Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:54:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Are CLA and In The Heart Of Africa difficult to understand?  (Read 7350 times)

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
I've read more than one comment about the apparent difficulty to understand Contemptible Little Armies and In The Heart Of Africa, the layout not being very clear or the style being to conversational, etc. So let's see if people do indeed find them difficult.

Edit:Changed the title and the above text, less personal.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 10:45:08 PM by twrchtrwyth »
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: Are Chris Peers' rules difficult to understand?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 08:23:46 PM »
I removed that poll, please feel free to discuss about Chris Peers rules but not in this way. I don't like the idea of making the person of Chis Peers who's a really nice guy and his very passionate work to the matter of a "fun" poll.

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 08:29:02 PM »
I guess there are a lot of rules sets not by Chris Peers that are even more complicated to comprehend, but that are definitely milestones in wargaming. Must I mention Phil Barker?

I think Chris Peers Rules are very good in a friendly group of players willing to find compromises that help the gameflow, even better with an umpire. For inexperienced players they are hard to play.
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 09:13:45 PM »
I removed that poll, please feel free to discuss about Chris Peers rules but not in this way. I don't like the idea of making the person of Chis Peers who's a really nice guy and his very passionate work to the matter of a "fun" poll.
Sorry Prof, I used the word fun in the hope it wouldn't be seen as a negative thing. My bad.

Personally I like his rules very much. I don't find them that complicated, they would however benefit from a quick reference sheet. His army list book for In the Heart of Africa is one of the best pieces of research I've seen.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 09:18:49 PM »
His army list book for In the Heart of Africa is one of the best pieces of research I've seen.

seconded, another great source of information and inspiration!

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 09:31:15 PM »
His army list book for In the Heart of Africa is one of the best pieces of research I've seen.

Yes his army books are very very good ( I have them all )  but I realy ****the game !!!!

Why ,you ask ?

for me I replay FOR ME it is difficulty to understand the rules and it was a hard to read and understand them .
You may think that my english is not good enugh to read rules but I must say I play and read a lot of english rules and I never have such a problem with them .
Anyway that all is my problem .

What I realy diden´t like is the price and all they get them will understand why I think so .

Please note I dident what to hit Chis Peers in person I only what to say what I think about the rules .

Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 10:08:35 PM »
I can follow Grimm. I tried FutureWars and I missed a logical structure in the book. Maybe Chris peers needs only a good lecturer and these rules will be perfect. And, we only talk about the rules, not the person...
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Are CLA and In The Heart Of Africa difficult to understand?
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 11:23:54 PM »
I dont find the rules too bad, not my thing though the mechanisms dont really appeal. I think the best thing to do is create QR sheets if you can this worked better for me rather than work my way through the book as I was playing games.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 11:26:12 PM »
I guess there are a lot of rules sets not by Chris Peers that are even more complicated to comprehend, but that are definitely milestones in wargaming. Must I mention Phil Barker?

I disagree slightly, WRG rules are not so much hard to understand as hard to use. Their evolution into The rules for competition gaming (as was), led to numerous rules to cover every eventuality and close every loophole, leading to numerous editions. I recall spending a lot of game time looking for those elusive sentences that negated actions that my opponent undertook.

I only vaguely remember the 'Heart of Africa' rules when they were in WI, but don't recall thinking they were particularly complex, obviously things may have changed or my memory isn't what it was. I would imagine writing style may have been a factor though. Like any language, 'conversational' English differs greatly from the grammatically correct form. I presume Mr Peers, like the majority of writers, didn't consider the impact this would have on non-native English readers perhaps?

Having just re-read my post, neither did I  :? 

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 11:31:45 PM »
I liked the general approach of CLA and derivatives as well as that certain "tongue-in-cheek" style. However, I agree 100% that the layout and sequence of rules sections leave very much to be desired.

The table of contents helps a bit, but no index, and no real logical structure to the rules make it terribly difficult to peruse. You may note, though, that I took a similar approach to style of writing, yet attempted to provide a clear structure in our "T&T" rules. In effect, it was a Peers CLA article ("A Damn Foolish Thing in the Balkans") which got me started on the WW1 road, and his Shirdan campaign still ranks among my absolute favourite articles ever in WI.

Three cheers for Peers, and here´s hope that he some time gets a good corrector/editor. We do not require fancily-illustrated rules (although it´s certainly a boon!), but good structure goes a long way!

Offline aecurtis

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 01:26:20 AM »
I must be particularly dim, as I rarely find that I have difficulty following *any* rules, including those from the WRG stable.

I like all of Mr. Peers' rules that I've tried.  My favorite is "A Good Day to Die".  I admit that I was introduced to it by Tim Greene, the co-author of the supplements for that game, who demoed it at a local show.  But the sequence made sense once explained, and we players ran it ourselves after the first turn.

Allen
What fresh hell is this?

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 01:28:14 AM »
Good day to die is a set of rules which I like very much and represent small actions very well for indian warparties etc and the supplement for campaigns works quite well too.

For CLA it is worth either buying or having a butchers at the army list supplements which give you the forces to use
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 01:35:23 AM by Lowtardog »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 11:00:25 AM »
I have used "In the Heart of Africa" quite a bit. I found it to be very easy to understand and use. And I love the army list book.

I can't imagine anyone having trouble with it. But that's just me.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 11:31:17 AM »
I admit that I was introduced to it by Tim Greene, the co-author of the supplements for that game, who demoed it at a local show.  But the sequence made sense once explained, and we players ran it ourselves after the first turn.

That's exactly the problem. The rules do make sense, but you need someone to show you the way or you get easily frustrated for teh reasons mentioned above.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 08:35:54 AM »
Well, I acquired a set of HOA & army lists thru an Ebay figure purchase, showed them to a group of guys at the club and I don't think we've had any problems other than our brain cells being reduced thru various causes in understanding the rules or lists. Have had a couple of people sit in games & they have run with them fairly well. Mind you, one of the guys is familiar with CLA and was able to guide us along the paths/tracks.
I admit that I was introduced to it by Tim Greene, the co-author of the supplements for that game, who demoed it at a local show.  But the sequence made sense once explained, and we players ran it ourselves after the first turn.

That's exactly the problem. The rules do make sense, but you need someone to show you the way or you get easily frustrated for teh reasons mentioned above.
Cheers,
Poiter50