Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:53:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690860
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: questions on modern insurgents and french troops in 20mm  (Read 10600 times)

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
Re: questions on modern insurgents and french troops in 20mm
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2013, 06:50:03 PM »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2013, 06:56:26 PM »
Interesting, so it could complete the Eliehm french minis, even if half the set is dedicated to chinese army.

Especially the ERYX operator and the radio operator, wich can be used in OPEX ruleset. The officer with kepi seems to be more suitable for our 14th july national celebration  lol

I'd see if I can find these minis only. Otherwise, I'll convert some Eliehm minis from other countries (I already thought about this for french special forces, since they are using all kinds of loadouts).

Thank you !

@Carlos : I choosed 20mm scale. It's the best balance between price, availability and details. I'm also especially searching for french modern troops only.

For vehicules, I will probably wait a bit, since I would need at least 3 VAB and one VBL and/or VPS for several scenerios. But the cost (including a complete french combat section + insurgents and milicias) will be too expensive for now.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2013, 07:01:27 PM »
I didn't read the thread properly. Nevermind.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2013, 09:34:13 PM »
Eureka make a wide range of suitable insurgents. The Somalis in shemagh are actually perfect for Mali. Their ZANLA range has a lot of useful figures too.

For cheaper filler consider getting the Wargames Factory survivors box. Cramed full of useful stuff especially weapons.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2013, 09:59:59 PM »
Thanks,

I've got the survivors box, but except the AKs, not every mini can be used for insurgents. Other 28mm military like eureka minis are incredible, but not suitable for my wallet.

1/72-20mm still already a bit pricey for my taste (remember that I play a lot of other games), but for now I didn't see anything really impressive painted in 15mm modern warfare, so I'm a little biased.

Regarding my current budget, I've got 2 solutions :

1)buy minis only in 1/72 (regular troops in metal, insurgents in soft plastic), no vehicles
2)buy minis in 15mm, all metal, including vehicules for the same price

If you have good links to share on modern 15mm...Feel free to share ;)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2013, 12:44:30 AM »
I finally made the last choice of 15mm, after I saw the peter pig modern gallery (at the very end of the web page) :

http://www.peterpig.co.uk/ak47_range_17.htm

and this marvellous website (even if it's almost only WW2) :o :

http://www.heresybrush.com/category/15mm/

15mm definitly has all the details and character I need  :-*

I'll keep you informed about my progress.

edit: or...maybe 20mm....  ???  I'm still not sure finally  lol
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 04:39:14 PM by sundayhero »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2013, 08:06:22 PM »
Concerning 20mm, do you see any good proxies in eleihm or sandsmodels 1/72 minis crews (2 figs) to represent french ERYX and/OR LRAC operators ?

I need 2 anti tank trams for my support group, using these kind of weapons. Sgt  Scream indicated me that the Caesar boxest contained 2 heavy weapon operators, but buying a complete box (around 15euros including shipping) only for this is a bit annoying. I would rather prefer to find good proxies (I can resculpt some details if needed) to combine shipping to my future Eliehm and Sandsmodels orders.

Each heavyweapong crew includes one gunner + 1 servant with FAMAS rifle.

Any good ideas (again, in Eliehm and Sandsmodels webstores) for good french special forces proxies would be appreciated. But for this, I believe any modern soldier with modern gear would do the trick since loadouts are free for french FS.

Thanks !
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 08:08:58 PM by sundayhero »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2013, 09:32:02 PM »
Thanks, but the point is to combine as much items as possible in the 2 shops I'm planning to order, to save shipping costs ;)

Offline Maspalio

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2013, 11:34:25 AM »
About the rules, I used "Duel moderne", a "not-well-known" ruleset but a very good french one.
Originally made for 20mm minis

In the same book, you have the core rules which are intuitive and complete, and army lists for colonial wars (XIX), 1914-1918, 1939-45, Vietnam, Indochine, NATO versus Warsaw Pact, French army list for modern conflicts, terrorists VS special forces, and at the end, Science fiction army list (rebels, mutants, stellar empire etc)

a huge list of vehicles with their charateristics is available and a point system which allow you to create your own vehicles too (all in the book)

It's mainly for skirmish but can work for larger battles with some modifications

I don't know if it's currently available somewhere (send me a MP for more about that)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2013, 12:59:53 PM »
Thanks, I'll take a look on infos on this ruleset, and come back to you if I'm interested.

COncerning my minis project, I'm slowly going for 20mm choice...I'd like to represent last french conflict in Mali, Africa.

I searched a bit on google, but there is a real lack of images of the opposing forces. For what I see/know, the opposition forces are very diferent from Somalia militias, for example, and more organized/geared like afghan troops. But maybe I do a complete mistake.

It's why I thought about buying afghan-style miniatures, not typical "somalia-ish" black skin militia people. Do you think it would be accurate enough ?  The good thing is that I would be able to use these forces for Afghanistan too.

Last question, for 20mm 4x4 "technicals" anyone is using regular diecast cars (majorette, matchbox, hotweel) for this purpose ?

thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 01:10:10 PM by sundayhero »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2013, 03:54:52 PM »
Last infos :

I finally choosed 20mm, and place orders on both UK stores for french APC vehicules, a mix of afghan warriors and insurgents (wich I'll use for both Afghanistan and Mali conflicts), and of course a complete french combat group (don't know the equivalent in english of this organisation, composed of a command group, a support group, and 3 combat teams) and a group of special forces operators.

I also bought a couple of technical HMG operators, so the question on compatible diecast technicals remaining ;)

Offline sandsmodels

• Scientist
    • s&s models
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2013, 07:21:17 PM »
we also have quite good range of gulf war 1 french infantry in helmets and berets including milan teams and a/t weapons.
they are not as yet on our webshop but will be soon,
thanks
shaun
s&s models
www.sandsmodels.com
sales@sandsmodels.com
makers of 20mm and 28mm vehicles, guns, figures and buildings for the gamer.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2013, 09:19:21 PM »
THanks,

I'll look forward for these new models. As I said to you, I plan other orders before the end of the year ;)

Even if they are 1990+ and I'm more interested in 2000+ subjects, The beret frenchs still could be interesting for foreign legion in Afghanistan or even 2013 Mali, for example.

The support teams with AT weapons too (this time I ordered some regular US troops with heavy weapon to convert them as ERYX and LRAC group, for example).

I'll look forward, definitly. It will be combined with my future light vehicles project we talked about.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2013, 01:03:14 AM »
ANyone using diecast pickups as technicals for 20mm gaming ? Standard 1/64 should do the trick (trying to find some models on the small side of scale) ?

Examples welcome :) Waiting for my orders to come, I'd like to start to work on this new game, making scenery and technicals would be a good way to do it.

I also ordered 80 dice (!) today, 2 complete 40 dice sets (red and blue, numeral d6, d8, 1-10 d10, D12) for two players, compatible with both opex and FoF.