them for everything  :D

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Tons of character - I like what you've done with all of your miniatures.  You can play almost any scenario I'd imagine.  Nicely done.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 187
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!