Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:58:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hopkirk's Crossing - Elk's Old West project - progress!  (Read 19685 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Hopkirk's Crossing - Elk's Old West project
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 01:10:13 AM »
Yep, both look great to me.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 07:39:42 AM »
Thanks! It looks like Old Tom the Pulp lighthouse keeper will also double as Laurence 'Old Tom' Thomas, Old West stationmaster.

There's another Old West thread on the reasons behind Old West being so skirmish based. Part of the appeal, I reckon, is being able to create your own potable histories for the towns you create, filling them with characters and events. Old West is a nice fit for that approach that's also manageable to deliver, even for me (I say this now with 2 painted figures out of about 72!).

I also picked up a small herd of nine longhorns (all they still had) from Irregular Miniatures at Smoggycon (and two crocs for Pulp and gladiator stuff). I totally forgot to buy basing clumps though! The new cowboys and cattle will get cleaned and based up only when I finish painting the current batch.

I still haven't found my colour scheme for the base boards yet. I tried some emulsion testers but they looked a little insipid.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 04:34:44 PM »
They both look great, mate.
Herschel Kent must have a mighty fine tailor.
Them theres some right fancy duds!
 :-* :-*

I think that figure makes a perfect stationmaster.
Them railroad trains be a runnin' when it gets dark too.
Very clever.
 8)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 04:50:16 PM »
They both look great, mate.
Herschel Kent must have a mighty fine tailor.
Them theres some right fancy duds!
 :-* :-*

I think that figure makes a perfect stationmaster.
Them railroad trains be a runnin' when it gets dark too.
Very clever.
 8)

Cheers mate! Herschel started off as a tardy old guy in scruffy clothes, but I changed my mind and made him 'pree-zentabull'.

I might have to get my own train out of the attic and see what needs to be done to 'wargamify' it. I had thought I might have to base the track, especially to run it over the textured wallpaper. I may regret that approach yet!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 06:43:30 PM »
I might have to get my own train out of the attic and see what needs to be done to 'wargamify' it. I had thought I might have to base the track, especially to run it over the textured wallpaper. I may regret that approach yet!

I am going to base mine as I think it will look better that way.
That wont be until next year so maybe we should synchronise watches and do them at the same time in order to compare notes?

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 01:37:21 AM »
The lighthouse keeper looks just right!  :-*  :-*

Out very early in the morning, waving on the Flying Mackerel Express upline, while the peasants wait on the side line in their stuffy box cars. (you try being a fish monger in the middle of the west... fresh stock is expensive  ;D )

Cheers
Matt

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 07:40:51 AM »
I took a bit of a chance on an eBay bundle of mdf Old West buildings. I didn't recognise them but it turns out it was a mate of a mate of the seller's with access to a laser cutter. I put an offer in expecting it to be flatly turned down but it wasn't. A few days later a bloody massive box arrived. I was pleasantly surprised. There was a hotel, a sheriff's office, a store, a 2 storey building, 2 single storey buildings, a water tower, 2 double outhouse WCs, 2 single WCs and 2 apparent prototype oversized WCs. The buildings fit 28mm nicely enough though I reckon they are more sized for Malifaux. The footprints of the main buildings are big; the hotel is 260mm x 320mm and takes up an entire board tile. The store and sheriff's building are also big. All can be used for gaming locations internally. I have most of the other buildings already with only a livery stable, undertaker's and perhaps a small shop and/or under construction building still required. I'm thinking of picking these up from 'Products for Wargamers'. I'd planned more but they simply won't fit on the table now! I was going to paint one up before putting a photo up but with the C word approaching I doubt I'll get time. I just thought I'd mention that I am still making some progress as it seems to help me keep at it!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 07:47:51 AM by Elk101 »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 09:43:18 AM »
Hmmm, would definitely like to see pics of the stuff!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 10:03:41 AM »
Hmmm, would definitely like to see pics of the stuff!

Me too.
Sounds like a great deal!
 8)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 10:09:27 AM »
I'll try and take some photos tonight!

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2013, 07:38:48 AM »
The hotel: run by JB Hopkirk Jnr, this is basically a front for hookers and gambling. Ephraim Doyle, JB's main henchman has a permanent room here.

I'm tempted by either a green with white detail PJ, or maroon with white detail. So many bordello type establishments seem to be red though!

I still haven't decided on a name yet.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:55:51 AM by Elk101 »

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2013, 07:53:27 AM »
More photos (taken from the eBay listing hence the lack of my figures to show scale).

Sheriff Wade Tillman's office is pretty big with enough cell space to cater for the most restless of towns.
The WCs come in single and double units for those who like to chat.
Robert S McColl's general store pretty much sells everything you need, a problem for the smaller shop owners of the town.
Dr Littlefield's premises is one of the larger town dwellings. He (will eventually) even has a garden.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 08:58:44 AM by Elk101 »

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2013, 08:25:55 AM »
Mate, this seems to be such a great start!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2013, 09:54:41 AM »
Mate, this seems to be such a great start!

It sure does!
 8)

I particularly like the detailing on the verandah and balcony of the bordello.
I could be tempted by one of those.
 ;)

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 09:53:19 AM »
Who makes Old Tom? I have been hunting ranges for some time today but can't find him. :'(

Thanks! It looks like Old Tom the Pulp lighthouse keeper will also double as Laurence 'Old Tom' Thomas, Old West stationmaster.

There's another Old West thread on the reasons behind Old West being so skirmish based. Part of the appeal, I reckon, is being able to create your own potable histories for the towns you create, filling them with characters and events. Old West is a nice fit for that approach that's also manageable to deliver, even for me (I say this now with 2 painted figures out of about 72!).

I also picked up a small herd of nine longhorns (all they still had) from Irregular Miniatures at Smoggycon (and two crocs for Pulp and gladiator stuff). I totally forgot to buy basing clumps though! The new cowboys and cattle will get cleaned and based up only when I finish painting the current batch.

I still haven't found my colour scheme for the base boards yet. I tried some emulsion testers but they looked a little insipid.
Cheers,
Poiter50