Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:59:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Handful Of Quarters II  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Legionaire22

• Bookworm
Handful Of Quarters II
« on: October 27, 2013, 06:53:43 AM »
Hi all again. Just got back from Flat Con. I ran the same scenario as last week with much different results. First of all I had several people come from pretty far away to play my game, and I didn't want to turn anyone away. It ended up being one of the biggest games I have ever run. I had 10 figures on each side and then Joe. Twenty-one figs was a lot!

The game started with all the usual warnings about messing with Joe, followed by everyone running and trying to get an advantage over the other side. However, the temptation was just too great and on the very first turn the hired gun lined up on sleeping Joe with his buffalo rifle from 35" inches out. Squeezed the trigger.....and missed. This was followed by several "uh-oh's", a couple of stunned looks, one "oh crap", and one very evil "tee hee hee" (my wife was running Joe this time).  lol

The carnage started soon after with Mr. buffalo rifle dropping the doctor with one shot at 32". Shortly after that one of the law men decided to go in and take out Joe, and ended up getting blown away on the stairway by Joe (I did mention my wife was running Joe didn't I?) :D In just a few cards Joe had killed two law men and rounded the corner behind the hotel to blast the preacher. He passed his guts test (to shoot the preacher you have to fail a guts test), grumbled about the dang preacher, and ducked back around the corner. As fate would have it the next card was a lawman ace and the special card from their deck was the shootout card.

The preacher was feeling his oats and convinced his fellow gang members to let him have the card to call out Joe. He reasoned to them that he had a s.o. shotgun and would blow Joe to pieces. I let them know that because Joe had been called out by the preacher that he would not have to make the normal guts check in order to shoot at him. The answer was "I can still take him". What followed was the most comical shootout I have ever seen!

They both faced off with s.o. shotguns, which got an "uh-oh" from the preacher when he realized it. The first round they both fired the shotguns. Preacher rolled 5d8, hit with three but did not wound. Joe rolled 5d20, hit with all of them and did not wound. Round two preacher reloaded the shotgun and said a prayer. Joe dropped his shotgun and drew and fired his two sixguns. Joe rolled 4d12, hit with three and again did not wound. Round three preacher fired his now reloaded shotgun once again. He rolled 5d8, hit with four and yet again not a single wound. Joe fired his pistols again. He fired 4d12, hit with three, and wounded with all three finally dropping the preacher. It was several minutes before the laughter stopped and we could get back to playing the game.

A few turns later Joe almost blew himself up with a stick of dynamite when he missed the roll and it fell halfway between him and his target, but not wounding either one of them. The Crazy stood in the street arguing with himself for almost half of the game (he has to pass a guts test to do anything(d20)). On the other side of the town a soldier and another hired gun shot about 15 shots at each other inside the saloon before either one was hit.

When we finally called the game due to time, there were 12 dead and 4 wounded. Seven of the dead were from Joe (my wife is mean!). Once again the game was a blast.

If the pictures load correctly, the last one is Joe dealing death in the middle of the street. The red pipe cleaners on the figs mean they're wounded. Joe is on the left.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 06:58:02 AM by Legionaire22 »
Zombies make me poop!

Offline Gutbukkit

• Mad Scientist
    • Hrafnslith - Dark Age Reenactment
Re: Handful Of Quarters II
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 07:53:55 AM »
Sounds like another great game. Thanks for sharing. That set up looks fab.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 10:40:10 AM »
I agree, beautiful looking game. And well done on taming the chaos!
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 11:21:51 AM »
Sounds very cool and fun. Joe's a real killer. :o
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 11:24:08 AM »
Now...that sounds like a damn good game.  lol   The dice rolling, well...your luck must have rubbed off on some of those.   :D

PS: Between the dead and wounded, a slick 80% casualty rate..sounds about right!  :`
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 12:10:11 PM »
Great game report.  Loved the description of the shootout between Joe and the Preacher.  lol  Your town looks fantastic as well.