Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:39:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Affun's lead-pile - 24/6-22 - Northerners of many ilk!  (Read 85206 times)

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
Affun's lead-pile - 24/6-22 - Northerners of many ilk!
« on: November 11, 2013, 11:06:09 AM »
Introduction:
I am a 23 24 year old (gees, let's just not) Danish git who likes to paint pretty miniatures for fantasy warbands and other similar skirmish stuff. While I do have a Warhammer Fantasy army in the works, the warbands are where the soul is at.

I thought I would make this thread as a sort of Painting log, to keep me painting, and to share the results with you people.

/Introduction

Currently I am painting up a couple of warbands primarily meant for gaming A Song of Blades and Heroes. I really like the system, but in order to get people to play it with me, I pretty much have to provide everything, since most of my friends either don't collect miniatures (boo), or play other systems.

(The evil masterplan, of course, is to convince everyone around me to start up on this hobby. One of my victims is allready talking about "just buying a couple of figures", if I teach him how to paint 'em. cackles)

Anyways - Pictures! What is a paintinglog without pictures? Pretty boring, I'd say. So here is my current prospects:

Ulf Skalleflękker and his merry men:

They are being painted as part of a "Path to Glory" Chaos Warband challenge, so the schemes are a bit 'khorne-chaos warriors'. Also, I really like bright colours, especially red.

Some closeups:

A couple of berserkers/marauders
... and the main man himself;

Enough jibber-jabber from me. Hope you enjoy the pictures.
~Affun
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 12:22:49 PM by affun »

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: Fantasy Warbands; Affuns Fantasy-Painting Adventure
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 12:03:32 PM »
Some great painting there and welcome to the boards. I think there's a few of us around in Dk, who'll happily play SoBH.
Duncan

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 01:23:54 PM »
COOL LOOKING Little Dudes...I like the Barbarians' flashy trousers. Your brushwork & basing are EXCELLENT. GREAT WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 01:28:56 PM »
Looks great!  You are off to a great start.

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 01:59:02 PM »
First of, thanks for the kind words to you all. :) Praise is the oft unspoken motor of productivity, as is sharing with the likeminded - Makes me really want to crank out some more of these guys for ya'll to see (And for me to play with).

Some great painting there and welcome to the boards. I think there's a few of us around in Dk, who'll happily play SoBH.
Duncan

I was planning to go to Horisont V this year (Well, actually, this saturday) but it seems like money and family have conspired to keep me away.
I do plan to see if theres some interested people close to where I live when I have done up a few warbands to play around with, though.

As for painting; times are busy as I am working on a large paper, due in december, so for today Ill just post a pic of another one of my partially finished, in progress, warbands; The Dwarves:

The scheme is much simpler, and less varied, than that of my chaos warband, but I think it'll turn out pretty good on the tabletop once done.
All of them are Mirliton/grenadier dwarves - Some lovely sculpts, all of them.
For some reason I always paint my dwarves in variations of blue. I have an entire LoTR SBG dwarf army in dark blues as well. It might be the regal iconological implications that (in my mind) makes the colour be so fitting.

(Of course a bit of red managed to sneak in as well, though it is not evident on this picture. Its on the Captains cape)

Cheers! Next time, I'll post some properly painted miniatures.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 07:05:24 AM »
Did you ever get these finished?

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 12:59:05 PM »
I'm sorry I missed this. The Vertically Challenged Ones, especially the cool old Grenadier Dude with the red cape (red is my color also), are coming along SPLENDIDLY!
Now that your paper is hopefully handed in, I can look forward to seeing a update or two. Keep up the GREAT WORK!

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 10:36:39 PM »
Good stuff! Some nice detail on the figures like the stripes on the pants. The details on the slim bases like broken stones are great too.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 12:57:23 AM »
Very nice! Lovely painting and good job on turning the world towards our hobby  :D

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 07:38:26 PM »
Did you ever get these finished?

I did, in fact! Ill get a picture or two soon.

I haven't been painting for a good month or two, and when I have, its been boring GW and Malifaux stuff.

But now I am back on track with more fantasy warbands! Here's a Man-At-Arms I am working on:

He'll hopefully be done by tomorrow. (If I didnt just jinx it)

I am painting him for some Songs of Blades and Heroes, and hopefully Skuldred when the new beta rolls around.

We had a great gamenight recently, and I think my buddies are getting hooked on the lead. Ive been hearing mutterings akin to "A couple of minis wouldnt hurt". Thats how it starts *cackles*

Now that your paper is hopefully handed in, I can look forward to seeing a update or two. Keep up the GREAT WORK!

I certainly hope so as well! Lead doesn't paint itself, as we all are propably only too keenly aware of.

~Affun 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 07:42:46 PM by affun »

Offline Cushionsnbeans

• Bookworm
    • Northumbrian Tin Soldier
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 07:53:05 PM »
Very nice work.
Looking forward to seeing more pics!  :)

Offline kaiser

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 08:59:06 PM »
Lękre figurer! Nice painting, where are those dwarves from? I've never seen them before.

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 08:40:17 AM »
I woke up early today, to beautiful weather outside, and thought I would go for a jog. By the time I had put on the running clothes, it was all overcast and windy, so I instead finnished painting the Man-at-arms:

I am not entirely sure the colourscheme on this guy works out that well, but its decent enough for me to not redo.

If any one knows some decent alternatives to these Bretonian Men-at-arms, that would fit well, please do let me know. Ive been looking at the perry's own stuff, but I am not entirely sure they would fit too well with this guy.

Lękre figurer! Nice painting, where are those dwarves from? I've never seen them before.

The dwarfs are, if I remember correctly, old Grenadier dwarves. Mirliton and Em-4 have the production rights to them now. The mirliton Fantasy Warriors range is full of really great models.

~Affun
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:42:03 AM by affun »

Offline kaiser

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 09:44:14 AM »
I rather like that colour scheme. The skin tone is quite nice.

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 02:58:27 PM »
I am going to be a rascal and post another update today.
This guy just got finished:

Yet another mirliton miniature. I really like the facesculpt on this miniature, but I am not sure I have done it justice entirely. I might go back and add eyes another time. For now though, he is varnished and based and ready for gaming.