Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:34:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dunwich Folks Suggestions  (Read 4566 times)

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
Dunwich Folks Suggestions
« on: November 19, 2013, 10:11:16 AM »
Hi All

I'm looking at putting together a Dunwich Folk mob for VUK, but struggling to find suitable miniatures. I love the idea of a backwater family type, but the only miniatures I can find along those lines tend to be a bit more post apocalyptic. Can anyone suggestion any suitable minis for Dunwich Family?

Thanks

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
Re: Dunwich Folks Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 02:21:40 PM »
For a few starting points...

Copplestone hillbillies - quite big models
Blue Moon hillbilly boxes, also including trucks but maybe not the best sculpts
Brigade Games - found in Atomic Cafe, not Pulp
RAFM has the canonical characters, in smallish scale by today's standards. Their maniacs and such may be usable too.
Fenris has some new, relatively timeless hicks.

Then you can possibly find something useful from Black Cat (but note the state of the company) or source Citadel's old Gothic Horror minis. I've used most of those successfully.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 02:25:09 PM by Dolmot »

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 04:30:34 PM »
In terms of characterful backwoods types, Pulp Figure's Mad Trappers are a great option as well.  They even come with bear traps!

Having been considering a Dunwich cult recently myself, it's come as quite a surprise just how rare mutant hillbilly miniatures are.

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 04:36:51 PM »
Some of Foundry's range of Old West Mountain Men (Rocky Mountain Rendezvous and Men in the Wilderness) make great hillbillies for Dunwich.  They are a little overdressed (weatherwise) but have lots of great detail and weapons options.
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 06:56:50 PM »
Tengu Models have a great tentacled mass for The Horror and next year we (UMW) will be putting out a pack of mutant babies...possibly with mother.

Offline Mathyoo

• Scientist
    • My blog here!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 08:16:49 PM »
I've built my Dunwich folks from GW's beastemen - Ungor herd if I'm correct - the small ones. Only got 3 so far, sculpted some trousers (only on one, thats a lot of work :P) and a pistol for one. Others have a bow and a club, included in the box :P. I really wanted the goatish legs, but reading the rules, those are kinda special mutation :P

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 09:31:02 PM »
Vesper-On has a few hybrids in their Carnevale range. They will be listed in the Rashaar faction.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 09:42:04 AM »
Thanks folks. Great suggestions, I was kind of surprised there wasn't more of a market for inbred mutant hillbillies with the popularity of Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Hills Have Eyes... I think the Atomic Cafe lot certainly has that look!  :)

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 10:05:59 AM »
Brittania still have their range of Hill-billies available, although not on the site so you'd have to email for details. They're "modern", but apart from having to do a couple of weapon swops, they could work. Matakishi has pictures up on his site: http://www.matakishi.com/saucerpeople.htm
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 10:36:23 AM »
I can't seem to find much on this company, seems to of been a kickstarter, but seems they plan to make it readily available at some point, but Mythos Foundry have a Wilbur Whateley too, which I think would make for a good Deadly Spawn :D

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 11:28:31 AM by gmanrocks »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 11:24:06 AM »
I am aiming to get my Cultists/Hillbillies/Wrong 'uns cast up before the end of theyear.
Dont know if they would be of interest...

The first eight are here:
http://blindbeggarminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/

and the rest are on my thread from here:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=39808.2040

I just need to finish off the last two (non-human) Cult members to go in the mould.

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 02:01:20 PM »
Cool. They'd certainly do the trick for cultist minions :)

I've built my Dunwich folks from GW's beastemen - Ungor herd if I'm correct - the small ones. Only got 3 so far, sculpted some trousers (only on one, thats a lot of work ) and a pistol for one. Others have a bow and a club, included in the box . I really wanted the goatish legs, but reading the rules, those are kinda special mutation

I was looking at this actually, If you have any pics, I'd love to see them. I was trying to find a good way of having an Ungor wear a big raggedy long coat. I've never used green stuff, so not sure how easily it'd work.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 02:08:38 PM by gmanrocks »

Offline Mathyoo

• Scientist
    • My blog here!
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 02:25:40 PM »
Here's the link for photos:

http://mathyoo28mm.blogspot.com/2013/05/meet-kindred.html

I have to say I was a bit lazy and only removed one's horns. The grey one will be the patriarch. I wish I'd give them all some sort of pants, but my attention span isn't too long :P.

Working with greenstuff is easy if you lower your expectations and simply accept the fact you can't be too good with it on your first try. Just copy what you see on other miniatures :P. Weapons are a bit more tricky, but its plastic so it is easily modified. I find conversion work quite fun, so I can only suggest you try it yourself :P

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 03:34:11 PM »
I remember there was a company that made a French townsfolk set during Worold War II.  It had a man on a bicycle and a woman holding a baby.  Does anyone know which one I'm talking about.  I thought that one looked perfect for Cthulhu.

Offline Banderium

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 03:46:44 PM »
I remember there was a company that made a French townsfolk set during Worold War II.  It had a man on a bicycle and a woman holding a baby.  Does anyone know which one I'm talking about.  I thought that one looked perfect for Cthulhu.

WestWind
Link
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 03:49:50 PM by Banderium »