Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:56:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rank and File Rules for Three (or Four) Musketeer games?  (Read 1464 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Rank and File Rules for Three (or Four) Musketeer games?
« on: November 28, 2013, 02:17:45 AM »
Okay, so I know the rules are targeted at Large force games.  But that doesn't mean they cannot adapt to smaller scales.  I'm thinking in terms of using them and having Each Stand get a die for morale rather than each unit, and upping the die for the hero stands.  (So, I'm a little odd, but I'm basing mine at three figures to a base - even the Heroic musketeers and the Villainous Cardinal's Guard - but only one hero to a stand).

Am I completely bonkers with this thought or has anyone else jumped into the deep end of this sort of quagmire?

Also, welcome general thoughts about the rules themselves.  My investigations leave me to believe they are just my cup of tea.

Thanks.

FifteensAway casting off

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Rank and File Rules for Three (or Four) Musketeer games?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 07:42:06 AM »
I have RF, crusader rules and their Ancients rules. They are a nice set, A little like warmaster. RF has a touch of General De Brigade and Shako elemnets to it all of which I like a lot.

I have their fantasy rules however the points system makes my head spin ;D

I dont think I would ever consider them for what is to be honest a skirmish game. There are lots of skirmish rules out there many who have featured on this illustrious forum which would spring to mind. I think if you have a hankering for this may be worth looking at HOTT hordes of the things whihc gives a similar vanilla approach to stands but allows the imagination to roam for figures

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 08:12:21 AM »
Lowtardog,

Thanks for the reply.  My goal is one simple set of rules across all spectrums I game.  I'm not sure I'd call my version of the Three Musketeers a one-to-one skirmish game; I'm not particularly fond of that style of gaming (especially the overly detailed ones where to play a minute of "real time" can take an hour or more in game time!).  Though I might have to content myself with something different for this period.  Perhaps I can meld And One For All somehow on to Rank and File and come up with something.  Might just need a big enough shoehorn.

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 08:08:48 PM »
The card game "Engarde" from Slugfest games works extremely well for tabletop swordfighting. An ordinary card deck can supplement it to add minions to the game.