Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:37:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690883
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Knight Models produce Watchmen minis  (Read 5003 times)

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
Knight Models produce Watchmen minis
« on: October 24, 2013, 05:29:46 PM »
Just saw this today: http://ttfix.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/knight-models-new-watchmen-releases.html

They're really nice and all, but I wish Knight would just, y'know, finish a range! The Arkham City stuff was awesome, and even had a game attached, but it took approximately five minutes before they were making movie Batman, movie Bane (not AC Bane...), random Superman, Lord of the Rings, and now Watchmen... grumble grumble.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
Re: Knight Models produce Watchmen minis
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 11:24:33 PM »
Meh.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 12:34:26 AM »
Meh.

I will see your meh, and raise you a meh-meh.  lol

Great figures, scale is a bit big at 35mm, and the price is, well, pricey. But nice sculpts, regardless.

It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline supervike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 12:46:11 AM »
I really like them! 

However, it takes forever for them to get distribution to America (or at least to CMoN)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 01:32:05 AM »
Licensed, of course, right?

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 10:40:19 AM »
I confess I'm a bit confused as to what licences Knight actually holds. I think their old Marvel and Star Wars minis were unlicensed, for example, and are largely off sale now, although you can still get the busts and large-scale models. Likewise their LOTR minis are the same scale as the GW ones, and I'm sure I read that GW had an exclusive license for movie-based minis of that size for wargaming purposes.

On their 'about us' page they talk about the 'licenses' that they work within, but I can't find any legal text pertaining to the companies involved.

They apparently have a DC licence for Arkham city - but the movies? Watchmen? Who knows. If they have paid for a licence, they aren't using it very well. Focus, guys, focus!  lol

« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 10:43:40 AM by psyberwyche »

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 02:19:02 PM »
<snip>If they have paid for a licence<snip>

My concern would be that they produce a line and then get a Cease and Desist note...  The time put into such a effort would be time not spent on other projects...

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 02:59:01 PM »
Just saw this today: http://ttfix.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/knight-models-new-watchmen-releases.html

They're really nice and all, but I wish Knight would just, y'know, finish a range! The Arkham City stuff was awesome, and even had a game attached, but it took approximately five minutes before they were making movie Batman, movie Bane (not AC Bane...), random Superman, Lord of the Rings, and now Watchmen... grumble grumble.

AA/AC Bane was one of the first releases IIRC.
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 04:06:16 PM »
You're right, I actually missed that! Doh!

The reason I think they're missing a trick is lack of support and, perhaps, advertising. I'd love to see some of the models on terrain boards, or some in-game shots or AAR videos; wargames magazine articles, painting tutorials, scenery releases - all these things would help get people into the game and buy their figures. At the moment, I just can't find anyone who plays the game or has more than one or two minis.

Anyhow, I'll repeat that their models are bloody lovely, and they've made some very nice Batman models, which is more than I had before. So I'll stop grumbling ;-)

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 05:11:29 PM »
You're right, I actually missed that! Doh!

The reason I think they're missing a trick is lack of support and, perhaps, advertising. I'd love to see some of the models on terrain boards, or some in-game shots or AAR videos; wargames magazine articles, painting tutorials, scenery releases - all these things would help get people into the game and buy their figures. At the moment, I just can't find anyone who plays the game or has more than one or two minis.

Anyhow, I'll repeat that their models are bloody lovely, and they've made some very nice Batman models, which is more than I had before. So I'll stop grumbling ;-)

I think you are right, but that there may be more to it:

1. A sense of validity that a printed rule-book creates.

2. The rules do need a decent English translation; a lot of hard work has clearly gone into them, with some addition support from fans (like LAF's Van-Helsing if I understand correctly), but as a game, the rules will be a key driver.

3. It does seem quite ad hoc the pattern of releases. The range is young, so that is part of it, but these Watchmen releases coming now seems unconnected to anything obvious (for example the Before Watchmen series ended a few months ago; the collected editions appeared at least 2-3 months or more ago I think). Releasing Superman made sense on the back of Man of Steel (even if I did not care for their studio pj for Superman; normally I love their painting, but hated that colour scheme interpretation); similarly with the success of Arrow, Greenm Arrow and Deathstroke made sense, even if not following the TV series. I hope it is not a sign that the license period could be coming to an end - that is not based on any info, just seemed odd to move to get some high profile releases out there - of course it could simply be more likley that they feel they have done most of the key stuff from AA/AC until they deal with new AO stuff.

Nonetheless some great looking minis with the occasional caveat from me.

Would still love an Adam West Batman...

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 12:55:36 AM »

Offline leegwonfu

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 03:12:40 AM »

Would still love an Adam West Batman...

Well, aren't Heroclix coming out (or have already come out with?) a set based on the television show? I'm pretty sure that they are, but I don't have the specifics off-hand (and it's late, and I'm tired...).

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
I will see your meh, and raise you a meh-meh.  lol

Great figures, scale is a bit big at 35mm, and the price is, well, pricey. But nice sculpts, regardless.

They are right for use with Heroclix though. KM has nicer detail on the figures, but clix are way cheaper.
Looking for a set of rules that adaptable for different genres.