Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:40:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Affun's lead-pile - 24/6-22 - Northerners of many ilk!  (Read 85267 times)

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
Re: Affun's lead-pile - 24/2-17: Assassin!
« Reply #345 on: February 24, 2017, 11:27:47 AM »
Another mini done - this time an assassin:

The miniature is a female assassin from Ral Partha Europe. Their RPG-miniatures and DSA: The Dark Eye lines are well worth checking out. There's a lot of very characterful miniatures in there.

This lady is another addition to the mercenary gang. What could they be up to?

In game terms, it's a nice mini that allows me to play around with some poison and stealth traits I don't usually get to use in ASOBH.

These traits make her a very mobile, hard to pin down, assassin. Agile allows her to run circles around obstacles and enemies, while dashing means that she only need a single action to both move in on and attack someone. Coupled with the free disengage, this should make a very dangerous assassin, able to exploit any crack in the enemy line to go for her target.
Of course, as a C2 character, she crumbles quickly against any well equipped soldier.

I also made her a Coward to represent her sellsword nature - I don't imagine any mercenary being willing to stick around too long if things start going wrong. Can't spend your money if you're missing a head after all.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
Re: Affun's lead-pile - 24/2-17 : Assassin!
« Reply #346 on: February 24, 2017, 01:34:54 PM »
I'm not commenting after each new pic, but that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying your models anymore. Great, inspiring stuff, really loving it  :).
Leadhead

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #347 on: February 24, 2017, 01:49:40 PM »
Those are some SPLENDID additions...I think the leggy little Assassin is my favorite. OUTSTANDING WORK once more!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #348 on: February 24, 2017, 03:43:39 PM »
What's the recipe you used for her skin? Seems a bit different from the skin tones I manage to paint - and I like variation ;)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #349 on: February 25, 2017, 05:52:13 PM »
I usually think of stepping away from 28mm and invest heavily in 15mm, but then you post new miniatures and everything goes back to normal.

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #350 on: February 26, 2017, 12:37:56 PM »
What's the recipe you used for her skin? Seems a bit different from the skin tones I manage to paint - and I like variation ;)

It's a slight variation on the way I usually paint skin, because I've been trying to experiment with adding variety to the skintones I paint.

It starts from Vallejo Model Colour Cork Brown (I think its called - I've worn the actual label off of the bottle). Then a wash of Citadel Ogryn Flesh wash. This is an old wash, from back when they first launched. I dont quite know what they call it now, or if its even similar at all. Its a slightly reddish/brown wash, a little lighter than eg. Aggrax Earthshade.
Then its back to VMC Cork Brown, and highlighting up to VMC "Base Skintone".
I usually do 2 -3 layers of highlights (Mixing in more and more of the highlight colour), using a wet brush and thinned paint to got smoother transitions.

I usually think of stepping away from 28mm and invest heavily in 15mm, but then you post new miniatures and everything goes back to normal.

I've had that temptation a lot of times myself, but there's just so much nice 28mm stuff.

I'm not commenting after each new pic, but that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying your models anymore. Great, inspiring stuff, really loving it  :).

Those are some SPLENDID additions...I think the leggy little Assassin is my favorite. OUTSTANDING WORK once more!

Thanks for the nice comments y'all. Glad to know I am doing something right :)

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
Re: Affun's lead-pile - 4/6 - 17
« Reply #351 on: June 04, 2017, 01:49:19 PM »
Its been a while since I updated my paintlog. Its not that Ive not been painting (though Ive not been
super productive) but mostly that I havent really gotten around to taking proper pictures.
Lets change that!

Here's a couple of batches of models I dont think Ive shown off before:

The Knight and the Wight are both Reaper Bones I've picked up recently, and been very happy with. The never stuff is now at a quality where I wouldn't hesitate using them, even for character models like these. I still think its a good idea to look at them first hand if possible, since there's still some of the earlier stuff around. Still, the detail on these two was perfectly adequate, and they were a joy to paint up. Just had to do a weapon swap on the wight. (and the keen eye will notice i neglected to straighten out the sword of the knight.  ::) woops )

Apart from that, the good guys are all front rank miniatures - A bit larger in scale than what I usually paint, but they fit in perfectly with the reaper stuff. The billmen are intended as proxies for Relic Blade but will of course gladly serve in other games too.
The zombies are a mix of the mantic ghouls and zombies. The two in the back we're painted as a speed paint challenge in 25 minutes. The left one by me and the right one by a friend.  

Cheers and thanks for reading! More stuff soon.

~Affun
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 01:59:17 PM by affun »

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #352 on: June 04, 2017, 07:27:51 PM »
Well, looks like I'm going to have to go through this whole thread enjoying the eye candy 😁

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #353 on: June 04, 2017, 07:33:28 PM »
Wonderful.

Offline kaiser

• Scientist
« Reply #354 on: June 05, 2017, 09:01:11 AM »
Your new guys really fits well next to the paladin. The guy with the crossbow looks really great, nice metals!
I need to build myself some terrain for photosessions too, it just looks cool in the photos.

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
Re: Affun's lead-pile - 5/6-17 - Otherworld Knight
« Reply #355 on: June 05, 2017, 05:37:24 PM »
Cheers y'all. Appreciate the comments!

I definitely can recommend getting some terrain to photograph on - Its just plain fun to set up. And it also helps with adjusting the colours and getting the miniatures in focus (Or at least it does with my camera).

Here's another miniature, freshly painted:

A knight from Otherworld Miniatures. I've had him for a long time, but not managed to get paint onto him as I had a hard time deciding upon a colour scheme. I wanted to stray away from my usual bright red for the cloak, so I had to do a bit of thinking when picking heraldric colours and matching them with his cloak. In the end, im really happy with how he turned out. I find it can be a bit hard to paint miniatures with lots of metal so they still look interesting, but I think I somewhat managed, even though the armour is a bit rough in places.

He's pictured here along with two footmen/hirelings, in what I'm thinking will be half of a warband for Relicblade - Though all of the miniatures will of course likely get to serve in other games as well.

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #356 on: June 05, 2017, 09:50:41 PM »
Lovely, pretty good start for a Relicblade gang  :)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #357 on: June 05, 2017, 10:07:54 PM »
Terrific work on those! I love the heraldry, the skin tones and the painted sallet.

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
Re: Affun's lead-pile - 21/7-17 - Eureka Chaos Mutants
« Reply #358 on: July 21, 2017, 01:00:24 PM »
Finally managed to get some paint on these Eureka Chaos Army mutants. Really cool miniatures:

These are destined for an Open Combat Chaos warband, meant to fight against the Otherworld knight from earlier. Right now the plan is to have a band of adventurers ambushed by a larger band of chaos marauders - Its a basic premise, but I do love my classic fantasy tropes. And its a good excuse to paint a varied bunch of single character models and stuff from my leadpile.

Picture turned out a bit blurry because it was slightly rushed, sadly.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:03:26 PM by affun »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Affun's lead-pile - 21/7-17 - Eureka Chaos Mutants
« Reply #359 on: July 21, 2017, 01:19:37 PM »
These look terrific - great miniatures and great work on them!