Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:03:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Black cotton tufts?  (Read 3462 times)

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
Re: Black cotton tufts?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 10:40:19 AM »
I used kapok from on our dogs toys after he burst it. Much cheapness and no sick dog!

Grey in colour already, it works well as is for puff of gun smoke. Stuck to a base and tooted with a shot of black spray paint it works ok for, well, black smoke!

Flames of War used to do a multi coloured pack of smoke and flame which I am sure was made up of the same stuff. There was black orange and grey in it. But don't know how if was made as it was too expensive at the end of the day!

A tuft of steel wool might look better though as it takes the paint better and you can brush on yellow,red etc. the columns of black smoke and explosions seen in some pics on here and in the mags are made from Clump Foliage on wire frames painted to look like a burst.

For our 1/3000 naval games we use teased cotton bud tips dipped in PVA... I just thought...something similar might look good for large calibre MG/AA rounds in 28mm ???

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 02:47:24 PM »
Have you had a look in the kids section of a hobby shop (Hobbycraft in the UK)?

They often have black pompoms made out of cotton wool that can be teased out to give flame/smoke shapes.

I thought Gale Force 9 made some smoke / flames for Battlefront Flames of War but they went plastic (and I prefer the Likto versions) but I did find these on the main US site http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=117&ProductID=2863

I expect the bags to be different in mix though  :D

Offline bbtoys333

• Assistant
    • bbtoyshobbies
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 08:38:37 PM »

Kapok is an organic fiber and seems to me a bit less realistic for making smoke than polyester batting.

The polyester fiber using for batting is variously called Polyfil/Polyfill/Fiberfil in the U.S. at least (this may help you google it).  I was lucky enough to lay hands on several quite large bags of the dark brown variety some years ago.  Since the material is  a dark burnt umber  to start out with it's much easier to spray it black (for smoke markers) than with the white fiber.
hello all... my hobby blog (below) has been dormant for a while but I hope to post to it again soon.

http://bbtoyshobbies.blogspot.com/