Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:05:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Cheetors Alien Flora & Fauna: Cirripods 25/10/16  (Read 25119 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Cheetors Alien Flora & Fauna: Rippy-fish 29/08/14
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2014, 11:03:17 AM »

(and I'm regretting I didn't get the Ice Wyrm with my BONES)

They are pretty cheap, I picked one up last week from the local store
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2014, 11:57:19 AM »
Thanks guys, the feedback is always apprciated. 

The fish are only a small entry in the project but as my output has slumped a bit recently, I thought that a small, fun and rapidly turned around Fauna project would be just the ticket.  Painting those was rapid and satisfying.

cracking Stuff once again  :) one of my fave Threads on LAF  8)

Very kind, thanks.  Most of the folks on the forum have an interest in jungle tables I think and surely all sci-fi fans have an interest in a Deathworld jungle.  Not very many folks seem to get around to it though, so I think that people get an extra vicarious kick out of this project.

Ooooh! Those fish are cute (but probably as deadly as the piranhas from Piranha 3D).

Thanks.

Im afraid that I havent had the pleasure of seeing Piranha 3D.  I had planned to go, but an opportunity to jam my nuts in a filing cabinet drawer came along, so I did that instead ;)  lol

You are managing this fauna project outstandingly well :-*

It trundles along in bursts here and there and I find it enjoyable, so I will stick at it for quite a while yet I suspect.  I have quite a few elements done now, so rather than search for specific models I just keep my eye out for things and pick them up in passing.  The Rippy-fish are a good example of that.

What a veritable treasure trove of fabulous stuff!

Hats off, splendid work...

(and I'm regretting I didn't get the Ice Wyrm with my BONES)

Thanks.  The Ice Wyrm was one of those sudden flash of inspiration moments.  I have yet to see a better model for use as a Catachan Devil.

I am officially 'borrowing' all of these ideas for when I do my Pulp jungle terrain next year.
There you go, I have confessed.... ::)

Help yourself.  I am certain that I will end up pilfering some of your ideas when you get stuck in :)

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2014, 12:53:11 PM »
It's always interesting to see what you're adding to this thread. A cornucopia of inspiration, if ever there was one!

BTW, did you pimp your pegasus river? I bought a set earlier this year but I haven't really sat down to look at it. At first glance, it looked a little bland. In particular, the naked plastic banks are a little grating next to my golf green like gaming surface. I've been thinking about doing the edges up like I do my bases. Don't want to add reeds or anything, I enjoy being able to store them in a pile.
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2014, 12:59:11 PM »
It's always interesting to see what you're adding to this thread. A cornucopia of inspiration, if ever there was one!

Thanks!  I have an urge to paint the Ambull tonight.  Im nervous, its like a blind date.

BTW, did you pimp your pegasus river?

Nope, straight out of the box as is.  The painting on the water is a bit rough in places (the scratchy drybrushing done at the factory is visible in the shot above) but its more than adequate for gaming with as supplied.  The brown banks look pretty appropriate on my Zuzzy mat, but thats largely just luck.  If I had an eighteenth hole like terrain set then I would at least drybrush the brown bits out towards the edge in a suitable colour to blend it in a bit.

Reeds and things are cool for sure, but storage is a big deal for me.  There isnt any point making/painting/buying something if you cant store it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 11:56:21 AM by cheetor »

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Re: Cheetors Alien Flora & Fauna: Ambull 30/08/14
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2014, 10:05:34 PM »
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:11:01 PM by cheetor »

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2014, 10:10:37 PM »
Inspired by some discussion about this project, yesterday I decided to tackle the Ambull that I picked up earlier this year.

The Ambull is something of a poster boy for the Rogue Trader Deathworld (along with the Catachan Devil and the Cthellean Cudbear) so it was enjoyable to finally get around to painting the funny looking old thing.

The blog post is here.

Comments and criticisms all welcome :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:13:23 PM by cheetor »

Offline PF

• Scientist
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2014, 10:32:27 PM »
I was already jealous of your paintings. Seeing that ambull I now hate you. :D
Is the terrain Battle Systems stuff? We bought a ton with the buddies at the club. Looks like it will take us some time to assemble it tho. Was it easy for you?

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2014, 10:37:58 PM »
 :o :o :o

You have gone and raised the bar again with that paintjob.
That is officially the best Ambull I have seen to date.
 :-* :-* :-*

And one of my favourite RT figures too.
 8)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2014, 10:49:02 PM »
Fantastic work  :-* :-*

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2014, 10:21:58 AM »
Great work on that old mini man! Still cool to see how good that sculpt is if you consider its age.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2014, 11:00:58 AM »
Amazing! :D

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2014, 03:54:37 PM »
I always loved that model, but I got rid of the 3 I had when I realized I had yet to finish painting even one (in almost 20 years).  Beautiful job on this one, by the way.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2014, 05:41:01 PM »
Great job on the Ambull.

I had two of them, long ago... :(
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2014, 09:08:23 PM »
Nice work. I love the photos with the eldar and the orks.  :)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2014, 09:12:12 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone.  The subject is always going to be quite fondly regarded by a certain age profile.  I did really get a kick out of finally getting an ambull painted.

I was already jealous of your paintings. Seeing that ambull I now hate you. :D

No sweat PF.  Your beautiful sculpting means that I hate you a great deal more ;) lol

Is the terrain Battle Systems stuff? We bought a ton with the buddies at the club. Looks like it will take us some time to assemble it tho. Was it easy for you?

It is of course significantly less time consuming than building those things from scratch, but it still takes time.  Its like a load of flat pack Ikea furniture: none of the process stages are particularly difficult, but it does take time.

That is officially the best Ambull I have seen to date.

Thats very flattering Mason, thanks, although I am certain that there are many Ambulls out there painted to a much higher technical standard.  That said, a lot of ambulls are painted in quite a dull brown, which is bit uninspiring.  Another thing about painted ambulls is that people seem to paint certain textures on the sculpt pretty randomly, so they look a bit incoherent to me.

I tried to make sure that there was decent contrast on the tough, shell/chitin parts rather than a fairly flat colour, like a scuffed tortoise shell or similar, deliberately slightly chalky.  

I also tried to follow through on the treatment of each of the "meatier" parts of the model.  A lot of ambulls look like they are covered in a turtle like shell with two tubes perched on top.  I tried to integrate the tubes into the look of the softer parts of the model a bit (and there was a bit of fudging where I wasnt sure what was what).  It makes the model design make more visual sense to me.

Nice work. I love the photos with the eldar and the orks.  :)

Thanks.  Im not great at those sorts of shots (or miniature photography in general) but I do enjoy trying to pose the little guys.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 11:57:33 AM by cheetor »