Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:38:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dark Future Car Conversion Query  (Read 7273 times)

Offline Cholly

• Scientist
  • Put the gun down.............Please?
Dark Future Car Conversion Query
« on: November 06, 2013, 07:24:40 PM »
Bit of a nostalgia trip going on here but does anyone have any hints on removing the chassis' from Matchbox/hotwheel/corgi cars?
Got some great 70's muscle cars ripe for converting but having major headaches getting their bottoms off.
Cholly

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Dark Future Car Conversion Query
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 07:32:19 PM »
Depends on how they are attached but a drill to the pin in the front on the underside. Just take a sec tap it out and the car will come apart. Should be all you need.

Grimm

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 07:33:31 PM »
If it's a rivet, just drill them both out and pop apart.  Pretty simple once you see it done.  M2 and some Jada cars have screws....
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Cholly

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 08:58:07 PM »
Grrr, my drill isn't charged!! Thanx for the tips guys but gonna have to wait till tomorrow. Hoping to have some stuff to show soon(ish).
Matt

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 09:14:09 PM »
Did you check out my latest thread in Future Wars?  Evil Cartoonist is just a genius with this stuff, great inspiration....

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 09:50:08 AM »
Did you check out my latest thread in Future Wars?  Evil Cartoonist is just a genius with this stuff, great inspiration....

I'll second that!
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Cholly

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 11:57:11 AM »
Too Boo Coo,
Lovely stuff on your thread, some great inspiration for me. Once I can get the damn chassis off!!

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 12:02:13 PM »
Cheers Mate!  You witnessed literally tons of stolen ideas :)  As I wrote, Evil Cartoonist is a mad genius with PA cars...

Do you know this site as well?  There's some duplication as me, EC and some otehrs are on it, but there are also quite a few projects I havent seen anywhere else.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Post_Apoc_Wargames/index/

MattBlack runs the site and for PA stuff it's fantastic, although not nearly as much traffic as LAF.  

If you need any tips or suggestions feel free to ask!  I also look forward to stealing with reckless abandon any good ideas you come up with  :D

Offline Evilcartoonist

• Scientist
    • Carmen's Fun Painty Time
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 08:29:04 PM »
Cholly- just what others said, you'll have to drill out the rivets (essentially, cutting away the head of the rivet). A Dremel tool helps greatly.
Keep in mind you'll need a way to reattach the chassis to the body.
You can also hand drill the rivet out, but that takes a while (and a good toll on your hand- at least it did mine.)

Somewhere on youtube are a couple videos showing how to do it. I wish I could find them here, now, for ya, but I have to head to work!

Edit: Did one more search- here's a video to start you with:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 08:30:39 PM by Evilcartoonist »

Offline Cholly

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 09:56:48 AM »
Thanks for the video and all the tips guys, unfortunatley I do not own the requisite tools for this. My DIY drill (great big clunky thing) would have been strong enough except that neither of the battery packs seem to hold a charge anymore. Managed to hacksaw the central chassis section of a '71 Plymouth Road Runner and basically mangled the interior to remove it and the glass, added wire mesh to the windows for that PA look (plus to hide the fact there is now nothing inside) and using the old Dark Future rules as a vehicle design base added twin grenade launchers to the front wings, an autocannon to the roof and smoke layer and fat exhausts to the rear end. Then discovered I was all out of undercoat spray so painting will have to wait awhile but I'll post some wip shots over the weekend if I get the cahance and ask the PA car customisation luminaries here (thats you too boo coo + evilcartoonist) for more hints and tips. Also managed to make a combatlaser for my trike, which looks like its going to be fiddly but fun to paint.
Cholly

Offline Evilcartoonist

• Scientist
    • Carmen's Fun Painty Time
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 07:11:15 AM »
Nothing wrong with a bit of mangling during the process; it just makes the vehicle look that much more authentic.