Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:40:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690937
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Preparing Christmas list...Airbrush question  (Read 3351 times)

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
Re: Preparing Christmas list...Airbrush question
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 08:05:22 AM »
Hi,

A question about the airbrush hose : what lenght do you suggest ? Any materil prefered (I see that some tubes are plastic, vynil, braided) ?

Last question (for now  lol) what do you think of this kind of compressors, with embedded mini tank (in this case, 0.2L) ?

http://www.airbrushsupplyonline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=1658

thanks. I decided to go for a "Neo For Iwata" airbrush (for the spare parts available), but still thinking about the compressor choice. For now, I'm thinking of a 100euros 3L tank model, but if I can save some money...

thanks

I'd say a 0.2l tank is pretty much a waste of time, but I'm from the school that says a big compressor ticking over is better than a small one running flat out all the time lol However, my compressor is not the sort of thing you want in the house with you!

I've used vinyl and tygon tubing to connect from the filter unit to the brush. Both seem to work well.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 10:00:52 AM »
Ok, I'll go for a 3L tank compressor, wich is a good balance between no tank (or small tank) and garage big compressor (even if this last one could be used of other things than modelling, I know).

thank you !

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 11:05:24 AM »
Christmas approaching  lol

I decided to go for this compressor :

http://www.airbrushsupplyonline.com/compressors/mini-airbrush-compressor-with-tank-as186-oil-free

And the iwata neo CN (gravity feed) for minis painting, and detailling.

BUT...But I made some searching on internet, and I saw a lot of people using a bottom feed airbrush for big projects, like big kit models, scenery, etc...

It seems to be more easier to keep pre-mixed bottles of diferent paints (for example, one bottle of green for bases, one bottle of grey, one bottle of brown). IS that true ?

My main goal is to paint scenery and minis base coating, and sometimes a big monster (dragon or things like that) or battletech mechs.  But mainly, scenery and minis base coating. I've got tons of delayed work to finish, and they are all scenery related.

I'm also thinking that maybe I could have a side small business making scenery (as I did in the past, perhaps some of you have some of my work on your wargaming tables  lol), so I would use often the same paint schemes on pieces (I'm currently unemployed, tough economical period here in France  :( ).

So do you think, keeping the iwata gravity feed airbrush for fine jobs, should I add a cheap bottom feed dual action airbrush + a set of spare bottles would be usefull for my needs ?   what size of needle ? 

Or maybe, should I go for only one relatively good bottom  feed airbrush (IWata Neo 0.5mm bottom feed version ) ?  Since I will be using a 3l tank compressor, it should give suficient pressure for bottom feed ?

thank you for your help.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 03:14:07 PM »
An Iwata gravity fed is a super brush for neat work. I would recommend it without hesitation. A suction spray gun will probably cost less than 20 euros, so I would get a cheap one for large-scale work and have a nice gravity-fed Iwata for fine work.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 03:18:13 PM »
THanks for the help. For the suction fed gun/airbrush, what needle size do you recommand ?

EDIT : is something like that (single action) is good for my needs, as a 2nd airbrush :

http://www.airbrushsupplyonline.com/airbrushes/airbrush-supply-online/single-action/hs38-single-action-external-mix-airbrush

As I explained, the purpose is mainly for primer and base coating scenery (and big pieces as dragons, vehicules), but also fast shading scenery.

Or should I go for a dual action even for that ?

http://www.airbrushsupplyonline.com/airbrushes/airbrush-supply-online/dual-action/hs28-bottom-feed-dual-action-airbrush-set

thanks
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 03:29:59 PM by sundayhero »