Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:31:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: LET'S GO!! New Oniria Miniatures  (Read 8967 times)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: LET'S GO!! New Oniria Miniatures
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 07:08:48 PM »
Stunning figures!! :o :o :o :-* :-*

I would love to see this 'realistic' style through other ranges/styles! Maybe the way forward?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 09:46:33 PM »
The problem is you rarely get the realistic style without the bigger size.  If you do, the miniatures don't work well with other ranges etc. (particularly more classic ranges from the 80's-90's etc.).

These would fit with the other steam punk game which is coming out (and for some reason chose 35mm scale). 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline ONIRIA

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 11:31:23 AM »
Stunning figures!! :o :o :o :-* :-*

I would love to see this 'realistic' style through other ranges/styles! Maybe the way forward?

We do have a Naploleonic range you may want to chek:

http://www.oniriaminiatures.com/product-category/figuras_en/nap_en/

The problem is you rarely get the realistic style without the bigger size.  If you do, the miniatures don't work well with other ranges etc. (particularly more classic ranges from the 80's-90's etc.).

These would fit with the other steam punk game which is coming out (and for some reason chose 35mm scale). 

Well, the figures could be "shorter" to say be 28mm from foot to eye. But then if you want to keep the realistic style and proportions all the figures' features  would have to be really "smaller", and maybe too small for what we are looking for. To give you an idea, our figures have the same head size (or even a bit smaller in some cases)  as the average 28mm figure, but the realistic proportions make them about a head taller.
Hope it's more or less explained... ;)

saludetes

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
Those are great miniatures. I think the point that some people are trying to make is that they won't fit in with their existing miniatures for game purposes. I might buy these from a pure painting aspect but I wouldn't buy them to paint and use in a game, because they are so much taller than everything else and will stand out like sore thumbs. Its just a matter of what the intended use is going to be.
It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)

Offline ONIRIA

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 04:44:53 PM »
Those are great miniatures. I think the point that some people are trying to make is that they won't fit in with their existing miniatures for game purposes. I might buy these from a pure painting aspect but I wouldn't buy them to paint and use in a game, because they are so much taller than everything else and will stand out like sore thumbs. Its just a matter of what the intended use is going to be.

I really don't know if they fit or not with other manufacturers, but knowing the size of my figures, here's a quote from some fellow of another fourm:

"They should work ok sizewise with Black Scorpion, Reaper Deadlands and Malifaux, though the realistic proportions will likely make those other ones look more crude by comparison"

hope it helps.

Saludetes

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2013, 05:01:14 PM »
I really don't know if they fit or not with other manufacturers, but knowing the size of my figures, here's a quote from some fellow of another fourm:

"They should work ok sizewise with Black Scorpion, Reaper Deadlands and Malifaux, though the realistic proportions will likely make those other ones look more crude by comparison"

hope it helps.

Saludetes

Thanks for all the rationale and explanation. I will be ordering just for the joy of painting them, and if they happen to fit in on the games table that will be a bonus
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Gutbukkit

• Mad Scientist
    • Hrafnslith - Dark Age Reenactment
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2013, 05:20:16 PM »
Thanks for all the rationale and explanation. I will be ordering just for the joy of painting them, and if they happen to fit in on the games table that will be a bonus

Exactly what I've done. I ordered them purely because they're fantastic and it'll be great to have the Wild Bunch in my collection. If they fit with my Black Scorpion stuff for games then that's great!

Offline ONIRIA

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 05:56:29 PM »

Thanks a lot for your support Deedels, Gutbukkit and any others.  :)

Once you receive the figures it would be great and very helpful if you could share  your opinion about compatibility, quality, value for money, etc...
Wether it's possitive or not of course.

Saludetes

Offline Gutbukkit

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 05:58:50 PM »
Thanks a lot for your support Deedels, Gutbukkit and any others.  :)

Once you receive the figures it would be great and very helpful if you could share  your opinion about compatibility, quality, value for money, etc...
Wether it's possitive or not of course.

Saludetes

I'll be sure to update my Old West miniature comparison thread here on LAF.

Offline DaveL

• Bookworm
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Hi.

Just seen the figures. Wow!!! They've played Western games at my club using "Dead Man's hand", but never really gripped me.  But now I've seen these figures, I think I might have to re-think.

They're fantastic figures, and the paint job on them is wonderful.

Yet another great range Ged

Best Wishes    DaveL

Offline Quirkworthy

• Scientist
  • Quirkworthy
    • Quirkworthy
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 10:00:47 PM »
The figures look really nice. My question would be, given that these plainly won't mix well with most other company's models, how long will it be before you have a big enough range for me to just use these? As it stands, they're lovely as display figures and painting projects, but nowhere near enough for a game.

Same goes for the Napoleonics, which look just as nice. I'd like to have an excuse to buy them, but if they won't fit with other things and aren't enough of a range I just can't justify it.

Which is a shame.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 01:12:24 AM »
Quickworthy,
                      Yours was exactly the point I tried to make.  The figures may be gorgeous, absolutely anatomically correct, but if they are bigger than the already biggest figures, how can we use them?  I love my Black Scorpion figures, and stubbornly continue to look for other figures to match them, but bigger than they are??

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 07:06:56 AM »
gents

just a gentle note to say i have some
orders for the New "LETS GO "  figs
just waiting on postage costs cheers!! :D

Regards
Ged
www.gringo40s.com
www.gringo40s.blogspot.com
www.gjmfigurines.com

Offline Gutbukkit

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 09:27:25 AM »
Oniria, will you be making Deke Thornton and his posse, Freddie Sykes, Angel and Mapache? Maybe some Mexicans too (army and rebels). Probably beyond the small vignettes that you do and just wishful thinking on my part.

Offline ONIRIA

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 02:01:48 PM »

Thanks a lot for your interest guys.

NickNascah & Quickworhty@
 It's not in our mind to make  armies or full units for gaming purposes. We just want to make good figures for painters and collectors. If you only want figures for gaming I understand that it's more difficult for you, but I know some people that have used our Napoleonics to add to their armies, and the + 4mm difference was not a problem for them. As for the WB series it looks like they could fit  sizewiese with some other manufacturers (the look of the figures is a different issue).

Gutbukkit@
I Wish we could. But to be honest I don't think that could be feasible for us right now. We have to see how these two sets work and maybe if we are OK with how they are accepted I might be able to brive our sculptor to model a Mapache figure and maybe a couple of his mex officers or some other figure/s to compose a small vignette (e.g: mapache drunk at the table with a wench or slashing Angel's throat open, or saluting the little federal kid, or giving orders/rating  -wine glass in hand-  to his two officcers...something like that).
But hey, let's walk before we run, and first see how things work....