Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:22:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690665
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ranger uniforms  (Read 4475 times)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Ranger uniforms
« on: October 30, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »
Ok gents I have the guide and some other books on rangers.

I have 3 small units for M&T, one will be in the usual green, the other Gorehams however I notice in one of my reference books a coat whhc is black with blue facings? is this common place, any other references to it...the plate I have is When Empires Collide whihc is Osprey

any help, should I avoid or have a go?

cheers

Karl

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
Re: Ranger uniforms
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 02:08:19 PM »
Hi Karl,

Sounds to me like the uniform issued to the Rangers for the Quebec campaign, which included a blue kilt of the type often worn by sailors, black jacket etc.

I do intend to do a pack or 2 of these later, once my regulars are out. I would say avoid because of the 'kilt' until you find some specific figures.

As an alternative may I suggest: New Jersey Frontier Guard (Capt. Hezekiah Dunn's Company of Rangers) grey coats, green waistcoats, buckskin breeches. Or maybe one of the Provincial ranger companies dressed as their colony's provincials in cut down coats, caps etc, so frequently blue coats, red facings.

Check out the Rangers Painting Guide on our website:

http://www.gallopingmajorwargames.com/page8.htm

Cheers.
Lance

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 04:17:14 PM »
Hi Karl,

Sounds to me like the uniform issued to the Rangers for the Quebec campaign, which included a blue kilt of the type often worn by sailors, black jacket etc.

I do intend to do a pack or 2 of these later, once my regulars are out. I would say avoid because of the 'kilt' until you find some specific figures.

As an alternative may I suggest: New Jersey Frontier Guard (Capt. Hezekiah Dunn's Company of Rangers) grey coats, green waistcoats, buckskin breeches. Or maybe one of the Provincial ranger companies dressed as their colony's provincials in cut down coats, caps etc, so frequently blue coats, red facings.

Check out the Rangers Painting Guide on our website:

http://www.gallopingmajorwargames.com/page8.htm

Cheers.
Lance

Fantastic info Lance, yu know I did wonder if it were a waistcoat, no mention with the picture it was a Kilt!. I think you are spot on. I have printed off your tutorial on painting so jobs a good un  :D

Now sir I need minute plans on your Milita releases and Hat men as being a megalomanic have gone overboard. Love the Provincials beautiful crisp sculpts.

Offline emperorpenguin

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 08:46:30 PM »
Yes some of the rangers at Quebec wore that uniform. Have seen them occasionally referenced as "Wolfe's Rangers". I have painted up one of my Ranger units in that colour scheme myself just because it's such a change to the usual greens and browns  :D
My Fallout Project leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=35048.0

Offline Paleskin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 12:50:18 AM »
Karl,remember wrong number of buttons on any of them and you want be allowed to field them! ;)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 07:48:51 AM »
Karl,remember wrong number of buttons on any of them and you want be allowed to field them! ;)

I have my sewing kits ready  :D anyway I will have words with Mike Owen as these are the Northstar ones ;D

Offline Paleskin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 10:15:36 AM »
French regulars search not showing up much mate?
Any clues anyone?

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 10:19:34 AM »
French regulars search not showing up much mate?
Any clues anyone?

Well....

Conquest have specific ones, may be a bit small with the North star ones
Redoubt have a huge range mate, not seen them and may be a little chunky, thoguht I would recommend their Compagne de la Marine, big but lovely minis
AW miniatures do some, a bit rough but not bad
7 years war
Crusader do some nice one
Foundry, though not as nice as their Brits (have my eye on those) Think they are only for sale online e-bay
Front rank though very old range and may be a little small, always remind me of Dixon minis

Offline Paleskin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 10:28:06 AM »
Not the greatest choice!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 10:38:46 AM »
crusader

without paint on

Foundry

Redoubt Compagne...lovely painted these a while back, only dodgy figre was one of the officers and I reckoon you could use a Galloping major Milita/civilian type, would give you 18 figures in that range. Cant see their regulars on google painted!

Conquest

Front Rank
 these are better than I remember

AW Miniatures

really wish I hadnt sold off my french...c`est la vie ;D

I am hankering some brits form Foudnry, big chaps just bleeding price is a bit steep, online you get free postage e-bay but you alternatively get 3 p4 packs of same for 3

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 10:40:12 AM »
For me mate, I think way I would go (whihc I did last time) was avoid regulars until you need them, build the force up. I would get Redoubt as above, my favourite minis, and then if expanding look at more milice from galloping major.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 11:14:46 AM »
For French regulars you can also draw from the Minden Miniatures line. http://mindenminis.blogspot.com/2012/02/new-french-available-now.html

I have Conquest myself, although I still haven't gotten around to painting them.  ::)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 11:18:33 AM »
For French regulars you can also draw from the Minden Miniatures line. http://mindenminis.blogspot.com/2012/02/new-french-available-now.html

I have Conquest myself, although I still haven't gotten around to painting them.  ::)

Aye if I were using conquest minis I would likely use them. I had their artillery and mounted officers. I know Paleskin is using Northstar froggies so may not suit size wise

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 02:36:16 PM »
How well do Minden size with Redoubt and Galloping Major figures? I have never seen this line before or in person. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 05:57:09 PM »
How well do Minden size with Redoubt and Galloping Major figures? I have never seen this line before or in person. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)

Not at all unfortunatly, they are very much 1/56th in a traditional Stadden style, closest mix would be Conquest miniatures.