Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:43:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: john carter  (Read 6616 times)

Offline ace67

• Bookworm
john carter
« on: May 29, 2008, 01:54:46 AM »
hey just viewed the carter vs prussians and was v impressed
im just starting at wargaming after a 8 year split and looking for
something to excite me, im doing ww1 for my love of history
im doing pulp because skirmish with a .45 outlook, its just great
and now i keep hearing about carter, i take it, its from books
and if so would like to know which, so i could delve into them
and get some excitement and mabe venture into a possible new
genre. thanks for your time
ace67
dont fire till ya can see the whites of there eyes

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
Re: john carter
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 01:58:45 AM »
John Carter of mars is one of Edgar Rice Burroughs heroes. You can find some of the John Carter stories online:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rgs/pmars-table.html

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 05:23:57 AM »
For you more primitive ink & paper types (like me ;D):

1. A Princess Of Mars AKA Under The Moons Of Mars
2. The Gods Of Mars
3. The Warlord Of Mars
4. Thuvia, Maid Of Mars
5. The Chessmen Of Mars
6. The Master Mind Of Mars
7. A Fighting Man Of Mars
8. Swords Of Mars
9. Synthetic Men Of Mars
10. LLana Of Gathol
11. John Carter Of Mars

All written by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Frankly 1-7 are the best and you really don't need to bother with the rest. If you're looking for a figure line, check out Bronze Age Miniatures Dead Earth figures:

http://www.bronzeagemin.com/miniatures_html/25MM/SCI-FI/Red%20Men/Dead-Earth-imperials.htm

http://www.bronzeagemin.com/miniatures_html/25MM/SCI-FI/Wasteland%20Mutant/Wasteland-Mutant.htm

http://www.bronzeagemin.com/miniatures_html/25MM/SCI-FI/Dead%20earth%20warrior%20women/Dead-Earth-Warrior-Women.htm

http://www.bronzeagemin.com/miniatures_html/25MM/SCI-FI/mutant%20apes/mutant-apes.htm

2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 06:31:25 AM »
I loved reading the books when I was a kid!!As an adult the writing style is a little dated. It was written in 1912(1st Book) so that should be expected!It's STILL A FANTASTIC WORK OF Imagination. Try an image search for John carter of mars or Dejah thoris and see how the book has inspired some great illustrations hope you like it

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 09:53:12 AM »
My favourite was always "John Carter, Warlord of County General Hospital!"

Only joking! Though I was always hoping someone would mention Burroughs to him on ER, but nobody ever did...

My uncle had a bunch of these books when I was a kid, and I was fascinated by them. Probably because they all seemed to have scantily-clad women on the cover.

I don't know if they are available in graphic novel form these days, but back in the 70s I remember reading Marvel John Carter comics. I absolutely loved them, and they would be a good way to get visual inspiration, I imagine. Not to mention better for folks like me with short attention spans.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 09:57:35 AM »
Here we go, I knew I wasn't imagining them:

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 10:59:06 AM »
The first three books are also available as free audio downloads from www.archive.org

Go to their site, find the audio section and search under Burroughs, rather than wade through the whole site looking for them.

I've just listened to them all, actually. Great to have on while painting. Even if it's slightly off-putting when they change readers every chapter, and the German guy who reads a couple really can't pass himself off as a Virginia Gentleman.

Given that they're amateur readers, not professional actors, they do a remarkably good job. Although, I must point out to our American friends, its "EScape", not "EXcape". Wouldn't usually bother me, but when the hero gets attacked, imprisoned and tied up every other minute, it's a word that pops up more often than you'd think.  ;)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 11:08:44 AM »
'Excape' is a common pronunciation among many black Americans. When a mistake gathers enough momentum, it ceases to be a mistake, and becomes dialect.

A bit annoying in an audio book, though, I agree.

Around here everyone says 'buzz' instead of bus.  :)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 11:09:26 AM »
Although, I must point out to our American friends, its "EScape", not "EXcape". Wouldn't usually bother me, but when the hero gets attacked, imprisoned and tied up every other minute, it's a word that pops up more often than you'd think.  ;)

It drives me crazy when I hear it and being in New Jersey, I hear it all the time (the "sc" to "x" seems to radiate out from New York City with the farther you get from it, the less it is heard---at least in this area). You can also expect to hear things like "Axed" instead of "asked".
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 11:11:27 AM »
So it's not just black Americans then? I'm used to it (and "axed") from listening to Hip Hop and R&B on my iPod.  :)

Offline meanderthal

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 11:15:40 AM »
There are several such verbal "faux pas" that I find irritating as well... but then I also tell myself this is how language evolves and changes.  Else we'd all still be speaking about Aprill and his shoures soote...
Winners never quit, and quitters never win...but if you never win, and never quit, you may just be an idiot!

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 11:19:52 AM »
Yeah. like I said, normally I'd let it go, but with it playing in the background while I'm painting, it was just this constant niggle, like needing the toilet on a car journey when you know you can't stop for at least another hour.

Sorry, wasn't trying to be funny or anything, and no offence meant to any American members. I know it's just down to accent and locality as much as anything else.

Anyway, if, like most people who aren't me, that doesn't represent a problem for you, give them a try. Made me want to buy more lead though, so a double edged sword.

Oh, and Archive also have all the Journey into Space series from the 1950s. utterly fantastic stuff, and all free.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 11:22:50 AM »
"buzz instead of bus"

am yow in the West Midlands?

being a Black Country boy myself I was repeatedly pulled up for this when I was a kid - from oiks who called a footpath a coursey and ice lollies suckers!!!!
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 12:11:07 PM »
No need to apologise, Jolly Bob. I wasn't meaning to come over as admonishing you, it's an interesting topic of conversation, and I was chipping in, that's all.

Svennn, not quite. I'm in the Welsh Marches here. But Brum is only 40 miles away and the strip of land where my accent resides is quite thin (wedged in between the Yam Yams and the Iantos as we are here). There are folks with West Midlands accents only about fifteen miles or so from here, and we do share some mannerisms and ways of speaking.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 06:56:45 PM by Plynkes »

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 12:37:15 PM »
No need to apologise, Jolly Bob. I wasn't meaning to come over as admonishing you, it's an interesting topic of conversation, and I was chipping in, that's all.

I know you weren't telling me off mate, I just thought I'd better clarify my statement before someone took offence at something unintentional.  :)

And since we've derailed the thread, I may as well continue. Have any of you ever heard a West Cumbrian accent? Even the best of us sound frankly backward. There is not one redeeming feature of the accent, unlike it's close relative from the fells, which at least is good for giving tourists a laugh and counting things in secret.

I thank god my mum was brought up in Manchester, by people with class pretensions, and used to smack the local out of us kids.