Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 06:31:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691606
  • Total Topics: 118408
  • Online Today: 609
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: LotR releases for Desolation of Smaug  (Read 27324 times)

Offline leegwonfu

• Librarian
Re: LotR releases for Desolation of Smaug
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 03:52:22 PM »
Color me disappointed, as well. I am not impressed with any of the figures. I loved the dwarves from the first movie's releases (and actually bought all of the non-resin ones), but I really don't care for the looks of any of these new figures.

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 05:20:49 PM »
I really like Thrain! The rest are a little underwhelming. The dwarves in barrels are cute at least.

I agree with whoever mentioned GW paying minimum attention to the franchise. It smacks of ashcan product to barely keep the range afloat, and out of other peoples' hands.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2013, 06:36:13 PM »
This will be my lowest spend ever on new LOTR / Hobbit stuff.

I expect I may spend less than you on the basis of what I've seen.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Dr. Kevin Moon III esq.

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2013, 06:41:19 PM »
I really like the dwarves in barrels, no idea what I'd use them for though!

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2013, 07:12:33 PM »
I assume Beorn as bear, Smaug and the spiders are all embargoed until the movie actually comes out.
All of the models so far shown are shown in some form in the trailers.
I'd expect at least one more rlease of models between now and Christmas.
The Balrog, Gollum and mumaks (?) were all embargoed when the LotR movies came out.

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 08:17:38 AM »
Heard an interesting theory that the lack of starter is due to New Line splitting the 2 movies into 3 and GW not having enough lead time. No idea if true, but certainly explains the lack of releases for the 2nd movie. Although, the crap sales of the first Hobbit figures probably also fully xplains it, but I found it an interesting theory nontheless.

Pretty stoked for those rangers, they're everythign the first Wood Elf Warrior set should have been. Not keen on the price, but at least it's not $50 for 10 elves like the Dark Elf and High Elf Warhammer releases, so...progress? Not keen on the palace guard and the new legolas is a great sculpt except the face. But once somebody said he looked like Vladimir Putin that's all I see now.

The dwarves in barrels held no interest for me at all and seem to be pretty strange figures to release, but I just had a thought that they'd make for an AWESOME convention game.
~Kalamadea
(aka Ember)
My Image Gallery

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 08:38:42 AM »
I may have considered some of the character models but £15 for a single model is just way to much.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2013, 08:56:33 AM »
I assume Beorn as bear, Smaug and the spiders are all embargoed until the movie actually comes out.
All of the models so far shown are shown in some form in the trailers.
I'd expect at least one more rlease of models between now and Christmas.
The Balrog, Gollum and mumaks (?) were all embargoed when the LotR movies came out.

There is a Beorn miniature on the GW site.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2013, 09:17:36 AM »
I surprise myself by saying this but....I like some of those.

I say surprised as I could not stand the first film or pretty much anything in it.
(I only liked the snippets of Mirkwood/Dol Guldur).

The Mirkwood Rangers are pretty good and I think that I shall take a second look.
They may work for me (.....I really cannot believe I am saying this!).

The spiders are very nice and I can also see a few people having fun using those potted Dwarves in a nice diorama.

I shall NOT be paying their prices, though.
I shall be waiting for all those kids out there who will soon tire of their christmas presents and sell them on ebay... ;)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2013, 11:22:51 AM »
I shall NOT be paying their prices, though.
I shall be waiting for all those kids out there who will soon tire of their christmas presents and sell them on ebay... Wink

I'm afraid I won't even do that anymore.  GW has priced me out of their franchise.  I bought into this with LOTR, but avoided The Hobbit when I saw the outrageous prices........  :'(
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2013, 12:08:36 PM »
There is a Beorn miniature on the GW site.

But not as a bear. That's the difference.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Timotl

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2013, 08:07:27 PM »
The lack of a box set is likely due to the fact that the first one didn't sell! Why spend money to produce another one when you still have loads of the "limited edition" boxes left?

I think GW has given up on this line. I can't say I blame them, and it isn't entirely their fault since the look of the movie is SOOOO bad. This go around lacks the charm of the first movies. Kinda like Start Wars episodes 1-3...everything is overdesigned and just looks, well, stupid.

My biggest dissapointment with the release is that the spiders are finecast. Would've had a million uses for plastic spiders and would've bought a ton, but I won't touch finecast. Pity...

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2013, 08:15:04 PM »
Strangely, some of this stuff is just being referred to as "resin". What's that all about? Are GW aware of the hatred even for the word "Finecast"?

I have to say I have found Peter Jackson's depictions of Middle Earth in the Hobbit films so far have really not done it for me one bit. From the goofy Dwarfs to the pink-ghoulish Goblins or the just plain weird Men of Dale... bleh!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2013, 08:46:39 PM »
My biggest dissapointment with the release is that the spiders are finecast. Would've had a million uses for plastic spiders and would've bought a ton, but I won't touch finecast. Pity...

Damn!
I missed that bit.
Scratch them off of my list then...which is a shame.

I have to say I have found Peter Jackson's depictions of Middle Earth in the Hobbit films so far have really not done it for me one bit. From the goofy Dwarfs to the pink-ghoulish Goblins or the just plain weird Men of Dale... bleh!

Gotta say I agree with this almost 100%.
Only almost as I have not really seen any of the Dale folk properly yet.

Offline Wilkins

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2013, 09:21:38 PM »
The Hobbit is one of my favourite books but I'm struggling to recognize it on the big screen. And if these miniatures are what I can expect from the next installment I may just give it a miss completely. Especially as I am not a fan of how they're pronouncing Smaug