Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:47:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690843
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dunedain, Elves, Orcs and.. Mr Wolf and Mason Go There and Back Again. 23/03  (Read 29544 times)

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
Re: Dark Ages Middle Earth
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2013, 01:56:02 PM »
Nice. Black Tree Design sold these Harlequin saxons untill not so long ago. I don't know why they got out of production.

I've been pondering too for ages of what to use for realistic dark ages LOTR. Many ideas I've already spammed many times here on LAF, but only yesterday it occurred to me that Gripping Beast plastic saxons could be relatively easy converted into mordor orcs, possibly. :)
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 02:10:47 PM »
I am once more astonished by the number of Projects that you can successfully maintain. If you could keep that many balls in the air, you'd be a star performer at most any circus.

Sorry I can't give much advice on Lord of the Rings stuff. Other than the Hildebrandt Brothers illustrations, I never developed much interest in Tolkien's World.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 07:51:55 PM »
These are NOT mine but I thought they were great so I figured they might interest you. Here are some Rohan that I found after a bit of a google.

http://imostlypaintatnightmostly.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/rohan-had-come-at-last.html

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 08:10:50 PM »
Musketeers figures and what a great choice  8)

Nice find  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 08:22:03 PM »
This looks like a promising start, mate!  :-D

And while you're a butterfly like 90% of this board, at least you'll produce 40 pages worth of lovely buildings and minis :)

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2013, 09:29:12 PM »
+1 re. the Thunderbolt Mtn Orcs

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2013, 11:14:39 PM »
I have huge Middle Earth armies and like you have always felt that historical Dark Age ranges are closer to Tolkien's ideas than most fantasy ranges. I was very impressed with the Vendel ranges, especially the dwarves. I bought a load when they first came out, many years ago now.

Rather than going for the standard War of the Ring era Gondor/Rohan armies, I based my armies around the fall or Arnor in the mid-Third Age. I've used most Dark Age types from Romano-British, Saxons of most periods to Vikings.

I did enjoy Peter Jackson's films, for the most part, but didn't really like the imagery for "my" view of the warriors and creatures of Middle Earth, although some of the Rohirrim were not bad.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2013, 11:42:31 PM »
Right then Mr Butterfly, I'm watching  :D

I am so glad to have your attention, Mr Pot-Kettle-Black.
 :D

Very cool Mason!
I am really looking forward to seeing more as I am a big fan of your work!
 :-* :D

Cheers, aggro.
The feeling is mutual.
 :)

Nice. Black Tree Design sold these Harlequin saxons untill not so long ago. I don't know why they got out of production.

I've been pondering too for ages of what to use for realistic dark ages LOTR. Many ideas I've already spammed many times here on LAF, but only yesterday it occurred to me that Gripping Beast plastic saxons could be relatively easy converted into mordor orcs, possibly. :)

Thanks for the tip on the plastic Saxons, but they are earmarked for something else.
I have my Orks already and will be using mostly Asgard.
There are a few other bits and pieces going in there, though.
 ;)

I am once more astonished by the number of Projects that you can successfully maintain. If you could keep that many balls in the air, you'd be a star performer at most any circus.

Sorry I can't give much advice on Lord of the Rings stuff. Other than the Hildebrandt Brothers illustrations, I never developed much interest in Tolkien's World.

Thanks, Al.
Hopefully I can come up with something that WILL interest you.

These are NOT mine but I thought they were great so I figured they might interest you. Here are some Rohan that I found after a bit of a google.

http://imostlypaintatnightmostly.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/rohan-had-come-at-last.html

Those are wonderful, Mr.J!
 :-*

I appreciate the tip off and the link.
I shall be investigating that as soon as I get a chance.
Cheers!
 :D

Musketeers figures and what a great choice  8)

Yep!
Perfect for Rohan.
 ;)

This looks like a promising start, mate!  :-D

And while you're a butterfly like 90% of this board, at least you'll produce 40 pages worth of lovely buildings and minis :)

Cheers, mate.
But 40 pages....really?
 ::)

I have a load of the Tanatus miniatures and I have to say they're probably some of the best 28mm miniatures I've ever seen. I concur more-or-less completely with your vision of Middle Earth and I too wish more companies produced 'serious' looking fantasy miniatures rather than the cartoony GW-inspired stuff that predominates. I guess I know what your going to use for your Orcs ;), but the ones from Thunderbolt Mountain are very nice as well.

+1 re. the Thunderbolt Mtn Orcs

I will check them out but I do already have the Asgard figures, which I think are perfect for my uses.
I could always use something else for other evil factions in the future.

Since my own project is kind of hibernating at the moment I'm really excited that you started a new Middle-Earth thread. Can you tell us something about the background? Do you plan to play along the War of the Rings storyline or some other time?

Anyway, no matter where you're going I'll be watching and enjoying it. Best of luck and keep at it...

I have huge Middle Earth armies and like you have always felt that historical Dark Age ranges are closer to Tolkien's ideas than most fantasy ranges. I was very impressed with the Vendel ranges, especially the dwarves. I bought a load when they first came out, many years ago now.

Rather than going for the standard War of the Ring era Gondor/Rohan armies, I based my armies around the fall or Arnor in the mid-Third Age. I've used most Dark Age types from Romano-British, Saxons of most periods to Vikings.

I did enjoy Peter Jackson's films, for the most part, but didn't really like the imagery for "my" view of the warriors and creatures of Middle Earth, although some of the Rohirrim were not bad.

I am not sure exactly 'when' to set it yet.
The War of the Ring is an obvious choice, but there are plenty of options out there.

Looks an interesting start to another great project, which I'll follow with delight. I'm happily surprised I found this one near enough at the start rather than 20 pages in. Those Tanatus figures scream out to be part of a Middle Earth force. Look forward to seeing your dwarves and orcs.

As for all the suggestions for Orcs and Rohan etc...keep 'em coming.
It will be a while before I get to them, as the Gondor force is quite sizeable, but I will have plenty of time to add to what I have or even change my mind.

Of course, when it comes to Orcs there is always Angmar, Moria and Isengard to do after Mordor is completed.

This may never end.....

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 12:03:06 AM »
I wonder if the miniatures are too detailed it doesn't lend itself to what Tolkien was visualising.
That's without scale creep and grossly out of proportion limbs.

I was looking at the alternative armies sidhe and thought about mirkwood elves?

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2013, 09:37:12 AM »
Mason,
If you haven't already checked out MerlintheMad's historical take on Middle Earth I suggest you check it out. It was pretty inspirational to me back in the day when the dearth of Fantasy AND historical figures out there forced us Tolkein fans to cast around for ideas...
http://larsen-family.us/~1066/pelennor.html
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2013, 07:10:23 PM »
I wonder if the miniatures are too detailed it doesn't lend itself to what Tolkien was visualising.
That's without scale creep and grossly out of proportion limbs.

I was looking at the alternative armies sidhe and thought about mirkwood elves?

To be honest it is the Elves that are giving me the biggest headache for choices in this.
Blackwolf, who will be joining me in this project, has a hankering for some Red Box miniatures for use as Elves, but I have not found anything that suits my tastes just yet.

Not a problem as I have plenty to keep me going until I find some.....

Mason,
If you haven't already checked out MerlintheMad's historical take on Middle Earth I suggest you check it out. It was pretty inspirational to me back in the day when the dearth of Fantasy AND historical figures out there forced us Tolkein fans to cast around for ideas...
http://larsen-family.us/~1066/pelennor.html

Thanks, mate, I will.
I should say that I was tempted to go down the same route as you did with Gondor as that look certainly works.
The Numenor influence would allow for a later and more advanced look was my reasoning.

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2013, 09:58:28 PM »
I would second the Vendel/Sgt Major not LOTR lines - great models.

Offline Arthadan

• Scientist
    • Forge of Doom Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, 10:47:11 PM »
For Elves, have you considered Thunderbolt Mountain?

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2013, 10:49:54 PM »
I am so glad to have your attention, Mr Pot-Kettle-Black.

Well, you know...  :D

cheers

James

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 12:29:13 AM »
It just hit me. How about the High Elves Copplestone did for Grenadier? They're a bit huffity-puffity, but seem alright in your take of the books* :)

* I've only read the first book. And I was ten, so the story was a bit boring. The films were alright, even though they just kept walking for ages. How about a horse? A cart? Taking the eagles directly to Mount Doom? The Bilbo film was just a lot of singing and people riding sledges. It was utter shite. Sorry :(
And I'm not even touching on the fact that all evil men were of oriental descent...