Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:47:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689742
  • Total Topics: 118292
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tanksgiving Marathon!  (Read 5567 times)

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
Re: Tanksgiving Marathon!
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2013, 01:51:10 PM »
I've got some of those "not-M1's" but I've also got a big problem - getting spray paint to stick to them. I've tried Vallejo Primer; Tamiya White and one of those cheap Chinese store sprays, but even after a week of drying the paint flakes off.

I've cleaned the tanks several times - warm water and soap; lightly sanded it...but the paint simply doesn't stay put. I'm thinking about using Krylon spray paint to see if that sticks!

What did you do?  ;D

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 02:03:30 PM »
I've got some of those "not-M1's" but I've also got a big problem - getting spray paint to stick to them. I've tried Vallejo Primer; Tamiya White and one of those cheap Chinese store sprays, but even after a week of drying the paint flakes off.

I've cleaned the tanks several times - warm water and soap; lightly sanded it...but the paint simply doesn't stay put. I'm thinking about using Krylon spray paint to see if that sticks!

What did you do?  ;D

I used Krylon Ultra-Flat Camouflage with the "Fusion for Plastic paint technology". :)  Seems to have worked just fine.  In fact I had to scrape some paint away from the turret where it goes into the body because the turret wouldn't turn.  It wasn't hard to scrape it off but it seems to have bonded as well as to any surface.  They seem to be made of similar plastic to the tanks I finished last week and I didn't have any problems with them either. 

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2013, 04:53:39 PM »
I used Krylon Ultra-Flat Camouflage with the "Fusion for Plastic paint technology". :)  Seems to have worked just fine.  In fact I had to scrape some paint away from the turret where it goes into the body because the turret wouldn't turn.  It wasn't hard to scrape it off but it seems to have bonded as well as to any surface.  They seem to be made of similar plastic to the tanks I finished last week and I didn't have any problems with them either. 

Thanks for the tip, time to break out my Krylon paints then. I guess I'll prime them with the sprays, then give them a coat of varnish before doing the rest.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2013, 09:47:20 AM »

I've been trying to finish up a few more tanks for my Tanksgiving marathon so I spent the last two days trying to build up several of my half finished projects.
My wife built the grey APC from the body of a cheap "Army Man" Patton tank.  We are going to be using it for the Wolfhounds.
The green 6x6 is from Secret Weapons Games and it is the only "kit" model I have done for this project.  It also cost about what the rest of the tanks in the project cost combined but it is a very nice model.  If I had the budget I'd buy at least a squadron.  I may pick up some more in the future.
The two smaller hover tanks in the front are based of a Matchbox toy.  These "Douglas" Medium Hover tankshttp://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/2013/07/hell-knights-medium-hover-tank-finished.html are for my Hell Knights.  I already have one of these completed so this will bring me up to a full squadron.
The large hover missile launcher is a variation of my Landshark AFVhttp://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/2013/03/hell-knights-large-hover-afv-and-drone.html called the "Hammerhead".  It is also for my Hell Knights.   It is built from a toy LAV-25 which came in a set from Dollar General and included the missile launcher as a tow behind weapon.  I simply converted it into a missile turret.
Hopefully I will get these painted by tomorrow night.

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2013, 12:25:06 PM »
So much delicious armour! I was hoping against hope that the 6x6 was a pound/dollar store toy because it's gorgeous and I'm poor! My tank building plans hit a wall last weekend when I lost all of Sunday to a superheavy hangover and got nothing done  >:(

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2013, 02:20:21 PM »
The tanks are great, but the APC is even better - could we get a better "recipe" on how to do it? I've got several of those Patton tanks... I can only identify some parts of zip ties as headlights  ;D

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2013, 02:46:35 PM »
The tanks are great, but the APC is even better - could we get a better "recipe" on how to do it? I've got several of those Patton tanks... I can only identify some parts of zip ties as headlights  ;D

Unfortunately we were dumb and didn't take any WIPs of that one.  She is going to make some more soon for that army though so I'll be sure and post them either here or on my blog. 

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2013, 05:14:47 PM »
Unfortunately we were dumb and didn't take any WIPs of that one.  She is going to make some more soon for that army though so I'll be sure and post them either here or on my blog. 

Ok, I'll keep an eye out on your blog ;)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2013, 08:13:47 PM »
Be great to get an up to date picture of the hell knights with all their new vehicles.  :)
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline mattblackgod

• Mad Scientist
  • Post Apocalyptic Nut Job
    • Post Apoc Wargames Forum
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2013, 08:41:21 PM »
Great bunch of armor.  :-*
Mattblackgod's world - Games and minis blog.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2013, 09:24:20 PM »
Be great to get an up to date picture of the hell knights with all their new vehicles.  :)

I'm hoping to do some new Hell Knights pics for the No Limits army book I am making for them.  So soon. :)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2013, 04:32:15 AM »
I'm hoping to do some new Hell Knights pics for the No Limits army book I am making for them.  So soon. :)

wunderbar!  :D

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2013, 07:46:25 AM »

Things didn't work out today and this is all I got done.  Needless to say I was hoping to finish more than this.  Between things popping up and other distractions I just didn't get much time at the paint table.  I'm kind of down about not getting at least a couple more tanks finished but I'm going to try and wrap these up throughout the rest of the week. 

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2013, 06:06:56 PM »

Well I went a little over my deadline wrapping this up but I'm okay with that.  I managed to get 9 tanks and armored vehicles finished in one month for my Tanksgiving project and since I didn't start till the end of the first week of November and I just finished these at the end of the first week of December I'm still pretty happy with my progress.
I finished four vehicles for my Hell Knights Mercenaries bringing their vehicle total up to 13.  Three of the tanks are for my Wolfhound Friekorps which is my next big army project.  Two of them I just painted up as generic mercenary tanks for general use.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2013, 08:44:18 PM »
The camo has come up nicely. Well done.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen