Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:12:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690888
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Computer games that would make good wargames.  (Read 3252 times)

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
Computer games that would make good wargames.
« on: October 26, 2013, 11:57:30 PM »
First thing I should say is, I DON'T mean computer games that would make cool minis, I mean ones that would make good wargames.

I'm working in my own rule set at the moment and was quite inspired by the layout etc of old "top down" shooters and it got me thinking  again about what interesting dynamics, mechanics and gameplay could be transferred from the console to the tabletop? I'm really focusing on more "retro" games than modern. Modern games tend to be more "realistic" rather than abstract, I'm primarily interested in gaming rather than simulating "reality" and think there could be a lot to to learn from the way some old games dealt with the mechanics side if things.

I started this topic a long while back on Frothers Unite, there were some interesting responses but I'm fairly sure it was lost in the big crash that happened awhile back. From what I remember there were some interesting ideas. I've done a lot more pondering since but at the time I was thinking about the command mechanic from the game Cannon Fodder and trying to apply the move/shoot/effect sequence from Worms. It's late and my brain is seizing up but I'm sure the LAF collective can come up with some fun ideas.
 8)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Computer games that would make good wargames.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 01:30:38 AM »
A simplified version of UFO, enemy unknown. Lots of people on here have had projects of those going as well.

Offline Knightofspades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 01:53:39 AM »
Valkyrie Chronicles have an interesting mechanic where the soldiers shoot at anything that moves in their range during their turn that means you can block off spots on the map just by having lots of models with guns in range of it and that activating a figure that is surrounded by enemy miniatures is suicide.

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 08:35:40 AM »
Interesting. I've been playing with ideas for autonomous units in a similar way.

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 12:04:55 AM »
"Laser Squad" was a skirmish scifi game that used action points and allowed a player to save any or all of his actions to cover an area on over watch.  The figure's action point total dropped as he gained damage.  Explosive terrain (compressed gas cylinders, certain storage containers) made wild or erratic shooting dangerous to both sides! 
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 03:46:43 AM »
The Total War series seems to have wargames in mind, certainly.

As does the Age of Empires series.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline smokezombie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 09:39:22 AM »
I'll second Valcaria Chronicles. In fact my brother and I regularly discuss how VC would make a great system for a Mordheim computer game.
"The sword sung on the barren heath,
The sickle in the fruitful field;
The sword he sung a song of death,
But could not make the sickle yield."
William Blake

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 09:59:41 AM »
I really like Valkyrie Chronicles for many reasons, but the activation system is not one of them.

Essentially you get one activation per unit -- but you can use multiple activations on a single unit.

While there is a small penalty for re-activating the same unit in many cases the best tactic is to siphon off activations from the "cheerleader squad" and use them on the units that are in a position (or have the correct equipment) to do something useful. E.g. if you need to take out an enemy tank, your best move is to siphon activations off your infantry and just take multiple shots with your tank.

Oh yes, and it has automated reaction fire. While it works ok, the only new thing about it is the adaptation to the the real-time movement.

The combat system has its oddities as well. Headshots are so much more effective that in most cases it's much better to run up close for a guaranteed headshot rather than engage in a sensible gunfight at range.

I usually play VC "realistically" only activating each unit once, which leads to getting a lousy score.
Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 11:41:08 PM »
Has anyone tried Command and Conquer in 6/10/15mm?

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 11:42:26 PM »
Faster than Light, with solid mechanics, would make an incredible solo tabletop game.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 01:55:31 PM »
A simplified version of UFO, enemy unknown. Lots of people on here have had projects of those going as well.

"Laser Squad" was a skirmish scifi game that used action points and allowed a player to save any or all of his actions to cover an area on over watch.  The figure's action point total dropped as he gained damage.  Explosive terrain (compressed gas cylinders, certain storage containers) made wild or erratic shooting dangerous to both sides! 

Both of these (as UFO basically was a more developed version of Laser Squad, by the same makers). I'd go for it in an instant, as I'm one of the many who have a tabletop UFO project on the back burner...

And I would like to throw a couple out there myself: S.TA.L.K.E.R., DeusEx Human Revolution and Operation Flashpoint for instance.

Granted; they would be squad level games, and the first two would be best suited for skirmish campaigns with RPG elements, but all are excellent games with key elements that could very easily be translated to the tabletop!

And how about Syndicate or Mafia?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 02:10:35 PM »
Faster than Light, with solid mechanics, would make an incredible solo tabletop game.
Yea I can see that working as a solo or group boardgame, not really a wargame.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 06:53:43 PM »
I think Faster than light (FTL) would be great. but as YPU says single person most probably. Still it involves attacking crafts and the boarding of other crafts I would put more emphasis on. It has weapons that you can use to help you out with the boarding parties such as healing bombs and you can always fire your fire-based weapons into the middle of the boarding action. I like the sound of that actually. I may look into coming up with my own rules for it.