Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:57:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690989
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Oriental Adventures  (Read 6559 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Oriental Adventures
« on: October 31, 2013, 11:03:52 PM »
Western 'Invasion' a Threat to our Antiquities?
Famed Archeologists Sailing to Indochina

Bonjour, tout le monde! Very interesting rumors have been floating up and down the jungle rivers of French Indochina. It seems many of the West's archeologists are converging on French possessions here. Stories of a new lost city abound. It has been half a century since Monsieur Fournereau brought Angkor Wat to the attention of Europe. His son, Pierre, has been trekking through jungles tirelessly for more than a decade, looking for another wonder. Alas, to no avail. Perhaps the others have a lead that he does not?

The man mentioned in many of the rumors is the rugged American archeologist, Dakota Smith. Professor Smith has been all over the world hunting down fabled religious artifacts. His most recent trip in Asia was in British Burma where he found the Lost Stupa of Stepkahaerfuleenao. We have included a picture below of Dakota, with his constant companion, Mr. Harold Fortwine -- also from Portland State University. His madame of zee moment, Dolly Flanders is also picture, along with American reporter Eric Bylan.

Dakota Smith's blood will boil when he hears his nemesis, German archeologist Von Jaeger, is also on a packet steamer on its way to Indochina. There is no love lost between the two. Each has accused the other in print of shoddy archeology. What's worse, it is said it takes only one drink before the rivals slander the other with accusations of theft and murder as well! Perhaps we are in for some excitement here in Indochina? Here is a photo of Von Jaeger and his companions surveying the Temple of Sreet Vaermoot, not far from Angkor Wat. With him are Fraulein Blucher and his trusted bodyguard, Otto Tulmann.

We also hear that on his way from Hong Kong on a tramp steamer is the British Museum's most trusted acquirer of antiquities, Harris McLeod. The Scottish laird probably received the same tips that our Pierre did that the others were on their way. He doubtless wants to be closer to where Smith and Von Jaeger are operating in hopes of sniffing out rumors of his own. McLeod and the British Museum have a reputation for more than once smuggling out the choicest antiquities from under the French government's nose. Pierre Fournereau has declared that McLeod and his cronies are not welcome in Indochina, but Mr. McLeod's papers are always in order. Sacre blue, those British! Pictured below is Lord McLeod posing with his trusted man, retired British army Maj. Speke-Eastman. The woman in the photograph is McLeod's niece, Clara. She invariably accompanies him on his trips and is a well-known writer and photographer for the London Times.

So, despite our beloved Pierre Fournereau's misgivings, foreign archeologists may soon be tramping the jungles of Indochina, again. As soon as we hear where these esteemed (and not-so-esteemed) gentlemen are heading, we will be sure to report it. Until then, keep one ear to the ground for information on new discoveries!

Claude Beau-sant, Saigon Whisperer

The day of our first Pulp Alley game inches ever nearer, like Dakota Smith's steamer laboring its way across the Pacific. Less than two weeks away...!

Mike Demana

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
Re: Oriental Adventures
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 11:27:06 PM »
Excellent...  lol We want more...

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 02:32:34 AM »
The day of our first Pulp Alley game inches ever nearer, like Dakota Smith's steamer laboring its way across the Pacific. Less than two weeks away...!

Mike Demana

OOoh, the excitement is building!

Hey Mike, you should share your idea for 'alternative plot points' for your upcoming game. Very cool.

HAVE FUN

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 04:32:10 AM »
A great start to some exciting stories.
Love the figures.
Super buildings.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 09:13:00 AM »
This has all the hallmarks of a great game. Really looking forward to your report and more photos. I also like Harris McLeod's trousers, very spiffy!

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 09:36:15 AM »
The father of one of my friends had been a paratrooper during the Indochina War. He walked with difficulty because once during a paratroop exercise he fell right on the pointy things of one of these temples. Ouch...

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 03:29:55 PM »
Very nice work, and the plot's shaping up to be a right old scrap! I'm looking forward to more.
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 04:19:55 PM »
I'm hooked!  Looks like it's gonna be a great campaign.   :)
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 05:14:56 PM »
Excellent on all levels.
The buildings turned out very nicely. I especially like your treatment of the columns.

Like everyone else, I look forward to more. 

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 05:42:18 PM »
Lovely work!
Very impressive!
 :-*

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 08:50:40 PM »
I especially like your treatment of the columns.

And thank YOU for turning me on to CG Textures, where I got the images I used!

Mike Demana

Offline Aaron Malchow

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 10:36:13 PM »
Great photos and description. I feel like I'm right there, ready to join in on the adventure.

Best,
Aaron Malchow

Offline General

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 03:05:45 AM »
Really groovey 8)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 03:42:25 AM »
Hey Mike, you should share your idea for 'alternative plot points' for your upcoming game. Very cool.

Sorry to take so long to get back...I've been working on all the "fiddly bits" for my first game. I am creating cards for each character -- green on one side and red on the other -- to denote those who are good to still go this turn and those who have already acted. I'll post some shots when they're all done. Nothing fancy...just printed out rosters glued to construction paper, but hopefully effective.

I also created markers to put next to figures that have Shot, Brawled, or Dodged (since I will have so many players, I suspect). They are meant to be unobtrusive and look like terrain. So, they are simply tiny, flocked washers with a bush (Woodland Scenics "clump" flocking) on them.

So, as Dave said, I have an idea for "alternative" plot points. There were will be up to six players on a regular basis. The first four teams will be the American, German, British, and French archeological parties. They will go for plot points as normal. The fifth team is a secret martial arts society devoted to keeping religious artifacts out of the hands of the foreign devils and in Asia. My idea for them is that any plot point at the end of the game NOT in the hands of one of the four archeological teams counts as theirs for victory points. And finally, the sixth league is a bandit faction. They are drawn into the action because they covet those wonderful modern guns that the archeological teams are carrying. They have alternative plot points. If a character spends two actions next to a "down and out" character armed with a firearm they count as having secured a minor plot point. They can earn these once per down and out character during the scenario.

I'll be posting my Mission Briefings sometime this week, too. Glad to hear people are interested...hope my players enjoy it as well, of course!

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated, as always...

Mike Demana

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 09:04:21 AM »
Sounds like a great idea, really looking forward to your game report.  :-*