Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:23:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689811
  • Total Topics: 118297
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Franco Prussian War in 28mm  (Read 5829 times)

Offline khde

• Student
Franco Prussian War in 28mm
« on: November 10, 2013, 05:42:26 PM »
Hi there!

as I am wondering to do something of the 1870/71 stuff as a side project what miniatures could you refer in 28mm besude foundry? And how far are these historical correct?

cheers KH

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
Re: Franco Prussian War in 28mm
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 09:45:30 PM »
I had* a few different ranges of FPW figures and I have to say that the Foundry ones are by far the best. That being said they are smaller than most 28mm figures, quite noticeably so.

*As they didn't match and weren't as nice I offloaded the others, and now am having trouble remembering who made them!
I definitely had a few from http://www.castawayarts.com.au and Eureka I think do a few, and Ironclad miniatures do a few line troops and command figures that will serve well in a realistic setting.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 10:57:57 PM »
Northstar has the 1866 Austro-Prussian War... Austrians and Prussians. I believe these were originally Helion miniatures.

Link:
http://northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=100&page=1

Offline Gary Mitchell

• Librarian
    • Space Vixens From Mars
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 04:56:52 AM »
Currently using Heroes Of the Dark Age French and Irregular Miniatures for all the others

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 09:37:26 AM »
Castaway Arts fit quite well with Foundry - I've used them for Standard Bearers for the Frnch and Prussians and some additional Officers.

Most of my collection is Foundry who do pretty much all you need.

Mike
Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline khde

• Student
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 11:34:36 AM »
Thanks fpr your replys.

Well I have notived Foundrys range but honestly I do not really like them. Unlike the Perrys did it with their own the Foundry figures are usually all too knobbly for me. I guess I have to see them live.

I want to play it once on a division level but also some skirmish scenes. I am used to Black Powder so far and thow i would start with this but are there some rules which might work fine?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 11:36:29 AM by khde »

Offline khde

• Student
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 10:37:27 AM »
Just another question, could it be that the fpw is just interesting for a smal group of wargamers?

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 11:12:55 AM »
Really like the Franco Prussian war and used to collect quite an army for it ( 99% Foundry and some Falcon) However since Foundry never completed the range I gave up on it and sold everything. Actually the only painted army I ever sold. 20+ years ago and I still feel pangs of  regret.
The Foundry fgures are indeed quite small but quality -wise still very much do-able. Of course it will be almost impossible to find a matching manufacturer ( those North Star Prussians are really good, but dwarf the Foundry ones) so you might end up like me.

It's one of those chicken - egg things. Manufacturers need to sell 'early parts' of their range to invest in further additions and gamers like me won't buy in to a range until at least the basics are all done. Once bitten, twice shy they say and I have been proverbially ripped to shreds.

Then again some manufacturers have deservedly built up a great reputation where it comes to completing their ranges. I'm especially thinking of Redoubt, Gripping Beast and Warfare Miniatures. None, alas, do the Franco Prussian War.

Still have a lot of interest in the FPW  but I settled for a good PC game about it....
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:38:39 PM by WillieB »
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 09:13:19 PM »
I use a m ix of Foundry and Northstar,they fit well together ,though  maybe   not in same unit.Between the two many different configurations.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 11:03:08 PM »
I'd say go with Foundry as long as you can afford them.  The range even offers dismounted Dragoons and Hussars.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 10:23:04 AM »
I'd love to see some FPW figs to match the dynamic poses of the North Star ranges. Sadly the Foundry figures don't quite cut it for me, the poses are a little, dunno - wooden?

I've seen the range from Heroes of the Dark Ages - they look better in the flesh than online and Martin Baker has done a good job of the baggyness of the coats, but they aren't for me either ( jeez - I'm fussy in my old age eh?)

Cooleyminiatures have been working in some, for quite a while, and if they see the light of day i hope they will be the prefect match.

Finger cross that good things come to those who wait.....and wait.... :D

Offline khde

• Student
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
Well sounds that I'll have to start something by own. What do you think would be the most interesting miniatures to start with? I would guess French Infantryde Ligne, marching and Skirmishing, maybe some Würtemberger? Any suggestions?

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 07:58:55 PM »
French line is the obvious choice - if you're not happy with the existing figs. If you are, then something that's not covered - republicans, franc triers or some non picklehaube wearing German state, such as the Wurtembergers or Bavarians

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 02:40:46 PM »
Personally, I like the Foundry FPW line and I have a bunch of their figures.

The problem is that it has limited poses.

If I was going to do a FPW minis line, I would make minis which one could put along side the Foundry ones and not notice a difference.

Offline khde

• Student
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 11:51:37 AM »
I am wondering to take the xmas holiday to start sculptering some french Infantry de Ligne. So I am thinking about possible poses. What would you think would be on which poses I should focus, marching, skirmishing, shooting or what ever.

Beside of that I am planing also a french officer, one NCO and a Drummer. Would there be something else necessary?

BR from Potsdam