Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:09:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690680
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley's Perilous Island, Chapter 9 -- FORBIDDEN CITY  (Read 21006 times)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Pulp Alley's Perilous Island, Chapter 9 -- FORBIDDEN CITY
« on: October 30, 2013, 07:29:28 AM »
This is scenario #9 of our Pulp Alley, Perilous Island campaign -- FORBIDDEN CITY

The insurmountable walls of the ancient Enochean city loom high over the mutated jungle plants. Amazingly advanced for an ancient civilization, the obvious influence of technology beyond their time, adds more to the mysteries of Perilous Island.

The unsettling feeling of being watched is inescapable. An inhuman cry rips through the silence, shattering hardened nerves like glass. What manner of creature could make such a savage sound?

Amongst the pages of Darrow’s journal, he describes a weird ritual for unlocking the cyclopean gate. If in fact he made it this far, Lord Darrow must now be inside the city...

Opening the Gate – The complexity and difficulty of the scenarios has slowly increased as the campaign has progressed. In this scenario, three ancient altars must be activated in the same turn to open the gate to the Forbidden City. If all three altars are not successfully activated in the same turn, then all three deactivate and must be re-activated all over again.

With 3 players, they decide to split up and have each league go after a specific altar --
Altar of Power (Plot Point) — 2 successes with Might or Finesse.
Altar of Dreams (Plot Point) — 2 successes with Finesse or Cunning.
Altar of Knowledge (Plot Point) — 2 successes with Cunning or Might.

The Golden Guardian — Blocking their path is an ancient guardian brought to life by esoteric Enochean sigils and the power of the Perilium element. This immortal metal construct may be ‘deactivated’ but never truly destroyed. While it defends the gate, it will be far more difficult to pass through.

The twisted plants surrounding the ancient walls move unnaturally, as if reaching out to drawn Pulp Girl into the thicket…

Hook’s sniper takes up a position on a nearby cliff, as Hook cautiously approaches the ancient Enochean Altar of Power…

Badonka is the first to reach an altar, and has no probably unlocking the secret of the Altar of Dreams. However, one of her colleagues catches the attention of The Guardian and blast him with the beam of pure Perilium energy. ZAP! Skin and clothes smoking, he falls to the ground writhing in agony…

Scouting the area, Mak spots Badonka’s native guide and opens fire – but learns that the guide’s aim is true and his spear is very sharp…

Pulp Girl finds the third altar, but the thorny vines lash tightly around her feet and trip her up…

Hook activates the Altar of Power and his sniper provides covering fire…

Kisa rushes the Guardian, but even her razor claws fail to damage the ancient statue. The Guardian’s searing touch leaves scorch marks the tiger’s fur…

The leagues only activated two of the altars last turn, so as the new turn starts they still must try to get all three activated at the same time…

While Kisa engages the Guardian, Suzy leads Lady Elaine towards the gate, “This way, quickly, while we can!” Unfortunately, they are about to regret this sneaky move…

Just as Hook re-activates the altar, he is rushed by two of Pulp Girl’s colleagues. The brawl is fierce, but Hook is more than a match for Pulp Girl’s allies…

Pulp Girl’s colleagues continue to aggressively engage and attack at every opportunity…

The Guardian immediately sense when Suzy and Elaine approach the gate. Leaping through the air, the Guardian’s fiery fists drive Lady Elaine to the ground…

Another turn goes by without getting all three altars activated, and time is running out!…

Still hurting from their first engagement, Kisa the Tiger rushes the Guardian again but is smashed to the ground by its burning metal fists…

Hook holds off Pulp Girl’s colleagues and gives his sidekick the time she needs to activate the altar…

Meanwhile, the Guardian puts its many arms to good use and reminds everyone why it is called a “Terror”!...

As turn #4 ends, all three altars are finally activated and the great gate screeches open. Now the leagues have only two turns to get through the gate!…

At this point, it becomes a mad dash with everyone running for the gate – but not all of them make it through…

...the pale greenish-blue light of the Perilium-powered Guardian fades behind you as the great gate slams shut. The once majestic city lies blackened and ruined. At the end of the grand  thoroughfare the unholy temple of Ba’al Enoch pulses with an evil glow.

Lord Darrow’s final terrifying fate will be revealed next week on this forum...

In the climactic and thrilling Chapter #10 -- HELL UNLEASHED!

More to come...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 09:11:21 PM by d phipps »

Prof. Dinglebat. Phd.

Re: Pulp Alley's Perilous Island, Chapter 9 -- FORBIDDEN CITY
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 10:01:44 AM »
Plan B ?  lol

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 03:21:41 PM »
RUN AWAY!

Looking forward to Chapter 9!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 03:24:57 PM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 03:07:27 AM »
Looks cool, I can't wait to see more!
 :D

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 09:34:28 PM »
Updated to include full AAR.

Notes --

Previously, we've seen the Guardian get ko'd by the third turn. That was not the case this time, as it seemed completely unstoppable. Somehow I managed to pass every single Health check!  ;D

Although the players agreed to deploying to activate one altar each, this didn't stop them from trying to stop each other from making it through the gate.

Badonka's league drew the attention of the guardian quite early and really paid the price. All of Badonka's colleagues will be 'delayed' in the following chapter.

THANKS

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 01:38:55 AM »
Another great ARR.

Waiting next chapter.

Thanks for sharing.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Online FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 02:50:58 AM »
And many elbows were thrown.  :D

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 02:58:19 AM »
Another great AAR!
I'm looking forward to the conclusion.
Thanks

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 03:28:38 AM »
Sounds great...I love the narrative nature of the campaign. How have you handled players who made it for one session but not the next? Or have you had perfect attendance (not surprising -- I wouldn't want to miss a session, either!)?

Mike Demana

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 09:36:05 AM »
Simply brilliant, as always. Can't say anymore!  :-*

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 01:04:29 PM »
Sounds great...I love the narrative nature of the campaign. How have you handled players who made it for one session but not the next? Or have you had perfect attendance (not surprising -- I wouldn't want to miss a session, either!)?

Mike Demana

We usually have extra players hanging around and ready to jump in if someone doesn't show up.

For this campaign we only had one person absent for one week, but it happened to fall on a night when we were doing a 2-player scenario (Jungle Trail). So we just assumed Hook's league spent that time getting lost in the jungle.  lol lol

THANKS for all the kind comments!

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 04:55:54 PM »
Great stuff!  :-*
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 02:41:10 AM »
This was a really fun scenario to play. It's always fun when there's a pile of miniatures down lol

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline BlackSmoke

• Librarian
    • The Colour of War
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 01:36:57 PM »
Great AAR as usual! My Pulp Alley group at the club has recruited another member and we're going to kick off a Perilous Island campaign for him, to try and keep the number of leagues in the Dirk Drake campaign a bit more manageable.

Can't wait! :)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 03:23:57 PM »
Great AAR as usual! My Pulp Alley group at the club has recruited another member and we're going to kick off a Perilous Island campaign for him, to try and keep the number of leagues in the Dirk Drake campaign a bit more manageable.

Can't wait! :)

Oh yes! Playing through the Perilous Island campaign was lots of fun.

I think our last one took 10 weeks from start to finish. They could have easily finished it in half the time, but I asked them to only play one campaign game per week.

Personally, I encourage players to play most of the scenarios as 2-player games -- if you have the space/terrain/players to support having 2-3 games going on at one time. Mila, on the other hand, really likes the bigger 3-4 player games. So it's all a matter of personal preference.

HAVE FUN