Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:11:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 607
Total: 612

Recent

Author Topic: VUK Shub cult?  (Read 3124 times)

Offline forcedperfect

• Bookworm
VUK Shub cult?
« on: February 28, 2014, 07:47:38 AM »
Hi, all! 

While digging through my available toys for making VUK gangs, I found several suitable models to represent Mi-go, Cthonians, Dark Young, etc.  Unfortunately, I notice that there's no Shub cult in VUK at the moment.  Not being the strongest math thinker (or understanding the points assignment theory of the designers), does anyone have any suggestions for statting up a cult list for the Black Goat of the Woods? 

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
Re: VUK Shub cult?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 04:47:57 PM »
The cult archetypes aren't really meant to be deity-specific, but rather based on the type of worshippers.  You can then dedicate your nefarious to band to any dark master of your choice (or invention!).  For a cult busily sacrificing to Shub-Niggurath, I'd think Arcane Seekers or Dunwich Folk would probably be the closest matches.

That said, while I am currently working on stats for a number of additional beasties, the vast majority of those profiles aren't likely to be formally incorporated into Kulten as they don't really match up with the scope of the game.  Nothing saying individual groups of players can't choose to utilize them as a 'house rules' though, and I'd personally say if you want to go the effort of attempting to summon and bind a Dark Young, more power to you.

Offline forcedperfect

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 05:25:59 PM »
Thanks, Lidless!  I thought that might be the case.  Dunwich Folk seem like a good archetype for a Shub cult.  I've been sourcing parts for Kindred for the SA black dossier anyway, might as well get used to their rules!

Figured a Dark Young or Cthonian would probably be a bit too heavy for the scope anyway, just a shame to not have a use for the models.  :)  If I come up with anything, I'll put it up here.  Any suggestions for stat lines are most welcome!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 05:36:35 PM »

Figured a Dark Young or Cthonian would probably be a bit too heavy for the scope anyway, just a shame to not have a use for the models.  :)  If I come up with anything, I'll put it up here.  Any suggestions for stat lines are most welcome!

Use them in Strange Aeons, when you really need to give a Treshold team a good shake-up!  >:D
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 07:43:53 PM »
Hmm, finding it interesting that most would classify a Dark Young as a very powerful monster.  I had it pegged as a tough, but not overwhelming adversary - a bit nastier than a Formless Thing.

Cthonians, on the other hand, would be close to Godling territory.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 07:53:40 PM »
At least within CoC I classify Dark Young in the category "Run away from it as soon as you can, hopefully before it sees you, and certainly before you see it".
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 08:00:14 PM »
At least within CoC I classify Dark Young in the category "Run away from it as soon as you can, hopefully before it sees you, and certainly before you see it".

lol
That would be sound advice for pretty much anything Mythos-related in my opinion.
 ;)

Offline forcedperfect

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 03:16:15 PM »
yeah, i remembered them in CoC as being an "oh, oh no" type monster.  just had a neat model of one and am trying to get some mileage out of it.  it's likely too nasty for SA/VuK.  not knowing much about cthonians, do they have a larval form or at least an immature phase?  or are they just turbo huge from birth?

i like the idea of treating either as a godling, actually.  i haven't even looked at the godling stats yet... were you guys going for a starspawn with that one?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 03:18:59 PM by forcedperfect »

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
    • EndTransmission's random gaming things
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 04:03:39 PM »
There is talk in some of the background that the Cthonians are very protective of their young... so I would assume you do get smaller ones

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 04:31:01 PM »
There is talk in some of the background that the Cthonians are very protective of their young... so I would assume you do get smaller ones

Pretty sure there was one published Chaosium adventure with an immature cthonian, I'll have to look through my RPG stuff. If I recall it wasn't a pushover.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 04:46:47 PM »
I recall early editions of CoC had several different life-stages of Cthonian, from larval on up to earth-quake capable. I'd be surprised if they had edited that out.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 04:53:58 PM »
not knowing much about cthonians, do they have a larval form or at least an immature phase?

There's a mini for a little one, including eggs (go to 2926) so they must exist. :D

Offline forcedperfect

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 10:40:35 PM »
right on.  i'll have to go dig into the game dungeon and see if i can find my old CoC book.  thanks, all!