Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:00:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fist Full of Kung Fu - new painted pics on page 5  (Read 42648 times)

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
Re: Fist Full of Kung Fu
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2013, 08:49:40 AM »
Absolutely. He'd still need to be smart (or lucky), but if you like having your eggs in a single basket, it's entirely do-able.
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2013, 10:10:53 AM »
Coms, I'm not sure how familiar you are with the Songs engine? But from the top of my head I can name a number of traits from the core game that more than likely would have made it into this one that would easily help create such a character. And it still plays fine all the same. The only thing to watch out for is that the Songs engine is low on bookkeeping so there are no wounds (except for tough characters who have one?) or other kind of damage progression. There are statuses like knocked down which give the enemy a big bonus on the next attack but in the end the police player would need to play his card right, stack his advantages and then roll as many dice as he can and hope to get lucky. There is no slowly taking down that master by inflicting minor wounds, only trying to kill and hoping for the best.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2013, 10:32:16 AM »
The AFOKF system actually introduces a number of new combat results that can be applied by a successful attack – it is NOT simply knock-down/kill. Furthermore, there are many ways for a smart player to level the playing field against difficult odds, whether outnumbered or outnumbering – focusing attacks, teaming up, spending Chi points for more powerful attacks etc.

Tougher characters are distinguished by the combat results that apply to them – for example, a minion-level character will be Knocked Out by a level 1 combat effect, and Killed by a level 2, while a Protagonist (hero/villain etc.) will only be Knocked Down by a level 2 (assuming, that is, the player inflicting the damage chooses those effects – he might opt to force the character to Recoil, perhaps off a cliff or into an environmental danger). It's a lot more detailed than previous Song-engine games, but it's not overly complicated. The table below should offer more of an insight (not to mention raise a lot of questions regarding various terms!):

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2013, 04:54:35 PM »
Hey Smith, thanks for the preview! That table really gets my interest going, maybe more than anything else yet. Having all those effects right there build into the combat results rather then being tacked on (something I must admit has been the case in other songs games) Does give the suggestion this will be a step or two deepen then straight up songs. More complicated and more bookkeeping but also more interesting and cinematic.

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2013, 07:02:33 PM »
Thanks for the answer, Smith, sounds good :)

Tim, didn't had the chance to play it more than the games we played.
I'm looking for some rules to recreate a comic I like, with lot's of Martial Art inside, and gunfight, set in a modern Japan (at least a part of Japan ;) )

Offline marcusluis

• Scientist
    • marcos painting blog
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2013, 12:05:20 AM »
That is true, off the top of my head I can't think of a bad Kurt Russell film...

I can Escape from LA was dire !!

Sorry mate..

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2013, 03:53:30 PM »
It's quite a good day: come back from the weekend and find this waiting for me – an advance copy of A Fistful of Kung Fu.

Now for the traditional post-advance-copy mantra: "please no typos, please no typos, please no typos..."

Online v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2013, 06:45:01 PM »
That looks good  :D
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2013, 06:56:31 PM »
I can Escape from LA was dire !!

Sorry mate..

'Overboard'.

But then, Goldie Hawn is in it too, so ....
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2013, 09:23:36 PM »
Some new pics have gone up, plus a couple that haven't appeared on here I don't think. The pics are a bit big in my opinion, paint jobs rarely look great when shown hugely blown up.

So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Fist Full of Kung Fu - new painted pics on page 5
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2013, 09:56:18 PM »
*** Can't keep up anymore...  :'(
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2013, 10:19:19 PM »
I think it's Kev Dallimore painting these, so you know it's wonderful quality. No-one's work holds up to ultra-close scrutiny (even Monet!) so you probably get the best from them by looking at a more 'normal' sized image.

Just look at the beautiful work of light and depth on that gold border ... gorgeous.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2013, 10:24:57 PM »
Yep, they're Dallimore's work. I assume you can alter the size a pic appears at, I just don't know how. I stole those from Facebook :)

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2013, 10:26:36 AM »
In what way do those look bad? I hope Mr Dallimore comes over and paints all my stuff that badly!

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2013, 10:49:15 AM »
It's a lot more detailed than previous Song-engine games, but it's not overly complicated. The table below should offer more of an insight (not to mention raise a lot of questions regarding various terms!):

So the winner gets to pick one effect?

I was going to give this one a pass because I already have three Song-engine rulesets, but it seems this actually is more than a minor variation with a re-skin.
Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net