Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:53:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Headhunting Pygmy Cannibals of the South Seas (the worse kind...)  (Read 3982 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Ever since watching the movie "The Mummy Returns," I felt I had to have a horde of pygmy headhunters to plague my players. Of course, the movie versions are zombie pygmies, but once I spotted these 15mm "Cave Imps" from Splintered Light Miniatures, I knew they'd fit the bill. Besides, ZOMBIE Pygmy Headhunting Cannibals of the South Seas is just too long of a name. Pygmy Headhunting Cannibals of the South Seas is fine, but sometimes that one extra word takes it over the top.

"Good God, man! Not Pygmy Headhunting Cannibals of the South Pacific...!" These are 15mm "Cave Imps" from Splintered Light Miniatures

Anyway, I painted up my first batch of these as an entry into the first Lead Painters League that I entered a year and a half or so ago. I had about a dozen of them left and knew I'd get around eventually to painting them up. They have wonderful character and manage to pull off looking menacing and comical at the same time. Some of that is due to the hilarious upright hair on them, ala Heat and Cold Miser's imps from "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" (my favorite Christmas special).

Tattoos, face paint, and decoration on the weapons makes these guys look like they belong in some undiscovered jungle valley...

They stand about half the height of an average 28mm figure. There is great sculpting of muscles, hair, and weapons on them that allows for easy dry brushing. I started with a base coat of dark brown. I dry brushed them Iron Wind "Asian" flesh, and added a final highlight of "Warrior Flesh." To give them that extra twist, I painted individual tattoos on all of them. For the eyes, I just went with all black. I even decorated the weapons with colored stripes or dots or whatever.

For all that detail, they paint up quickly. I think that is probably because of the lack of equipment...er, I mean weapons and such. Even clothes. But now that I mention it, I *am* kind of glad they don't have...well, a normal naked man's "equipment"! They look more exotic -- and less like simply short humans -- this way.

Woe betide the Pulp adventurer who chuckles when he sees a horde of these emerge from the underbrush...

My players in my Pulp games should encounter these little menaces shortly, so it'll be fun to get them out on the tabletop...!

Mike Demana

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
Re: Headhunting Pygmy Cannibals of the South Seas (the worse kind...)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 03:58:59 PM »
They look very cool!
Great mini sourcing on your part as well!
 :-*

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 07:26:42 PM »
Never laugh at the little people...especially when they are head hunters!  Nice work.   :)
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 08:22:40 PM »
Those are great, Mike! Looks like great fun!  lol

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 03:38:33 AM »
Terrific idea, and a good PJ!

Thanks for sharing.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 07:10:01 AM »
“To a pygmy cannibal, would an Olympic sprinter be considered fast food?”

Seriously, very nice work.  :-*