Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:07:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (London Warrroom) Hyderabadi Women Sepoys  (Read 2110 times)

Offline abdul666lw

• Scientist
    • Lacepulp & High Adventure (board)
(London Warrroom) Hyderabadi Women Sepoys
« on: October 28, 2013, 11:47:34 AM »
Years ago the now defunct London Warroom had "Zuffur Plutun Hyderabadi Women Sepoys" on their list, but without image: then *someone, somewhere* may have bought and painted them, and maybe taken some photos?

Are these Women Sepoys historical (references?) or imaginary?

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
Re: (London Warrroom) Hyderabadi Women Sepoys
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
You wouldn't happen to have their old list would you.

IIRC, there was a group that may be these that you mention, or is perhaps another group on the list, but from what I remember the sepoys were armed with these great huge matchlocks(?) that the womenfolk lugged around (and possibly loaded) and which the sepoys fired. The Foundry Burmese book suggests the practice was fairly common. (And I'm sure the ladies will say it's "typical".) ;-)

IIRC the list had a pack "on the march" with the women loaded down with muskets and baggage and the "firing line" pack which had the sepoys firing. It was a long time ago mind you and I might be mistaken.

As far as figures went, they were not the best.

I really wish I had picked up some of his exotic Indian guns but now Indus Miniatures is filling that gap.

Edit: Google pulls up a preview of this book..."White Mughals By Upendrakishore Roychoudhury" which may be of interest.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 12:51:31 PM by Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye »

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 11:16:56 PM »
I have some of those figures that I bought from Vince at Historicon years ago...not the Female Sepoys though sorry. Not the best figures in the world, but I wish someone would put them out again...someone somewhere must have all the molds right?
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
I have some of those figures that I bought from Vince at Historicon years ago...not the Female Sepoys though sorry. Not the best figures in the world, but I wish someone would put them out again...someone somewhere must have all the molds right?

Not to be a downer but from experience in miniatures since the very early 1970s that would be the best possibility.  All the below I have experienced directly or indirectly.   :`

Someone may have the molds and/or rights to reproduce (I have encountered both of those separately causing great frustration since the molds might as well have been since neither set of figures was available because you really need both to legally reproduce the figures.) :(   :'(   Usually people buy them with the intent of reproducing them.  That is the best outcome (and hopefully the most frequent.)   :)

Or they may have been destroyed (intentionally or by heirs who had no interest in the figures.)   :'(   :o  Can the mold materials be recycled?  I assume some can.

Or the molds might have been lost.  One person bought an old line of figures with many molds (not terribly organized and not really documented in writing.)  They are unable to locate several figures in the series because the molds don't seem to be in the set sold or at least the molds have not been found - the individual wrote me that he is still discovering what some of the molds actually produce as time and $$ allow.   ???   >:(  At least part of the series is available currently.    :)

Or the molds might have been bought by someone who decides he or she doesn't want to reproduce them currently.   :?  Now that one I don't really understand but I am sure he or she has reasons that satisfy him or her.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 11:22:08 PM »
Last I heard Brigade Games bought them and were going to reproduce them, but that is a foggy, distant memory at best. Some of the sculpts were much better than others. The artillery was good at least.