Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 02:24:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697703
  • Total Topics: 118854
  • Online Today: 620
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

My preference is that;

I would buy these if they were an accurate squad.
8 (14.5%)
I would perhaps buy these if they had a more representative weapon choice.
11 (20%)
I'd buy them as they are now.
6 (10.9%)
I'm really not interested at all.
20 (36.4%)
None of the above, I would prefer 'Retro' (50's-60's) styling.
10 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: November 06, 2013, 06:33:29 AM

Author Topic: Mantic Modern US Military... Sound Off!  (Read 7066 times)

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
Re: Mantic Modern US Military... Sound Off!
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 01:07:46 AM »
Quick correction, in a USMC squad the fire team leader has the grenade launcher, in an Army squad the grenadier is not the team leader.

I am a HUGE fan of them including a SAW.  the 'What fits on a sprue' excuse is crap, flat out crap.   A SAW gunner will take the exact same space on the sprue that an M4 or M203 (or better yet an M320) gunner takes.   Since the 90k stretch goal was for more poses, and the figures are digitally sculpted it is nothing but laziness keeping Mantic from switching the weapon on one or two of the poses to a SAW.  It really is silly for them to not do so.

As for the other gear, there is no way Mantic is going to make the effort to get it correct.   The load out on the grenadiers should be different from the M4 armed guys, the SL also gets a different load out, as do the team leaders.  The accuracy of the armor and load bearing stuff is great for a game based on trading cards and comic books, but isn't going to win accuracy awards.

Having said that, it (to me) is acceptable IF they get the weapon mix right.

Another thing, the RPG gunner was butt stupid and they have said they will fix it, but intend to base the missile off of the Javelin instead of the AT4.  I can live with that, but it is again a silly thing to do (and for the 'sprue don't fit' excuse is even worse when you look at the size of a javelin vice an AT4 and the appropriate firing positions for each).  And I have to ask, How the Hell does a guy manage to lug a Javelin and the control module/sight around but no one managed to bring a SAW? Remember, the javelin isn't found in the squad (it is a platoon level weapon) but there are two SAWs in the squad.

I'm also sick of the folks making up 'fluff' to account for a lack of SAWs.  Two of nine weapons in a squad are M249s.   In other units you may actually find more of them (My 6 man staff section had 2 SAWs, my hummer mounted recon platoon had 1 per 3 man 'squad', along with a M203, and each 6 man section (two squads) added a M240 (and had a .50 and a MK19 on the 2 hummers) for three dismounted MGs on a 6 man patrol.

So, rant mode over.   Yes, Mantic should include a SAW gunner figure, and the 'it don't fit on the sprue' excuse is crap.  The 90k stretch goal covers the funding.  It is laziness to not have one at this point.

:P  
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 03:32:42 AM »
I really think the human troops missed the boat the dock the seaside town the lot.

In the interest of transparency I would of rathered 50's era guys. Thats my bias.

That is the winning response.  :D
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 06:58:14 AM »
I really think the human troops missed the boat the dock the seaside town the lot.

In the interest of transparency I would of rathered 50's era guys. Thats my bias.

That is the winning response.  :D

I would have to agree wholeheartedly... despite the focus of this thread and as it's a valid viewpoint, I've added the option for this to the poll... you can change your votes on there if you wish.

It's been touted as a possible 'expansion' down the line... how far down is hard to tell, but any votes for it can't hurt. Certainly there's at least one fan for it in the Mantic hierarchy and the TOPPS liaison likes it from the '50 Years of Mars Attacks' angle.

It won't change the main focus of the game itself, but at least you might get the option to swap out the 'Modern' troops in your games, or of course get your hands on some figures otherwise unavailable for the era to use away from the game.

;)

However I do take the point that the original cards featured the 'now' military of its day and that's the line followed by the new cards/comics. The modern setting also seems popular with the current backers of the game, which is where the dollars are and the 'nostalgia' demographic, i.e. 'Gamers of a certain age' and younger 'Retro Fans' seems a relative minority.

The Martians have retained their look because it just wouldn't be Mars Attacks otherwise.  :)

I think they're fine as game pieces and do their job well as part of the boxed game but they don't work for me as separate infantry figures that I'd use for my modern games.
My main reason are the poses, they're game piece poses not fire team poses and they wouldn't look any good based up as a team regardless of their weapon load out.

I hadn't considered that, or indeed noticed it until you mentioned it... but if it puts you off, it's sure to put off a few people. Thanks for that.

:)

So, rant mode over.   Yes, Mantic should include a SAW gunner figure, and the 'it don't fit on the sprue' excuse is crap.  The 90k stretch goal covers the funding.  It is laziness to not have one at this point.

:P  

I agree, as I mention above, 'Ultra-Modern' wasn't my first choice, but if they are going to do it, they should do it properly-ish. Thanks for your support and input in the KS comments by the way.

:)

Offline Quirkworthy

• Scientist
  • Quirkworthy
    • Quirkworthy
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 07:16:00 AM »
Some useful comments guys.

The answer to the question of the appropriate period of GI to use is simple. MA is and always has been based "now", whenever that was. That's the main thread of the cards and comics and the one which is most appropriate because this is a licensed product. If all the GIs in Mars Attacks wore shakos then that's what Mantic would have to do. Of course, there's always room for delving into "historical" Martian invasions, and this could go back much further than the 50s. I wrote about that on my blog the other day (http://quirkworthy.com/2013/10/18/the-astounding-60s/).

Producing a game to go alongside a newly released range of cards and comics that didn't match them would be odd. I'm not sure Topps would be happy about that.

When I said a SAW gunner might not fit on the sprue I meant in addition to what was there already, not as a replacement. Same for any other variations. The cost of making minor changes isn't as much of an issue as the time. However long it takes, it still takes that sculptor away from doing other work and that, plus sprue space will probably be the main limits to what can be done.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 07:16:08 AM »
I changed my vote to '1950 style' but it won't happen because everything in the game is stylistically modern.
As for SAW gunners, does it matter? Are there going to be rules for their use?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 07:18:09 AM by matakishi »

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 07:41:37 AM »
I'm not in the Kickstarter for the the game but for the minis. I suspect many are too. The game is just a bonus. I already have some Empress squads on the way so no need for more. Getting them with the game but don't really care for them except as board game pieces. Would prefer an accurate squad though as I am getting them. Add the SAWs by replacing two of the duplicate poses.

Unless the squads are balanced/realistic I don't see much possibility of post-Kickstarter, not-for-Mars-Attacks, sales. Taking the long view here but no need to reduce the number of potential future buyers of your products. Why would anyone looking to buy just some soldiers, except those looking to get more only for Mars Attacks, buy an inaccurate squad of soldiers when there are lots of more accurate options out there? Some lost future sales there.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2013, 07:46:02 AM »
Another vote for retro cos then I'd actually have some use for them.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Quirkworthy

• Scientist
  • Quirkworthy
    • Quirkworthy
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 07:48:10 AM »
As for SAW gunners, does it matter? Are there going to be rules for their use?

Possibly.

Offline Quirkworthy

• Scientist
  • Quirkworthy
    • Quirkworthy
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 07:57:15 AM »
I wasn't trying to have a go Scurv, just explain why modern. I quite like the retro look too, but some of the new cards are quite evocative (and often a lot better artwork IMO) so there's appeal there too. If I could only pick one for my own set, I'm really not sure which I'd have. As I said, in game it makes little odds.

Old farts edition? It's an appealing marketing angle  ;)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2013, 10:52:39 AM »
After reading the comments, particularly my own, (Note to self:  Priorities, guy, priorities,) I changed my vote.  

No sense buying a game I wouldn't play much less the reality that I shouldn't buy in a scale range (25+) I am trying to get out of as much as possible plus as an old fart/grognard I decided the weapon mix at that size is critical.

May the KS do well.

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 10:54:15 AM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2013, 11:22:04 AM »
Mars Attacks OFE ... does have a certain ring to it.  :D

I changed my vote to '1950 style' but it won't happen because everything in the game is stylistically modern.

Only to a point. Some of the characters and scenery are suitably timeless (but not all) and of course the Martians haven't changed.

Personally I plan on swapping out the Modern Marines/Army anyway... but it sucks a bit that I'll probably have to use WW2 figures instead of something much more 'specific' to the point in time of the originals, but hey.

Offline Quirkworthy

• Scientist
  • Quirkworthy
    • Quirkworthy
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2013, 11:34:59 AM »
...and of course the Martians haven't changed.

Apparently this style of Martian is current from the 1930s. I asked.

Offline Marauderman

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2013, 11:35:22 AM »
Hi every one, I have been fairly vocal on the Mars Attacks Kickstarter from the start about a SAW trooper, I quite like the modern style of the miniatures and the uses beside Mars Attacks. I think the game will be good and the added benefit of using the modern ruin terrain and human troops in other modern, post apocalyptic and future style games is an extra benefit.
I know that companies like Black Scorpion do Good SAW troopers that might match in with mantics plastic US soldiers, but I prefer to support the kickstarter. If mantic doesn't end up with a SAW trooper I will be sourcing some from Black Scorpion and he will be getting some extra orders from me. I think I could also use their snipers and their officers as will if I have to make an order.
Its good to see some of the people from this forum also involved in the Kickstarter forum.
Also good to see that Quickworthy can see that there is some interest out side the kickstarter forum about SAWs in their kickstarter.
Good also to hear that their may be some SAW rules in the Mars Attacks Game Quickworthy.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 11:46:17 AM by Marauderman »

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
Latest update mentions SAW will be put into the set.   

:D

Offline Quirkworthy

• Scientist
  • Quirkworthy
    • Quirkworthy
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2013, 03:08:23 PM »
Good also to hear that their may be some SAW rules in the Mars Attacks Game Quirkworthy.

Yup, SAWs in now.

Spent some time discussing US Army fire teams and so on with the guys this morning and it looks like good news ;)

And if we're putting the models in then I'll include rules for them too.