Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:46:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sir Ralph Percy of Leconfield and out!  (Read 2868 times)

Offline 15thpanzer

• Librarian
Sir Ralph Percy of Leconfield and out!
« on: November 17, 2013, 05:04:59 PM »
After a painting free summer I have finally added the last retinue to my Lancastrian army. This will probably be the final wotr retinue I paint. Other than a few command stands I think I will call it a day and move to a new addiction. I am sure the Perrys future plastic sets will lure me back, but I now have the two full armies I set out to paint. I plan to get them properly photographed as a Christmas present to myself so hope to post the whole bunch in the new year.

Now, any suggestions for a new project?

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
Re: Sir Ralph Percy of Leconfield and out!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 07:29:39 PM »
Nicely done

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 08:52:56 PM »
Well played.
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 09:10:18 PM »
Wonderful conclusion to an epic project  :)

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 09:47:35 PM »
Great looking unit!   :)
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 09:54:23 PM »
Nice to see Sir Ralph getting out. Very nice job.

Offline Steel fist

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 11:37:01 PM »
this is a very impressive army, well done, i have enjoyed looking as you have built it.
i would like to see you do samurai as you can do the mass effect really well, there is a good choice of samurai miniatures to choose from on the other adventures board
cheers

Offline 15thpanzer

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 11:18:03 AM »
Thanks Gents. I feel institutionalised at present. Not sure what to get stuck into next. Interesting samurai suggestion, I had not thought beyond Europe and Perry do a great range. Will have a nosey at their catalogue. Current considerations are WWII North Africa, all the French Napoleonic heavy cavalry divisions at Waterloo, a later Swiss pike army or maybe I just carry on with the WotR until the van with square wheels pulls up. Whatever, I will continue to post on this most inspiring and supportive forum, I just don't know which bit. Cheers.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 11:22:59 AM »
When those two new Perry boxes come out, I feel sure (like me!) you will be adding more to your WOTR collection - whether you want to or not!  o_o ;D ;)

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paulīs Bods
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 12:27:11 PM »
maybe I just carry on with the WotR until the van with square wheels pulls up.
Keep going  :) After a couple of years they have nice Long sleeve jackets that fasten up the back on offer as well  :)
I knew the truck didnīt want to hit me...it had dodge written on the front

Paulīs Bods Blog
Federation of Bodstonia

Offline 15thpanzer

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 05:50:45 PM »
Capt. That is exactly what will happen and I'm prepared. Just wish I knew when they were going to see the light of day.

Paul. I undercoated some cuirassiers last week. I haven't looked at them since and ploughed on with some spare WotR. It felt unfaithful. That big bouncy cell beckons.

Offline Ming

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 06:13:13 PM »
Your figures are amazing, they really do you credit. I like the way you have weathered the bows on the archers and I am also very taken with the way you have done the bases. Any tips?

Offline 15thpanzer

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 03:44:13 PM »
I like the way you have weathered the bows on the archers and I am also very taken with the way you have done the bases. Any tips?

Hello Ming. Thanks for your comments. Really appreciated. The bows are just painted with watered down highlight shades over a flat earth brown getting lighter to the centre with a black wash over. The bases are done in the quickest way possible I know by employing a few short cuts. First I dye the basing sand en mass with a watered down dark brown paint. Left to dry it re-establishes its individual grains, but is ready painted. Paint the wooden bases all over in a dark brown. Then apply the figures and dyed sand (and a few stones) with PVA at the same time. Once set, a single dry brush with light sand colour. The flock is a mixture of two shades applied with watered down PVA then a few tufts applied to the bare spaces. I've based a hell of a lot of figs this way, so if there is an easier and quicker way I think I would rather not know! Cheers

Offline Ming

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 06:42:37 PM »
Thanks for that. I'would not have thought to dye the basing material first. I have normally tried to paint the effect on after basing and it just looks a mess. I'll give it a bash & see what happens.