Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:43:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690932
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 699
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Going West...  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Astor

• Librarian
Going West...
« on: November 15, 2013, 12:01:45 PM »
Hello chaps,

A few weeks ago, me and a few others in our club were discussing ideas for games we could do that wouldn't require much in the way of terrain, figures, and were pretty simple to play. We discussed quite a few options - SAGA, Muskets and Tomahawks (which I really do want to play some time), small scale VBCW, and then I happened to mention that I had Legends of the Old West on my bookshelf. 'Is that like the Legend of the High Seas game you ran?' they asked, and when I explained it simply swapped Pirates for Cowboys they were thrilled, and then I found myself being volunteered to run yet another series of games...

And I soon found myself breaking the rule regarding small amounts of terrain and figures. I've always admired Sarissa's building but never had an excuse to buy them till now, and coupled with small pile of Artizan figures I had piled around, I'd more or less got everything I needed without spending too much. A couple of hours of Deadwood, Rio Bravo, The Searchers, and anything else I had on DVD later, and I was suitably inspired and the town of Flatiron, Arizona was born -

Here we have the Marshal's Office, the only building I've completed so far, along with two Ornery looking Ranchers -

Originally I had decided not to decorate the insides, but the building looked so nice assembled I couldn't help myself (although perhaps I did spend too much time looking at wallpaper patterns) -

Slightly better, but not excellent close up of the two Cowboys -

A friend gave me these - they picked them up at Salute, they said, but I don't recall seeing a stand with these on. Apparently it was a random bag of building parts and they've managed to create these and another building (that I'll probably use as a bunkhouse). They're a little weird - the Saloon on the right has ground floot doors and windows that are to scale with my miniatures, but the upper floor doors and windows are smaller (but so small that it's a problem). Does anyone recognise who makes these? I'm not going to spend too much time on these apart from create new signs (I don't know about you, but I wouldn't buy groceries from an Undertaker!) and paint the exteriors for use as purely background terrain.

Now I've just got to paint the other eight buildings (including those above), finish the Gallows, and then I might actually get around to painting the two gangs that'll be populating the town...

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Going West...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 12:17:11 PM »
What a cracking start, Astor!
Nice work.
 :-*

That is a lovely building, nice interior too.
I have just embarked on my own OW project and having a few interiors to work on is something that I am looking forward to.
That is a lovely inspirational example.
 8)

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 12:49:22 PM »
good start... this gets addictive you know
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 01:35:31 PM »
And another young man going west, great stuff  :D
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 08:21:05 PM »
Nicely done.  :D
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."