Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:07:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690991
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fallout: Heading East  (Read 210554 times)

Offline Noctuary

• Librarian
Re: Fallout: Heading East - Start on a Brotherhood Humvee
« Reply #825 on: June 20, 2015, 09:44:32 PM »
Nice work man, I can't wait to see that painted up.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Fallout: Heading East - Start on a Brotherhood Humvee
« Reply #826 on: June 21, 2015, 10:49:44 AM »
Pretty badass dude
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Fallout: Heading East - Vault Game
« Reply #827 on: June 25, 2015, 03:00:24 AM »
Well for this week's game at my club I ran another game of Fallout (no crap, that is the name of this thread). Not many pictures as its a tad awkward doing that during a game.

Scenario: A group of Mercenaries are contracted to blow their way into a Vault. They must plant the explosives on the central ring of the Vault elevator and have it explode. Additionally they recquire that at least half their number survives in order to hold the position so that nobody makes it into the Vault and tampers with it before them. However the Vault's located on the territory of the local Raider gang. Its their objective to kill at least half the Mercenaries number and have at least half of their own survives so they can oust the intruders. Whether the Vault is blown up or not doesn't matter to the Raiders (though it might if weird crap starts pouring out of it...).

The Mercenaries were made up of six models. One leader armed with an AK. Two veteran mercs with SMGs, and three regular mercs with Semi-Auto Rifles. All of them were wearing body armour and one of the veterans was carrying the explosives to blow into the Vault.

Meanwhile the Raiders had nine models. Their leader was kitted out in a suit of Power Armour and carried a flamethrower. One Raider had body armour and an Auto-Axe. Another had an SMG. The remaining six were a mixture of baseball bats and pistols, and compared to the other Raiders only had one hitpoint each.

The Mercenaries deployed along the board edge to the right of the Vault (referencing the first image). The Raiders were on the left, but could place a third of their men inside the Diner. I was playing the Raiders and my opponent was the Mercenaries (but obviously he knew how bent guns were and I'd give one side a crap ton of them).

I won the first ton so moved first. Being fairly close to the enemy and armed with close combat weapons the Raiders inside the Diner spread out. One armed with a shotgun, and as the first action of the game, somehow nailed one of the mercenaries who was covering behind a car. The mercenaries returned fire and killed the guy with the shotgun and another Raider, as the rest of their number moved into cover around the Vault. The next turn the mercenaries strengthened their position and laid down some fire on the advancing Raiders, wounding one, but not downing him.

Following that the Raiders gained the initiative and the Mercenaries Diner flank started to crumble as their men were assaulted in close combat. The Power Armoured Raider approached moving between the cover along the mesh fence. This was noticed however, and though missing him, the baseball bat wielding Raider beside him went down. After this things didn't look good for the Mercenaries. They lost a guy to the Auto-Axe Raider on the Diner side and moved in another to cover. The flamethrower wielding Raider had moved close enough to fire his weapon and easily burned one of the Mercenaries to a crisp.

By the Vault the Mercenaries had decided that their position was untenable and so the guy holding the explosives ran to set them up (using a special ability to move further than he was supposed to that turn). With no hope of disarming the explosives, or rather not caring about them, one Raider jumped the barricade he was behind to shoot the Mercenary in the back as he retreated. As he moved forward the explosives went off and he was turned into paste.

Despite blowing open the Vault things just weren't going their way. Another Mercenary went down in the melee on the Diner side. As the explosives Mercenary retreated more Raiders moved up on his position. Their leader laid down some more fire and wounder the enemy leader, but he quickly hurtled towards her. Power Armour enhanced strength doesn't suit well with a regular human in Combat Armour and he yanked her up by the head and well ...crunch. At that point both sides had lost more than half their starting numbers and the game had run on for about five or six turns. The Vault had been opened, but neither side could hold the position. As a result it was declared a minor victory for the Mercenaries, but with nobody around to secure the Vault anybody could come along in the meantime before another group of Mercenaries could be funded.

Meh, a silly little scenario that was an excuse to use the newer terrain that I'd made. What did I take away from it? That I should make some hills and dirt track roads so that I can run a proper wasteland game instead of having them always tied to civilization. That's fine as I already have a hill with a bunker inside of it, though I'm not quite as enthusiastic about making generic terrain like that as I am regular miniatures as they have less character. That I need to put more effort in to learn the This is Not a Test ruleset was something on my mind as well, though I'm begrudged to read the thing off a tablet during games rather than a hard copy.

Anyhow, what am I up to? The Brotherhood Humvee's being painted at the moment. There's rubble piles in my to do pile, though yet again the Enclave are being put on a back burner as I reprioritise (they'll be painted one day...). In the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. world I've put more work into the wooden house I was making, though as usual I've ran out of balsa to make that (eugh, silly me forgot that I was making the whole thing out of one size of wood, but I'd been buying the same amount of all the sizes I used instead of just that).

Offline eek

• Bookworm
« Reply #828 on: June 25, 2015, 04:14:41 AM »
That's a terrific looking setup, must be a blast to play on! (pun intended  :D )

Offline Gargobot

• Librarian
« Reply #829 on: June 25, 2015, 07:44:36 AM »
Lots of stuff happened in here since last I checked. Looking good as always. :)
Sounds like a fun game, looks great too.
Your terrain is not generic enough? I wish I had that problem. ^^
Regarding the rules, isn't there some kind of reference sheet you could print out? Or maybe do one yourself? Oh and btw, how'd you like the ruleset?

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #830 on: June 25, 2015, 07:45:11 AM »
Despite no in game photos,  it was still a great report.  Looking forward to seeing the Humble and enclave.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #831 on: June 25, 2015, 08:07:57 AM »
@ Gargobot

For This is Not a Test? Aye there's a reference sheet at the end, but its not comprehensive. I've been told that they're working on some quick start rules, but they're a while off. If I had a paper copy in front of me I could reference it, but I hate searching through a tablet to do the same thing. The print release is a while off supposedly unfortunately. What I've read about that ruleset so far has me interesting, which is why I'm bitching so much. The wound system is a bit intriguing, that's the reason why I made the Bloody Mess markers (as sure if a model is killed only once then they're removed, but if they take multiple wounds I'll put down one of those markers). I'll probably give a round up of what I think once I've actually played a game with them, but so far all I can say is that 7Tv, whilst sufficient, isn't custom made for the setting. This is Not a Test kind of sort of is ...though don't tell that to Bethesda's lawyers. ;)

Bit of a blast from the past here. I started this last year and forgot about it. Originally it was to be a maintenance building to go along with the radio tower. Now I'm turning it into a basement.

I'll have it surrounded by concrete so overall what you'd see from the outside would the first floor of the building sitting on top of a concrete plinth that the basement is hidden inside.

To do: fill in all the gaps. Add in a few wee details. Build the concrete platform that'll surround it (which will have a flight of stairs leading up to the first floor). Add in a set of stairs to the basement. Decide what's going in the basement. I think I'll have a big fuel cylinder, with the top floor filled with computers and tape machines.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Fallout: Heading East - WIP Industrial Building
« Reply #832 on: June 26, 2015, 03:26:07 AM »
And this is where I'm now at with this building.

That's the platform now had its frame built around the basement. Obviously there's a lot more work to do with that and its just the basis to plunk stuff on top of. It gives people an idea of what I was talking about though. The empty bit on the right will be a set of stairs.

The intention with this thing is so that urban environments aren't so flat. In effect this is an urban hill (though I guess big piles of rubble would suit in that role too). The basement is there just to make it a bit more interesting and I doubt that it'll see a great deal of use in games unless there's a reason to go down there. ...Then again it could prove to be a spawning place for creepy things or be the entrance to the board from previous scenarios where one player traveled via the sewer system.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #833 on: June 26, 2015, 10:57:46 PM »
Yeah, a lair, an entrance to something, the end exit point (via subway).

When you've spent so long on it it needs to be used!! :)

Cheers
Matt.

Offline MajorTalon

• Scientist
  • Talon Company!
« Reply #834 on: July 02, 2015, 03:30:10 AM »
Liking the building, can't wait to see more. 8)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Fallout: Heading East
« Reply #835 on: July 09, 2015, 02:27:59 PM »
I've been painting the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. cabin for a game on Tuesday today, but I came across something accidently that looks like a cool thing to bring to the Fallout universe: the 1960's idea of what a "Future Soldier" would look like.

Why yes he does have a jet pack and lead underwear...

More here: https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/behold-the-soldier-of-the-future-of-the-1950s.223574/

And isn't it just glorious? I was already planning out what parts to use to make one as soon as I seen him. Youknow seeing this actually makes me want to see that as the pre-war military uniform, I may just request that a modder more capable than I make that...

So aye, maybe expect a WIP to crop up eventually, even if I already have a million other things being worked on. I just thought this'd be interesting to see given the setting. :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 02:35:47 PM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #836 on: July 09, 2015, 02:44:10 PM »
Ignoring the rocket belt (and the plastic undies), that's spookily accurate compared to now.  :o

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #837 on: July 09, 2015, 03:21:12 PM »
Here's an article with the jump belts: http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/3/2504531/jetpack-history-future-passed

Its interesting as yes you can see how today's soldiers compare to that ideal. Of course its like telling someone back then what soldiers wear now and them interpreting it with what technology they had to hand ...then sticking in their own "improvements". The same could be said of us jumping forward thirty/forty years and looking at our current ideas of future soldiers to what's actually being used.

Still, seeing as the whole Fallout franchise lives off of the 50s idea of the future those images I feel as particularly relevant. Its odd then that Bethesda chose to go for a WWII era GI look for their soldiers as opposed to that, though seeing as the army is hardly at the cutting edge and those designs were for soldiers in 1965 I guess that look fits.

I would like to see alternatives to the military outfits on offer in Fallout, rather than just the standard Combat Armour and Power Armour variants. The trailer did show off a different style of combat armour worn by a guard outside the Vault at least (plus New Vegas had the top of the line versions).

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #838 on: July 09, 2015, 04:22:02 PM »
Great find, I had seen this before but never thought of an aplication for them. Until now that is.

Offline Raxxus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #839 on: July 09, 2015, 05:26:10 PM »
You should try and make one of the new warhammer fantasy figs into a fallout powerarmor post apoc figure.