Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:39:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Converting 40k weaponry into Victory Decision: Future Combat  (Read 4522 times)

Offline spevna

• Scientist
Re: Converting 40k weaponry into Victory Decision: Future Combat
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 10:57:39 PM »
I just picked the rules last night and I quite like the look of them.

I want to use them to play a skirmish game with my old RT minis.

Would you lot mind if we branch out a bit in this thread and include 40K races as well as weapons?

Thought I'd ask before an all out hijack  :D

Thanks

Offline magnusthetraitor

• Assistant
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 12:46:15 AM »
I just picked the rules last night and I quite like the look of them.

I want to use them to play a skirmish game with my old RT minis.

Would you lot mind if we branch out a bit in this thread and include 40K races as well as weapons?

Thought I'd ask before an all out hijack  :D

Thanks

Sounds good to me! I've had an average of about 20-25 models per side so far and it has played very well.

Magnus

Offline spevna

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 06:17:54 AM »
I had a gander at the rules today and had a think about how to best represent WH40K Space Marines.

I reckon they should be MCS troops with pulse weaponry.

As for abilities, I reckon any, if not all of the following could be used;

Alert
Combat drugs
Dedicated
Fire team
HP/X
Nerves of steel
Single minded

That makes them out to be superhuman, but I'm worried about it breing excessive.

I also had some thoughts about orks. They should be low tech and armed with assault rifles and SMGs.m

As for abilities ;

Ferocious
HP/X ( to represent that they are pretty robust/tough)
Single minded ( but only if the nob is alive AND the squad numbers more than 10)
Untrained

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 06:37:45 AM by spevna »

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 01:03:05 PM »
That makes them out to be superhuman, but I'm worried about it breing excessive.

That tends to be the dichotomy between the average tac marine in the background and the average tac marine on the tabletop, anyway. ;) Which did you have in mind? (Guessing the former)

I had a look at the low tech list with a mind to orks, meself. But then I thought, how do you work in deff dreads and killa kans?

The thing I'm not sure about for ork boys and tabletop-style tac marines is HP/X. I've only had a cursory look at the book so far, but would it make them too tough? Or would crits even that out?

Offline spevna

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 02:14:01 PM »
That tends to be the dichotomy between the average tac marine in the background and the average tac marine on the tabletop, anyway. ;) Which did you have in mind? (Guessing the former)

I had a look at the low tech list with a mind to orks, meself. But then I thought, how do you work in deff dreads and killa kans?

The thing I'm not sure about for ork boys and tabletop-style tac marines is HP/X. I've only had a cursory look at the book so far, but would it make them too tough? Or would crits even that out?

Personally I would rather have marines perform like they do in the background, but be priced accordingly. They should be hard as nails but expensive.

Yeah, not sure about the HP/X myself.

As for KK and DD, I would just go with mid tech experimental walkers (light and heavy).

Offline magnusthetraitor

• Assistant
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 04:12:16 PM »
So far all I've done "off book" for the Space Marines was bump the MCS power armor infantry squad Crit rating to 7. You would not believe how much tougher that makes the unit than a comparable book squad. Put them in heavy cover and they are tough as nails (Crit 9, Hit 5, Save 2+). I bumped the cost of my Marines by 2-4 pts each to represent the increased Crit.

I haven't messed around with adding any morale improvements, but don't jump immediately to Single-Minded! You're missing half the fun of this rules set, IMO. Even a Space Wolf knows when it is better to move out of the way of incoming fire, and they're crazier than most. I've got a squad of veteran Wolf Guard with Dedicated and Nerves of Steel, based off the MCS Special Forces squad. If you want icewater-in-the-veins badasses who fear no bullets, Dedicated and Nerves of Steel is perfect. For robot-like suicidal advance, then Single-Minded is your huckleberry.

It depends on your interpretation of the background. The Marines of the Horus Heresy novels have a fair amount of self-preservation.

Re: Orks: I've written them so far as the Low Tech army list, with notable additions from the Mid Tech list (Killa Kans as Experimental Light Combat Walkers with Ferocious, and Deff Dreads as the heavy version). For a normal Ork, I figured the fairly robust toughness is balanced by the terrible lack of armor, and left them as is. For the Nob, I did Crit 7+, Hit 4+, Save 5+, Ld 4 with Ferocious and HP/2. Suitably badass, IMO. :-)

For Orky morale, think this one over:
Mob Rule: If a squad of orks numbers over 6 models, the squad gains the Untrained and Single-Minded rules.

This mod keeps in mind that squads tend to be smaller in Future Combat, and that a rowdy, fearless mob of orks is probably not all that great at keeping in cover.

Magnus

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 04:19:13 PM »
For Orky morale, think this one over:
Mob Rule: If a squad of orks numbers over 6 models, the squad gains the Untrained and Single-Minded rules.

I like this idea a lot

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 07:36:30 PM »
I highly recommend following Magnus line of thoughts.
Maybe simply play a couple of games out of the book. MCS Special Forces are also a very solid starting points for SM!

After some games tinker with the rules and units as much as you like!
;)
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline spevna

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 10:05:54 PM »
@Magnus - Very helpful mate, cheers  :)

@Agis - a Yeah, I reckon I need a few vanilla games under my belt before I attempt any kind of tweaking  ;)

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 04:10:57 PM »
Some more thoughts, for obvious IP reasons I can't created 40K related books or files, but I can give some guidelines converting 40K weapons to FuCo:

Str   Damage Die
3   D6-1
4   D6
5   D6+1
6   D6+2
7   D6+3 OR D10
8   D10+2
9   D10+3
10   D10+4

AP   Save/-
6   0
5   1
4   2
3   3
2   4

That would result in the following stats for a Bolter and Stormbolter:
Bolt Gun           3   24”   D6       Rapid Fire, Save/-1
Storm Bolter   3   24"   2xD6       Save/-1

Rapid Fire – as 40K, may shoot 2x up to 12”

Offline spevna

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 10:04:05 PM »
Cheers for that Agis  :)

Offline sgibson260

• Lurker
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 06:10:26 AM »
Some more thoughts, for obvious IP reasons I can't created 40K related books or files, but I can give some guidelines converting 40K weapons to FuCo:

Str   Damage Die
3   D6-1
4   D6
5   D6+1
6   D6+2
7   D6+3 OR D10
8   D10+2
9   D10+3
10   D10+4

AP   Save/-
6   0
5   1
4   2
3   3
2   4

That would result in the following stats for a Bolter and Stormbolter:
Bolt Gun           3   24”   D6       Rapid Fire, Save/-1
Storm Bolter   3   24"   2xD6       Save/-1

Rapid Fire – as 40K, may shoot 2x up to 12”

Hi Agis,
We just bought and started playing the Fu Co rules, and have really enjoyed them so far.

Regarding the bolt gun and storm bolter stats you just mentioned, what would the cost for those two guns be?

Also, I had a question about motorcycles.  I have some miniatures of some very gothic-ey armored fellows riding big motorcycles.  Some of them have twin bolt guns mounted on the front of their bikes, and I am using the light chain gun to model these weapons.  However, some of the bike riders have light microwave guns or plasma guns as well as the bike-mounted armaments.  Can you add that extra rider-carried weapon to the model's profile by simply adding an extra weapon and the weapon's point cost? Is that allowed in the rules?

Also, some of the figures I have are riding bikes with sidecars, with an extra figure and an extra heavy weapon in the sidecar.  I am using the the high tech multirole combat suit special forces squad template for these figures, giving them the motorcycle ability and replacing the figures' laser rifles with medium microwave guns.  I would like to increase the bike's hit points by one, and add a light chain gun, but I don't know how to determine the additional cost for those changes.

Any suggestions you have would be great.

Regards,
Steve Gibson
Fairfax, Virginia, USA
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:23:45 AM by sgibson260 »

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 10:13:20 AM »
Hi Agis,
We just bought and started playing the Fu Co rules, and have really enjoyed them so far.
Good to hear and great!  8)

Regarding the bolt gun and storm bolter stats you just mentioned, what would the cost for those two guns be?
Bolter – 6 points
Stormbolter 12 points

Also, I had a question about motorcycles.  I have some miniatures of some very gothic-ey armored fellows riding big motorcycles.  Some of them have twin bolt guns mounted on the front of their bikes, and I am using the light chain gun to model these weapons.  However, some of the bike riders have light microwave guns or plasma guns as well as the bike-mounted armaments.  Can you add that extra rider-carried weapon to the model's profile by simply adding an extra weapon and the weapon's point cost? Is that allowed in the rules?
Yes, just pick the weapons for the unit you like from the corresponding list within the limitations of the chosen unit.

Also, some of the figures I have are riding bikes with sidecars, with an extra figure and an extra heavy weapon in the sidecar.  I am using the the high tech multirole combat suit special forces squad template for these figures, giving them the motorcycle ability and replacing the figures' laser rifles with medium microwave guns.  I would like to increase the bike's hit points by one, and add a light chain gun, but I don't know how to determine the additional cost for those changes.
Well personally I would stick with the basic motorcycle ability which also covers heavier sidecars.
If you want an additional HP, just double the basic cost and add the weapon cost.

Have fun!