Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:15:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pyrrhic War in 15mm or 10mm - Figure suggestions please  (Read 3170 times)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
Pyrrhic War in 15mm or 10mm - Figure suggestions please
« on: November 05, 2013, 11:35:22 AM »
Somehow managed to jump from planning on doing the SCW next year to thinking about the Pyrrhic War; having been wandering about looking at various 10mm and 15mm ranges I'm wondering whether anyone can point me in a good direction for suitable figures?

For 10mm
Magister Militum I like the look of some of their figures, but would the 'Eastern Pikemen', being the only pikemen I can spot, in their Successors range, work for the Pyrrhic phalanx? Does anyone make suitable 10mm elephants?

Pendraken's Romans look nice too, but their other ancients ranges perhaps not right for Pyrrhic War?

In 15mm I'm thinking either Donnington or Old Glory 15mm seem to have the most extensive ranges, but again I'm not sure of the suitability?

Any suggestions/info/other ranges I should be looking at much appreciated!

Cheers
Rob

Offline julesav

• Scientist
Re: Pyrrhic War in 15mm or 10mm - Figure suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 12:53:24 PM »
Essex are a fairly solid option for anything 15mm imho.

Donnington are another possibility.

I have some Lancashire Games Phalangites and they have the advantage (along with Donnington) of not having moulded pikes so you can add your own brass wire (for sharp!) or nylon brush filament (for flexible) pikes.

I think that the Freikorps 15mms are available through QRF?

Finally in 15/18mm Xyston are fantastic figures but not a good match with other ranges.

Ordinary Macedonian Phalangites are in the 'Classical Greeks, Persians and Macedonians' section of the MM website. I am still boggling at the 'multi-pose phalangites idea in 10mm - now that's mad!

Old Glory UK also have 10mm Macedonians. Personally if I went for 10mm I'd go Pendraken (if the range is large enough?) as they have truly great customer service!
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline Banderium

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 03:16:48 PM »
In 15mm another good option is the Hellenistic miniatures range sold by Black hat.
Link

Offline Shaun1969

• Bookworm
  • Gamer, painter, larper
    • Enfield Gamers
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 10:32:18 PM »
Hi,

newline are bringing out a new range in 10mm... Just painted some Romans and celts.... Not sure on ranges but the figures are really good and worth a look at.

Shaun

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 01:41:29 PM »
Why not wait for the upcoming War and Empire Kickstarter by Forged in battle?

They have 17 different armies listed for 15mm, and will likely expand it, depending on success etc. Maybe even do new units to mix and match for more varied militaries.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 06:48:55 PM »
Oh I say! That I did not know about at all.
Just been onto the fb page.

Thanks all, hadn't thought of some of those ranges so I shall keep on looking. I do like the Xyston figures but there is the issue of compatibility yes. That kickstarter though... could be, could be...

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
  • Stop the world.I want to get off!
    • My Miniature collections on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 07:00:56 AM »
10 or 15mm? You have to decide what you want from the game. Big games with big units and tables with whole villages and woods on them then 10mm.
15mm are a good compromise between 28 and 10mm. Figures look better with more detail and fairly large battles are still possible without filling your basement up with boxes of terrain.

TB Line do wonderful 10mm punic wars (with elephants) - http://www.tridentebologna.it/miniature_E.php?category=3&epoch=1
Van Dyck make early roman empire 10mm. These are i think the best 10mm you can buy - http://vandyckmodelsandfigurines.be/index.php/furniture/living-room/roman-army-imperial-era.html
The 15mm Xyston are very good but are slowly getting bigger.
laf medals by Robert  (steam flunky), auf Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/torq42/sets/

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 01:18:46 PM »
Yes, I must admit the idea of a full battlefield, as in with space to manoeuvre and so on, rather than just lining up from one end of the table to the other, is one of the attractions of 10mm. 6mm too, but having done several unfinished 6mm projects I think I'll scale up a bit. Ideally to 10mm, but there are wider ranges in 15...

I'd forgotten TB Line. Those are lovely. Know how they match up to other 10mm ranges?

I did have my mind set on Pyrrhus though, and then I saw the upcoming Forged in Battle kickstarter and started thinking of the Macedonian Wars too (you see where it's going, any opportunity to crush Rome :D ). Those 10mm Carthaginians are nice though. Hmm.

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 10:37:29 AM »
Do you have a rules set in mind for this TBC? That might help point you towards which figure size is the best option?

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 11:14:54 AM »
Not really, I hadn't got that far quite yet! Although, I tend to view 10mm and 15mm as relatively interchangeable in terms of tweaking rules and so forth, but as for specific rules I've still to have a look around.