Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:36:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Arkham Encounter Markers & Game Objectives  (Read 3346 times)

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
Arkham Encounter Markers & Game Objectives
« on: May 29, 2008, 05:42:34 PM »
Thought I'd share something I've started using for my games relating to Horror Game Objectives or encounters.  Most of this has been borrowed and modified for talks on these forums and various wargame systems.  I found it particularly useful for spicing up a game and building tension as well as having a looming threat of nameless Horrors appear. 

Most of my models, figures, and scenery are set in Dunwich (a fictitional rural lovecraft town setting) in the 30's.  Instead of the pulp city, I have a creepy run down old coastal town with run down buildings, docks, barns, farmhouses and so on.

We use the Astounding Tales Rules set and each player usually has a 2 figure cast of good characters to play Reporters, Detectives, Local Fisherman, Big City Cops, Playboys & Girls, Hobos MSU Faculty and Staff etc. (out of towners)

With an evil character usually controlling a force of 6 figure Deep Ones, Ghouls, Zombies, Cultists, or a more powerful evil character like Herbert West. 

Everyone is competing usually to find the relic and get out of town alive.

As so all of my encounter and game markers fit within that genre setting.  Old well, a scarecrow, a cellar door entrance, a dug up grave, a dead body.  I place a small numbered coin underneath to coorespond to a particular preset encounter.

With this in mind I designed a very simple way to incorporate my encounter markers, game objectives, and the terrifying possibility that some horror is awakened to eat everybody.

SPECIAL EVENT MARKERS
Instructions
In turn, each player may place a special event marker on the game playing area to trigger random and special events.  The tokens must be 6” from the starting area of any figure and at least 6” from each other.  Whenever an intelligent figure comes in base to base contact with a marker and spends an action to interact with a marker reveal the hidden number and follow the cooresponding enconter instructions.  Most markers may be used only once.
(example detective walks up to the Scarecrow, after passing SMARTS test he finds a crumpled bit of paper that is 1/3rd of the victory objective)

•   Ruin Covered Talisman (Clue Marker):  1st to pass a SMARTS test receives a Clue Token.
•    Diary (Clue Marker):  1st to pass a SMARTS test receives a Clue Token.
•    Crumpled Piece of Paper (Clue Marker):  1st to pass a SMARTS test receives a Clue Token.
•   Strange Clouds Darken the Sky (Monster Trigger): 
•    Foul Smell (Monster Trigger): 
•    A Chill in the Air (Monster Trigger):
•    Secret Passage:  The player controlling this figure must immediately desinate and mark a legal location in play with a destination marker.  At any later time, this player (while in base contact with this marker) may forfeit a turn to transport all friendly figures within 5” of the token to this destination.  This token may only be used once.
•    Perfect Hiding Place:  While at this location and still, this figure only gains the Invisibility skill. 
•    Distant Female Screams:  Select the nearest other encounter marker to this location.  All friendly male characters within 24” of this location must make RUNNING moves to reach that location until someone reaches that location.  Place a Hapless Victim at that location (see Hapless Victim).
Hapless Victim:  You discover a hapless innocent victim (supporting cast) that needs to be successfully rescued from the map in addition to normal victory goals.

NOTES
CLUE MARKERS AND THE RELIC
Whenever a character encounters a Clue Marker, the 1st to pass a SMARTS test receives a clue token.  Whenever a character is in possession of all 3 clue tokens, they have discovered all the pieces to the Relic (the game objective) and may leave the map through any of the pre determined exit points to win.  Other opposing figures may kill or render characters unconscious to steal any number of clue markers or the assembled Relic.

MONSTER TRIGGERS
Monster Triggers activate automatically when discovered.  Whenever the 3rd Monster Trigger is activated, something terrible appears.  This Monster is immediately placed at the nearest other special event token and attacks/approaches the nearest figure whenever a joker is drawn.  This Monster will continue until slain.

1 Swarm of Insects
 2 Hound of Tindolos
 3 Dark young
 4 Shoggoth
 5 The Caller in the Dark
 6 Cthulhu

I should point out Astounding Tales uses a Card Deck style turn play.  Simply each player has few suited cards with a couple of face cards.
After each turn a card is drawn, the player with the suited card gets to take a turn for a figure.  If a face card is drawn, the player may move all their figures. 

Two Jokers are included in the deck to trigger Monster actions and to reshuffle the deck (after two jokers have been turned).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 06:26:01 PM by gauntman »
"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
Re: Arkham Encounter Markers & Game Objectives
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 06:11:53 PM »
Some really nice concepts there.We use the Mordheim rules with the old warhammer Cool stat for sanity checks.The idea of monster triggers are inspired.Might have to nick that idea.Thanks for sharing. ;)
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 06:29:17 PM »
I kind of stole or drafted a sanity reaction chart for Monsters to terrible to behold.  I can't remember what rules system I pulled it from but here it is.

Horror Check Chart
ROLL   REACTION   RECOVER
2   Unhinged   Model immediately makes a move action and runs in the opposite direction from Horror.  It attacks closest target while moving.  Model will continue to attack any model within 5” while running.  Perform a GUTS test every 2 turns after fleeing to recover or continue until off board.
3   Runs Away   Model flees from Horror.  Model immediately makes a run action and runs in the opposite direction from Horror.  Perform a GUTS test every turn after fleeing to recover or continue until off board.
4   Fighting Retreat   Model is forced to immediately move away at walking speed from the Horror but may still make normal ranged attacks against it.  Perform a GUTS test every turn after retreating, to recover or continue until off board.
5   Hide   Model immediately runs to the closest position of cover.  May begin making GUTS tests to recover after being in cover for 1 turn.
6   Stand Transfixed   No movement until the Horror is killed or a GUTS test is made at the end of the figures turn.
7   Cower   Model may not move or attack until the Horror is killed or a GUTS test is made at the end of the figures turn. 
8   Kneel and Pray   Model continues to pray until the Horror is killed or a GUTS test is made at the end of the figures turn.  If this figure has Faith Skill they may still use it.
9   Faints   Model immediately slumps to the ground; roll 1d6 to determine turns out of play.  This counts as one turn.
10   Ignores Other Targets   Model attacks this Horror ignoring all other threats and issues until this Horror is removed from play.
11   Shaky Fire   Model receives -1 to GATS rolls for the rest of the game due to shaken nerves.  It must immediately fire at Horror but is free do as it wishes for all remaining turns.
12   Martyr   Suicidal Charge.  Model must immediately run toward the Horror.  Model must continue to charge until they have engaged the Horror in melee with a FISTS test.  Model recovers after making first melee attack.

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 06:54:05 PM »
I enjoy using modifed Astounding Tales rules because they are so simple and require very few references or charts or stat tracking.

They are great for Pulp/Horror.

Never seen the Mordheim (Warhammer Rules)

Offline geronimo

• Scientist
    • Fenris Games eBay store
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 05:35:09 PM »
Sounds intriguing - will have to look up the Astounding Tales rules...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 05:41:17 PM »
Some great  ideas there!

They look like they would be very easy to adapt to solo play, if they were placed randomly & there were some dummy markers used.

I  recently ordered Astounding Tales from TVAG and once it arrives, I'll be able to give it a go  :)

I like the idea of the coastal town too, as it gives more possibilities for encounters etc than a landlocked setting.

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 05:49:13 PM »
I like having team entry and exit points.

For instance:

The Ghouls enter, exit and respawn from an open grave or crypt in the graveyard. 

Deep Ones do the same from an ocean inlet or "Dock".

and humans have a road in or out of town.

A neat thing too.  If your using vehicle rules.  The human players may commander a car to make their escape out of town.  Pretty cinematic....

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 06:36:06 PM »
Good stuff.I think will give the markers a crack this weekend and see how they play...hanks again! ;)

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 06:44:18 PM »
Posted by: marrony 
Insert Quote
Good stuff.I think will give the markers a crack this weekend and see how they play...hanks again! 

Let me know how it works for you.  Especially if you come up with any new encounters on aspects that might be worth sharing.

I have toyed with the idea of having a weapon upgrade (shotgun) as one of the encounters.  Most of the figures in play, except the monsters, are usually personalities with very limited weapons (pistols, knives, fists, a shovel).  I've been a little concerned about over arming the figures. 

Offline Gallowglass

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 07:37:02 PM »
There are some great ideas there  ;)
Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.