Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:54:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690843
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Armies of Granbretan (Update 13 Jan 2015)  (Read 37222 times)

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
The Armies of Granbretan (Update 13 Jan 2015)
« on: November 26, 2013, 05:40:02 AM »
Greetings folks,

If you are an admirer of the great Michael Moorcock you may have heard in the past few years that Eureka have been planning to produce the armies from Moorcock's famous Hawkmoon series of books. Well the plan stalled a bit for various reasons but is now back on track.

I've been asked to sculpt the figures for the troops of Granbretan (the bad guys in the stories) and the first one's are these little chaps below: The Vulture Legion or Order of the Vulture.

These are the first few of many. They look a bit different to some others that were made a few years back but that's because I've taken a bit of a different tack. I'm looking at the overall design in a twisted Renaissance/Baroque kind of way. Hence a touch of the Landsknecht in their dress - I figured Vulture Legion are mercenaries so I'll add a bit of historical mercenary charm to them.

There are more to come as the armies of Granbretan have many different orders all based on various creatures. So expect to see Wolves, Badgers, Bulls, Pigs, Moles, Ravens, Hounds, Boars, Crows, Flies, Mantis's, etc

This first one is based on one of the first figures made for the set by Dave King but there are some major differences.

More details about the project at my blog: http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:23:58 AM by Melnibonean »
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: The Armies of Granbretan
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 06:13:59 AM »
Thanks for sharing. They look great.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Torben

• Scientist
  • Scatterbrained Wargamer!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 09:30:31 AM »
Those are looking really great - thanks for sharing!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 09:48:01 AM »
Wow, these are brill  :-* 8) :-* 8)

Looking forward to seeing these progress and get released  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline axiom

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Magpie and old lead
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 09:48:33 AM »
Looking good so far - I've been waiting for this range to appear for far too long! My favourites are the scythe and pike figures. I feel the the flame lance would benefit from a little rethinking, particularly at the tip of the lance (I'd like to see some sort of nozzle where the flame shoots out from).

The Renaissance / baroque look is perfect - really fits the bill. Looking forward to seeing more!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 09:49:11 AM »
Ooooh!
I like these.
 :-*

The Armies of Granbretan are something that has been missing from the gaming world for too long.
I had hoped that Citadel would expand that way in the '80's but it didnt happen.
Looks like that will be corrected soon.
 8)

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 10:48:38 AM »
Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm going to be dedicating all of my sculpting time to this project as it's long overdue and there is a lot of work to be done.

I feel the the flame lance would benefit from a little rethinking, particularly at the tip of the lance (I'd like to see some sort of nozzle where the flame shoots out from).

Reworking of the tip has happened since this pic was taken. At this stage it will still be a crystal but a bit longer and somewhat thinner.

Offline Vinlander

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 12:02:04 PM »
I'm really not sure about the scythe thing on the first one. but other than that they look fine.

Yay Granbretan!!  :D

When will we see count Brass and the lads?
"English is the result of the efforts of Norman men-at-arms to make
dates with Saxon barmaids, and is no more legitimate than any of the
other results." -- H. Beam Piper

Offline Fates Fickle Finger

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 12:36:53 PM »
I have been waiting for this for a long time!!! Posted lots on TMP after the first anouncement...good to see an update!
I really like what I see so far, although I agree the flame lance needs a defined "nozzle" although could be argued the crystal emits the heat/flame. Any Idea of separate heads/ beast helms? That would be a dream come true!  
Cant believe that Moorcock's worlds have been neglected in this golden age of miniatures!! Now of to look at some flamingo toys/figures  ;) !!!!!
The Baroque style is perfect!!!!
FFF
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:39:30 PM by Fates Fickle Finger »

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 01:21:43 PM »
These are great! Hurry up!  :D

edit...

But...

1) I hope that pikeman is not going to be cast with his pike!

2) In my experience (with the Empire of the Petal Throne range) that customers much prefer the pikes to be a 60-degrees or vertical b/c they work better on the tabletop.

3) Also, I hope you will do at least one, but preferably two other pike poses, with vertical (or close to it) pikes. In the "old days" it was OK to build a phalanx with one pose, but not nowadays (IMO, anyway.)

Best Regards,

Howard Fielding
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 01:43:27 PM by Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye »

Offline northtroll

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 03:04:52 PM »
Wow, those are awesome! Even if you don't play Hawkmoon type games (Perish the thought!), they would look awesome in any fantasy battle! I really like the two handed swordsman. Big sword, vulture helmet, aggressive pose, what else do I need to say? Bravo!

Offline Justizius

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 04:11:12 PM »
They look great, they really fit perfect!  :o
Hope to see more of them in the future.

Offline Vauln

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 09:11:05 PM »
Good job so far, I just re-read the Hawkmoon collection, one of the Moorcock stories that stands the test of time a little better than some. I am looking forward to see the rest.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 10:11:04 PM »
Any Idea of separate heads/ beast helms? That would be a dream come true!  

No separate heads but each order will be represented with their own masks and distinctive armour.

1) I hope that pikeman is not going to be cast with his pike!

2) In my experience (with the Empire of the Petal Throne range) that customers much prefer the pikes to be a 60-degrees or vertical b/c they work better on the tabletop.

3) Also, I hope you will do at least one, but preferably two other pike poses, with vertical (or close to it) pikes. In the "old days" it was OK to build a phalanx with one pose, but not nowadays (IMO, anyway.)

These are just the first few. There will be a variety of pike poses and they will be cast without the pikes. There will also be variations in the pikes themselves too.

I'm currently working on a commander and I've already made a standard bearer (but I forgot to photograph him before sending him for casting).

Cheers again folks and thanks for all the positive feedback. This is a project I've also been waiting many years to see come to light and I'm just really very happy to be the one doing it.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 10:13:28 PM »
BTW: This is a range of fantasy figures that will be sold at the price of historical's. So it it will be possible to build large armies at a very affordable price.  ;)