Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:53:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Preview of Jugula  (Read 18197 times)

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
Re: Preview of Jugula
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2014, 01:08:22 PM »
Well, interesting choice. ::) GB competing with Arena Rex in the 35mm figure market is definitely a bold decision.

I don't know how bold it is. Arena Rex holds no interest for me. Neither do these figures.

Rules are possibly of interest but then I already own about 6 or 8 sets of gladiator rules.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2014, 03:46:19 PM »
So long as the rules work with 28mm who cares about the size of the figures? When you consider that most gladiatorial games don't take more than a handful of figures, most of us probably already have way more than we need. My guess is that this range is aimed at the new player who hasn't made any purchases yet. They are much more likely to sell figs to the new players just starting out than those of us who already have near complete collections. It actually makes quite a bit of sense.

Offline Hobbyone

• Bookworm
    • http://hobbyonenews.blogspot.fr/
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2014, 12:25:25 PM »
Hello, I am Frederic Machu (hobbyone) from Studio Tomahawk.

I've followed your discussion, despite my low level of English (you will understand when you will reading me ;-) ), I wanted to give an opinion on this subject which concern me a little.

When we started the production phase Jugula, we all naturally shared with our Gripping Beast friends and partners about  range of figures that there would be linked.
The idea came to make greater than 28 mm figures, to provide a better sculpture, and also offer to make transformable figures.

Like you, at the time, I wasn't very convinced and did not seen the interest to make a different scale of what is being done already.
After discussion, argument for and argument against this idea was chosen by everyone.
But I was still not convinced that was a good idea. So I painted miniatures in 28mm from Crusadeur and Foundy, which I like, and built a Ludus, in order to illustrate the rule. For me I was ready to play in 28 mm.

Then the first photos, followed by the first drawings of figures arrived, and there my opinion completely changed.
What a pleasure to choose how to mount the first gladiator, what weapon, what head, what shield ?
For figurist is only happiness.

Then paint, which seemed more difficult since the scale is larger, was a real pleasure because the sculpture is clear and well pronounced. Anyway I wanted to paint one to see, I have six and am eager to get a new series for more mixing.

The first wave includes 4 gladiators out of 12 will be produced. But with these 4 you can make multiple combinations, "historical" or more hypothetical, everyone can find happiness.

The purpose of this scale figures like Jugula is primarily to treat ourselves and so we hope to make you happy ...
No positioning relative to another company and his products, but just another choice another vision.
Rules and figures of gladiators there were before and there will be after Jugula ...
Jugula is before all a "game" (not a simulation) with which you can play it with any scale and with anyone ... the main one being to have good time.

Thank you for having the patience to read me ...

Frédéric

Here is my gladiators some attention have been processed or retouched in relation to Figures basis.

Offline TheShadow

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2014, 12:34:09 PM »
Personally I prefer the larger sized stuff, think those gladiators look great, the larger scale makes the details a lot better, and as its only a sort of skirmish type game why not make larger minis that you can spend more time and effort painting ? You see it far too much especially on places like this of people complaining about scale and sizes, often just posting to say I don't like them or not for me ! In that case why bother posting at all ? If you don't like them, don't turn a thread about some new very nice looking figures into 2-3 pages is scalewhinge !
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"
"The weed of crime bears bitter fruit. Crime does not pay.... The Shadow knows!"

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2014, 02:15:34 PM »
I saw some at Griping beast last week and, I have to admit, they do look nice.  :o
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline smokezombie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2014, 03:17:14 PM »
 Frederic Machu.... Good point eloquently made. I wish you luck with your project.

Sadly I'm in the 28mm camp. I have about 30 already but would have been tempted to splash out on more if they were well made. Your minis look great...just too big for me.
"The sword sung on the barren heath,
The sickle in the fruitful field;
The sword he sung a song of death,
But could not make the sickle yield."
William Blake

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2014, 05:41:54 PM »
They look great Frédéric.  :D

Part of the appeal to me is the ability to customise the figures from the start. Gladiator combat is also one of those eras where larger scale figures work ideally.

I have 28mm gladiators but I'll be adding some of these to my collection too. They'll make a great spectacle.  ;)
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2014, 10:13:33 PM »
They are without doubt beautiful figures Frederic and I'l probably buy them because I'm a real Gladiator fan.

Nice sculpting ( and some great painting too!) and the interchangeable weapons and so will indeed be fun.
However the somewhat fantasy approach turns me off a bit. I really don't mind altering/converting a figure slightly to have it correspond with- what I think- is historically correct, but having to remove all the ocrea from the Retiarii and Laquearii and some from the Myrmillo and Secutors is a bit much.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2014, 09:07:37 AM »
As I said, I'm a huge fan of your painter, simply beautiful work.  My only disappointment is that I've collected and scaled at 28mm already so for me, it's a double investment.  That said, I wish you tons of luck.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline alrith72

• Librarian
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2014, 09:34:27 PM »
Played the Demo at Salute today, bought the rules and 2 card decks. Will be using my existing 28mm gladiators with them. Looks like a good fun game  :)

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
    • EndTransmission's random gaming things
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2014, 09:45:49 PM »
I played the demo this afternoon too and walked away with enough models and cards for two of us to play. Great game and the larger figures work very nicely in their multi-part format. Now I just need to decide on what I want in each of my starting schools!

Offline discok3

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2014, 10:15:16 PM »
Played a cracking demo,plumped for rules,Gladiator starter with all 4 first releases,cards and transfers...my friend bought the waxed arena.Looking forward to playing a full game soon...I got the impression it was an easy to learn,hard to master sort of game but will see over the next few weeks
Good moaning

Offline MikeH

• Bookworm
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2014, 12:59:18 PM »
glad to hear you guys enjoyed the demo game at salute, I had a blast running them alongside Alex

I think I got through over 12 games during the day, so was almost unable to speak at the end of it

Offline Hobbyone

• Bookworm
    • http://hobbyonenews.blogspot.fr/
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2014, 01:38:52 PM »
Thank you to all beings came to test jugular ... we hope that you have enjoyed. A big thank you to Mike for his dedication, even if sometimes you do not was at your place! ;-)
Fred

Offline MikeH

• Bookworm
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2014, 02:36:18 PM »
Thank you to all beings came to test jugular ... we hope that you have enjoyed. A big thank you to Mike for his dedication, even if sometimes you do not was at your place! ;-)
Fred

oh that's harsh Fred and I thought we were friends ;D