Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:24:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (COMMERCIAL) Games and Gears Kickstarter for Battle Boards  (Read 2716 times)

Offline PaulJB

• Librarian
    • movealongnownothingtoseehere
(COMMERCIAL) Games and Gears Kickstarter for Battle Boards
« on: November 13, 2013, 07:25:44 AM »
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/554355176/games-and-gears-battle-boards/comments

I found the battle board Kickstarter by accident a couple of days ago. Games and Gears are producing a series of plastic two foot squares, a bit like the Realm of Battle boards but with more variety.

I'm getting a set for Malifaux, Empire of the Dead and WW2 skirmish.

Paul

--
Paul Baldwin
Evesham, England

"You wouldn't know a subtle plan, if it danced naked on top of the
harpsichord singing subtle plans are here again!"

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: (COMMERCIAL) Games and Gears Kickstarter for Battle Boards
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 09:24:43 AM »
Looks promising.

Offline Forofo27

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 02:04:42 PM »
Hi , i want to know if the board pieles can hang up on the air while are lying on top off the table? My table is 140cm x 80 cm.

Free shipping to spain?

What difference between early bird 65£ and Xmas core set 95£?

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 03:20:32 PM »
Hi , i want to know if the board pieles can hang up on the air while are lying on top off the table? My table is 140cm x 80 cm.
They show an overhang of 30cm (part tile and extra clip on tray loaded with figures) on the KS, so just the tiles should be OK for you.

Free shipping to spain?
Yes (unless Rajoy finds a way of getting us out of EU before Xmas!)

What difference between early bird 65£ and Xmas core set 95£?
The "Xmas core set" is just closer the eventual retail price of the set and is the "non" early bird price.

For the money, this is a great looking set of tiles, I am considering the 10mm DZC board for Mekton and 6mm Kanji games but am tempted by the Village/Town tiles as well. Will decide when the revised (improved textures) version of the town set is shown....Trying to find a way of using it for Carnevale as well as Fantasy gaming.

Have to say the KS is really well run, they seem to have the comment section and the update comments monitored several times an hour as all questions are being answered very promptly.

Offline Forofo27

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 03:30:03 PM »
Will be any problem if paint over them? They won't warp up?

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 03:59:43 PM »
Will be any problem if paint over them? They won't warp up?

No they will not warp through painting, they are made of moulded hard plastic.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 10:58:10 AM »
Anyone else here backing this KS?

Seems to be ticking along but no real impetus or excitement around it. I think it will not do much more than reach the final tile design for each theme. G&G seem to be putting all their faith in a sudden mad rush of new backers at the end of the project rather than putting in "add ons" to draw more money from existing backers.  800+ single set Early Bird slots (120 or so still available) but only 100 twin sets?

First KS I have seen or backed where I sit thinking "wish there were more options to spend money on" rather than the usual choices on what to leave out to keep to a budget. Tile add ons that are vastly more expensive than the pledges, scenery add ons that are very limited and incomplete sets (despite the KS having been going for over a month already) and storage/transport bags that are discussed but not pictured.

Wonderful looking product and very attentive team but It feels almost as if they are trying to restrain its development beyond the pre-designed 5 board sets.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 11:00:03 AM by robh »

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 12:21:55 PM »
I am. I actually like that it is not as hyped. They offer a product that I would like. And that is really it.

Some other kickstarters quickly turn into a mad rush to unlock more and more stuff and pay more and more. This just seems like a company with an idea for a product they would like some help to make it a reality nothing more.

It might be that I am naive but this seems like the true purpose of kickstarter rather than what it has become - big companies taking pre orders and kicking up a buyers frenzy.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 10:15:35 AM »
Anyone else here backing this KS?
I'm not but I'm considering it. Their Anime themed board looks usable and it's not really all that expensive either but my current situation still makes me hesitant to invest even relatively meager sums into gaming stuff. Especially since there's quite a few bitz and pieces I'm expecting to get from other KS projects that I haven't done anything with for blindingly obvious reasons.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 10:29:08 AM »
I am too, completely undecided which to get.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 12:21:05 AM »
Into the last hours of this KS now, never really taken off and struggling to make the last sets of "stretch" goals for the extra designs.
In fact they seem to have accepted the final goal (for the 28mm modern urban table) is out of reach already and just added the design anyway.

Very strange KS, I am left with the feeling that they had all the designs in hand or in concept anyway and the 4 initial plus 2 extras to unlock was a way of seeming to have stretch goals without actually adding anything new or giving anything away. .

Either way £62 for an interchangeable, rigid plastic, 6x4 pre-painted tabletop is extremely good value however they sell it.