Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:35:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Preview of Jugula  (Read 18196 times)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Re: Preview of Jugula
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2014, 08:48:11 AM »
The minis look great, but as I understand, are not really necessary to the game.  The thing that confuses me about Jugula, is that it seems confused itself.  Is it a deck builder like Thunderstone and Dominion in basic structure, or it's like BOtS, and it needs them for placement, etc.  but which  is it? I can see a huge mainstream appeal for Jugula beyond just this audience.  I wonder if GB should also try to push this game to a more mainstream market as well a ours.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2014, 10:39:55 AM »
It seems my previous summary was not so clear…   :'(

You need miniatures because it’s not only a card game. There’s confusion because this is a crossover between to systems. So, boardgamers think it’s a miniatures game and wargamers think it’s a deck building game. It’s simply a mixture of 2 worlds.

So, you need miniatures because you have to move your gladiators and optimize your tactical situation and because positionning is very important.

Not only cards provide bonuses or penalties to resolve fights (some special traits and positions influence bonuses and penalties). And Cards allow different choices including movements and fights.

Making it clear, this game has nothing to do with BotS as it’s not a simulation game as BotS is.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 12:13:17 PM by Eithriall »
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”Robert E. Howard, The Tower of The Elephant, 1933

Offline Kamandi

• Librarian
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2014, 07:15:35 AM »
I'm hoping to play this game this week at my local club. From reading the descriptions it sounds like a deck building game with a board. I'm not sure marketing it too the minis hobby is their best play. If this were my game I would position it as a boxed board game.
"Something had happened in the dim past...! A natural disaster coupled with Radiation! The people in the bunkers lived out their lives and died dreaming of a day of return---The radiation would be gone---and the world would be left waiting---"

Offline roninrmz

• Assistant
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2014, 10:31:55 PM »
I have and have been playing this.  It is a bit of a mixed bag.  much more limited deck building than a normal dbg.  I would almost call it comand and colors gladiators.  I really am enjoying it.  I dont think it could stand on its own without minis and cards the way it is played.

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2014, 10:09:55 AM »
Hi folks,

For those interested in obtaining further information :

Here is the link to the Jugula english forum of Studio-Tomahawk : http://studiotomahawk.freeforums.org/the-jugula-ludus-f36.html

The french one : http://studio-tomahawk.forumgratuit.org/

And a small video with some english subtitles :

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2014, 11:25:18 AM »
Gripping Beast has annouced some new 35mm miniatures for Jugula :

Scissor and Provocator :

Sagittarius and Dimachaerius :

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2014, 11:29:18 AM »
I don't mind that scissore.

The others are a little eh.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2014, 04:20:12 PM »
They have done 2 optional equipment sets more or less historical to personalise the gladiators.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2014, 02:49:37 AM »
It looks like with some proper skill you could get some really decent combos - so I think it's great that they're fleshing out the lineup.  Particularly for new gamers who might be getting into Gladiator gaming.

If the minis can be assembled properly and historically then I can see a lot of people going that size even if they're not going to be playing Jugula itself.  I'd give it a look if I didn't have 30+ painted 28mm gladiators.

I'd like to see someone like Captain Blood get their hands on the sets and build/paint some proper fighters. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2014, 08:54:47 AM »
Don't know if it's just the paintjob, but given the larger scale of these models they look pretty bad. :( Not speaking of historical accuracy or the general 'mannequin' appearance, there's some seriously lazy sculpting with distorted or half-hearted detailing. Really appreciate GB's approach; however, that's a miss in my book.