Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:26:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690899
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Black Friday Sales!  (Read 6254 times)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Black Friday Sales!
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2013, 01:49:18 PM »
It's a sorry reminder of how uncivilised we still are when people are injured and killed in a mad rush to purchase cheap material possessions. Black Friday can stay in America as far as I'm concerned, but given that our local Asda sold out of its "Black Friday" sale items in less than an hour means that it's now a thing. People are aware and will want it every year. Damnit.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2013, 03:14:30 PM »
Evening news American highlights: 
One cop injured, one shoplifter shot by a cop, and a shopper shot by a thief. Lots of pushing, shoving, and fighting. Black Friday remains a horrible event.
I stayed home today, took my dog for a walk, and painted five pieces of terrain.  :)

I did the first two and photographed figures I want to sell.

I did buy several hobby items via the internet that were on discount that I was going to buy at full price in January.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2013, 03:20:39 PM »
Well said Plynkes.
Annoying shits, crassly attempting to impose their blatant commercial calendarisation on the rest of us... Well I for one do not recognise 'black friday' nor will i have anything to do with it. No, not even if it saves me money. I'd rather die in a dirty ditch than slavishly follow the diktats of the retail sector. So there.
God that felt good.
 ;)

Very righteous of you.   ;)

No one is forcing you to buy anything.   ::)

You can unsubscribe from the e-mails or at least file your complaint/viewpoint where it might have an honest to God impact (the retailer.)  

In the mean time the homogenization of cultures continues.  As much I wish it would cease/be exported to some other country it seems the sheeple want this kind of environment.  So it will continue in our post Christian world...  

And yes, I get the e-mails too.  I just delete them.  Works wonderfully!  I visualize explosions when I delete them!   :o   :-*   lol   ;)

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 03:23:59 PM by Conquistador »

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2013, 03:23:04 PM »
<snip>Black Friday can stay in America as far as I'm concerned, <snip>

What if I sell Black friday to you at a steep discount?   ;)   lol  Under the conditions of "No Returns" of course?   lol

Yes, it is amazing and saddening to watch the chaos...

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2013, 03:27:52 PM »
The term Black Friday originally comes from the finacial markets here in the US. It is when (because of the rush of sales at the begining of the Christmas shopping season) that brick & morter retailers are supposed to finally be in the black for the year.

My friends in retail say that is not true for some parts of the industry but, more importantly, a weak/badly run company that has a bad "Holiday season sales" report can expect to be smaller (or even non-existent) by July of the next year.  Many companies do a large part of their "annual profit" during the "holidays" and it keeps them capable of functioning without fear of slow periods during the rest of the year.  Since I never worked retail myself I am not sure how realistic an assessment that is.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 02:04:14 AM »
Fourth quarter sales are roughly 33% of the business for the year, with summer holidays, Fourth of July to Labor Day, a bit less tho rapidly gaining percentage-wise. Big $$ to lose or gain in holiday retail business.