Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:30:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cheetors Alien Flora & Fauna: Cirripods 25/10/16  (Read 24900 times)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Cheetors Alien Flora & Fauna: Cirripods 25/10/16
« on: October 29, 2013, 12:37:27 PM »
My recent 40K skirmish project ended up including a few alien animals and oddballs like Gyrinx and Enslavers.  I enjoyed painting them far more than I expected.

With enthusiasm for weird alien animals and plants in miniature running high at chateau cheetor I decided to make a list of the sort of sci-fi wandering monsters and biological hazards that I want for my games.  Many of them come from the Rogue Trader bestiary but there are a few others from other sources too.  

I dont feel locked into the RT stuff, buts its as good a place as any to start.  The list details are HERE.

This is a long term project with plans to add things here and there for a while, so it wont be finished any time soon.  I do hope to make steady progress through the list though.  The bold titles link back to my blog entries on each of the creatures/plants.

The first entry is this CATACHAN DEVIL (a very quickly painted Reaper Bones Ice Wyrm)

I painted it to match the Necromunda Milliasaurs that I painted a few years ago.  Those smaller guys will hopefully feature as its young in a future game.

Next is a CTHELLEAN CUDBEAR (a SotTR Urzine Were Bear)

The model is hard to photograph due to its pose, but it does actually have a face, as shown here:

The model is roughly ogre sized.

The next thing that I got finished was a suitable pack of middle sized predators, which will serve as proxy DEATH FERRETS (Splintered Light 15mm Dire Hyeneae, plus a Reaper ferret familiar:

I finished off a herd of 24 DUNGERS (from Ramshackle Games) over the weekend.  Although they are not a perfect visual match for RT grox, they will serve a similar role in my games.

For the sake of completeness I am going to include a couple of shots of the figures from the other projects that directly led to this one.  You may have seen some of these before though:

ENSLAVERS:

GYRINX:

GIANT RATS

And finally some of the beasts frolicking in their natural environment, Discovery channel style:

I find it to be a bit of an odd diversion from painting yet more spacemen with guns to be honest, but painting these has been surprisingly rewarding, so expect some more additions as the months go by.  I am looking forward to getting some hostile plants done in particular.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 07:34:14 PM by cheetor »

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Cheetors Alien Flora & Fauna
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 12:41:08 PM »
very nice! i like the cudbear! i will be borrowing that idea, have you got an ambull?

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 12:44:53 PM »
That's a great collection and some rather suitable proxies  :-*

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 12:45:07 PM »
very nice! i like the cudbear! i will be borrowing that idea, have you got an ambull?

No  :'(

Some day...

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 01:46:45 PM »
Nifty stuff.  You should pick up some of the old Vor Growlers.  They would fit right in.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 01:47:39 PM »
Very cool stuff!

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 01:58:16 PM »
Excellent work paul.  ;D
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Online The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 02:21:05 PM »
Nifty stuff.  You should pick up some of the old Vor Growlers.  They would fit right in.

As a friend once said, what Orks SHOULD have been.

I remember multiplayer RT Deathworld games where you COULD shoot at opponents, but you were usually too busy shooting the locals. I remember the fellow running it used to bemoan how no one would pay for sensor/tricorder/thingy (really don't recall what they were called at the time; damn brain farts). So they'd be constantly 'touching' what they shouldn't.  lol

Thanks SO much for sharing. Probably don't, but I'll take a look to see if I've an ambull hiding in a pile o' lead.

Doug

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 03:17:36 PM »

I remember multiplayer RT Deathworld games where you COULD shoot at opponents, but you were usually too busy shooting the locals.

The aim would be to have a populated Deathworld table in the end, complete with enough hostile animals and plants to ensure that whatever bumped into will be unexpected.  But the real driver for this project is that it allows me to paint all sorts of weird miniatures in all sorts of unlikely colours :)

I'll take a look to see if I've an ambull hiding in a pile o' lead.

Doug, f you have an ambull looking for a home then dont hesitate to let me know.  I am pretty certain that we could come to some sort of arrangement and I will get it painted and up here within three days of receipt, guaranteed :)

And thanks for the kind words.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 03:31:38 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone  8)

very nice! i like the cudbear! i will be borrowing that idea

I saw the were bear in a bargain bin at a con and a light went on in my head.  Its actually quite a good match for the RT cudbear illustration, but possibly a little more alien and therefore better I think.

The Ice Wyrm isnt a perfect match for the Catachan Devil illustration either, but I think that its definitely close enough.  Like the Cudbear the wyrm model is arguably better than the illustration.  To me anyway.

Thats not a bad idea at all actually and I have been looking for an excuse to get a few growlers for years. Ahem.

My only reservation is that the growlers look a bit Muppet Show.  Obviously with the inclusion of the Dungers Im not averse to a bit of goofy monster silliness, but a load of growlers in conjunction with the rest might be a step to far.

Ah, who am I kidding.  Im off to the bazaar to beg for growlers :D

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 04:46:05 PM »
This is great, I need to get so many of the miniatures here. Just brilliant.

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 07:32:31 PM »
Absolutey perfect! I really need to paint my Dungers. o_o

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 12:22:42 AM »
Great stuff all over!!!

Personally I don't like the were bear model, put the paintjob is great... I think it is because the pose often make it look like the head is a thick worm with a mouth and no face... I guess it doesn't look so much like that, when you see it down on a table.

You really have a thing going here, the beasts and terrain goes so well together.. also with the non beast models.

About the Vor Growlers, I think they would look less like cartoon/muppet creatures after a paintjob from you, I think lot of that comes from their strange paintjobs they usually came in.

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 04:03:49 AM »
Wow!
Those are all really cool!
It sure makes for one f***ed up death world scenario.

Offline Rob_Jedi

• Librarian
    • Rob Jedi's Miniature Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 04:47:46 AM »
Beautiful stuff there, love the crazy colours. Where is the Alf mini from?