Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:44:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686665
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: H.M.A.S. Boudicea  (Read 4594 times)

Offline Servitor of RAFM

• Librarian
    • RAFM Miniatures and Games
Re: H.M.A.S. Boudicea
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 05:35:03 PM »
Totally inspired by viperDan and his mad ramblings and piece pilfering at our shop, here is our attempt at a Steam Airship version, the HMAS Dragonfly. This was built on an old Revell PT109 model hull, stated as 1/64th scale. The shack area was built up with foamcore board and turrets from our Staghound piece added for the Gatling gun positions. The rear are the tail wings off a B-24 bomber. Enjoy.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 05:51:09 PM by Servitor of RAFM »
Silver Fox Productions Inc.
RAFM Miniatures

RAFM's Forums

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 01:56:46 PM »
Totally inspired by viperDan and his mad ramblings and piece pilfering at our shop, here is our attempt at a Steam Airship version, the HMAS Dragonfly. This was built on an old Revell PT109 model hull, stated as 1/64th scale. The shack area was built up with foamcore board and turrets from our Staghound piece added for the Gatling gun positions. The rear are the tail wings off a B-24 bomber. Enjoy.

Enjoy, I have!

By the by, what are the danglies, both source and intended 'use'?

Also, what are you doing with the rest of the bomber?  :D

Doug

Offline Servitor of RAFM

• Librarian
    • RAFM Miniatures and Games
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 08:39:41 PM »
By "danglies" I assume you mean the landing gear on the bottom of the hull. The pieces are from the kit RAF 1844 Johan Ripponoff and Doom Ray. It is the base and bipod for the raygun.
I have plans for the remains of the B-24 model kit, the hull will become a gondola for a dirigible that I have the balloon hanging around at the shop here. The engines and propellers I will use for the dirigible as well. I do not know what I will do with the wings.
I have been chatting it up with our 3D designer here and he says he will work on an airship design if I can get ten people who say they would "buy one" here on the forum. The airship would be 12" long, 4" wide and up to 6" tall, roughly the size of that one I have pictured. It would have a hull and superstructure made of resin and pieces and bits of metal.
Also, the bits used on the above picture can be made available as a bash kit if anyone is interested in that.
I am also currently working on a smaller craft which is based off a 1/72nd scale PT Boat model kit. Pictures of that will follow.
Thanks all for the positive comments, it gives us the initiative to keep going here.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 12:15:05 AM »

I have been chatting it up with our 3D designer here and he says he will work on an airship design if I can get ten people who say they would "buy one" here on the forum.

That would depend entirely on whether I liked the design ;)
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 11:03:06 AM »
By "danglies" I assume you mean the landing gear on the bottom of the hull. The pieces are from the kit RAF 1844 Johan Ripponoff and Doom Ray. It is the base and bipod for the raygun.

Quite!

A friend has the Ray which I'm still dreading to see in a game, but I never recognized parts nor them as landing gear. Interesting.

Quote from: Servitor of RAFM
I have plans for the remains of the B-24 model kit, the hull will become a gondola for a dirigible that I have the balloon hanging around at the shop here. The engines and propellers I will use for the dirigible as well. I do not know what I will do with the wings.

That is clever; I find the hull surprisingly skinny when I've tried re-purposing it. Looking forward to it!

Edit: Wings! Large, curved panels crawling with rivets...  ;)

Quote from: Servitor of RAFM
I have been chatting it up with our 3D designer here and he says he will work on an airship design if I can get ten people who say they would "buy one" here on the forum. The airship would be 12" long, 4" wide and up to 6" tall, roughly the size of that one I have pictured. It would have a hull and superstructure made of resin and pieces and bits of metal.

That would depend entirely on whether I liked the design ;)

Truly spoken, and price would be a consideration to a skinflint as myself, but you have my strong interest as well!

Edit: Sorry for the threadjack, V4D! Did want to say having the bridge that much forward may not work for others, but I'm assuming most captains would prefer that much vantage, especially as seeing down is far more important than for a sea vessel.

Doug
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 11:44:32 AM by The_Beast »