Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:52:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690662
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Fantasy Skirmish stuff  (Read 3205 times)

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
My Fantasy Skirmish stuff
« on: October 27, 2013, 02:27:59 AM »
Hi to all,

I recently picked up my brushes and started painting some figures to be used in a fantasy skirmish game. I have 7 warbands assembled, as well as some monsters and markers, and of course some scenery. The setting of this game of mine is strongly influenced by Hârn, the Columbia Games creation. It is set on a "new" continent called Kamerand, a continent discovered by Vikings (Ivinians, as I call them) but soon explored by other factions (the Crusaders, the Lia-Kavair and the Khuzduls). Some natives already inhabit this new continent (the Skraelings, the Lizardmen and the Ancient Ones). So, enough with the chit-chat, get to the pics already. Oh, I have to say, this is just a start. I'll try to post pictures as I paint more figures. I'm not the best painter around here, but hey, it's mostly old lead and I think you'll like 'em even though I'm no Mr. Dee or Dwartist.

First up, the Crusaders.

I'm pretty sure the horse is from RAFM and the monk from Grenadier. I chose a mostly white and blue palette for these guys. The rest of the warband is in the same style.

Second, the Lia-Kavair. They're thieves and they've stuck an unlikely alliance with some outcast mages who pay them to find Ancient Ones artefacts. Her are the first two:

I think they're both from Ral Partha, but I'm not sure. I have chosen a very "earthy" palette for them.

Next up, the Ivinians.

The one on the left is from Foundry and is missing his shield. The one on the right is probably from Ral Partha, but I'm not sure. They'll be painted in brighter colors, if only to break the monotony of the chainmail.

The Lizardmen.

I really like this guy! He's from Reaper and is kinda huge. I really like the copper/stone/green scales combo.

Some wildlife to complicate things:

The one on the right is from Ral Partha I think, but it could be from somewhere else since it's a slotta. One of the guys who's going to play in the campaign nicknamed it the Corny Turd...The one on the left is a sculpt of mine. I'm pretty happy with my pallid flesh effect.

Some treasure markers:

I have no idea where they are from. There's nothing much to say about these guys.

So, there you have it, the start of my fantasy skirmish game. Hope you enjoyed them, and I'll be sure to post some more pics as painting progresses.

Yours truly,

Sir Dryden

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
Re: My Fantasy Skirmish stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 08:13:40 AM »
A good start. Dam that wildlife doesn't it always complicate things in a fantast world  :D

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 02:03:36 PM »
This looks to be a GRAND start to an Epic Adventure...so to speak. You've got a cool mix of minis & some FINE brushwork. It will be an adventure in itself watching your project develop. Have FUN with it all!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Bloodsbane

• Scientist
  • AKA FKSN
    • I'm a drawer
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 03:00:16 PM »
Great start! I'm looking forward to see where this goes.

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 03:11:39 PM »
You have some cool stuff there!
 :-*

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 04:02:46 PM »
Thanks, guys, I really appreciate it. Aggro, it's unrelated to minis, but I always wanted to tell you how much I love your avatar pic. Big reggae fan here, though I'm more of a Congos guy. Now, to my brushes!

Yours truly,

Sir Dryden

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
Nice project - well done :)

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 05:30:37 PM »
Excellent start to a great looking bunch of fantasy minis. I really like old school minis and I am so looking forward to seeing more of what you do with more of your collection. Recently I have been painting my old school stuff but with no real theme. I wish now that I had waited and tried to achieve what you are doing - sets of warbands in a themed world. Great work - thanks for sharing.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 06:10:12 PM »
Hi to all,

I've also been working on scenery, and I'm quite happy with the results. Here's some pics.

First off, trees:

Sorry for the crappy out of focus pic. They're from Woodland Scenics, and they ended up looking quite "North-American". I like 'em.

Next up, rocks.

Made with real rocks. Nothing much to say about them, except I like how they look post-ice age, if that makes any sense. (Scandinavians might get what I mean, but there's not much hope for all of you guys who live in non-glacial parts of the world!)

Finally, in-situ stuff:

Not the best pic, but you can see how my trees and rocks combine rather well.

Anyway, I'm working on a more flattering set-up to showcase my work. Enough already with the "sheet-taped-to-the-ruler-and-again-taped-to-the-desk" thingie. Next pics should be better. Hope you like it anyway.

Yours truly,

Sir Dryden

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 11:32:15 PM »
Nice terrain too Sir Dryden!
Does this mean we get to see some Bat Reps at some point?
 :D
I mostly into the early reggae stuff. But I had the Congo's first album on vinyl before the ex ran off with it!
It's a Black Ark classic!
 :-*

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 03:50:16 AM »
Hey Aggro,

I sure hope I can get a batrep posted sometime in the near future. Loads more to come, guaranteed. And on an unrelated note, I would be devastated to be stripped of a "Meet the Congos" vinyl. It has an almost legendary status. I've never seen an actual vinyl copy of it. How do you sleep at night? ??? lol

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 01:27:13 AM »
Hey Aggro,

I sure hope I can get a batrep posted sometime in the near future. Loads more to come, guaranteed. And on an unrelated note, I would be devastated to be stripped of a "Meet the Congos" vinyl. It has an almost legendary status. I've never seen an actual vinyl copy of it. How do you sleep at night? ??? lol

You don't know the half of it. I used to have quite the reggae collection all on vinyl.

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 01:29:05 PM »
These are great! We have several of these figs, so I felt drawn in to your collection with the first picture. A battle report will be a treat with these guys!

I'd love to see your next works in the trees and rocks as well.

Jevenkah

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 08:54:21 PM »
There's some really nice miniatures you have there. And indeed that lizard type is very intimidating. Reaper has some of the best miniatures for fantasy roleplaying/skirmish gaming.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 10:26:53 PM »
Looks very promising, that does.