Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 06:27:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691284
  • Total Topics: 118383
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ronin Combat pool in multi fig scrums  (Read 1287 times)

Offline wkeyser

• Scientist
Ronin Combat pool in multi fig scrums
« on: December 02, 2013, 12:11:42 PM »
A question occurred to my while I was reading a few AAR about combat.

Now we always end up with a bunch of Figs fighting a bunch of enemy Figs. The way we do this is that all the figures in a continuous line i.e. all figs contacting enemy and figs from their own side, will fight. So as long as a figure is touching an enemy he will fight.

Next we determine all the CPs pools for each figure separately (more on that later).

Then we reveal all the CPs, here we use a card, with each figs weapons, abilities etc on it along with a photo of the figure, this way all the clutter stays on the cards at the edge of the table.

Then we have the player without priority pick one fig and if he wants to use an Attack CP to enhance the Initiative roll he does that, it then goes back and forth until all the figures have declared to either enhance initiative or not.

Now we roll a D6 (or two for those that enhanced the initiative roll) and add all the mods. Then we determine the initiative order from the highest to the lowest.

Then the fig with highest initiative decides what he wants to do.

So lets say we have 4 good guys and 5 bad guys. The initiative number runs like this form highest down. 1GG, 1BG, 1BG, 1GG, 1BG,1BG, 1GG, 1BG finally 1GG.

First good guy attacks, then one bad guy then good guy then bad guy, this continues until all have either attacked or passed. Now we start again on the 1Good Guy as he still has Attack CPs this round robin continues until all the figures have used all their Attack CP or have passed.

Is this the way others are playing?

As to the CP pool in multifigure combat, the rules seem to be a bit vague if I recall in one section it says that all the CPs go into one pool but only Defense CPs can be shared. So the way I read this is that all the figures put Attack and Defend CPs into one pool, then as each figure uses a CP it is placed next to the figure so he does not use more CPs then he has available. Not sure if this is what was intended.

We don’t play like this. Each fig has his own combat pool! A figure can give a Defend CP to a friendly figure that is touching him. This makes more sense to me as the idea of the CPs seem to be that the player is kind of picking what he wants to do before combat begins. If the first method is used and there are lots of figures in the combat you really can pick any combination that you want during combat!

William
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:26:23 PM by wkeyser »

Offline tim in saskatoon

• Mad Scientist
    • Tim's Miniature Wargaming Blog
Re: Ronin Combat pool in multi fig scrums
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 02:41:31 PM »
That's not how I've been playing. On page 14, the second last paragraph under "Combat Phase":

"Sometimes more than one model from each side will become involved in a single combat. IN this case th models should be separated into a logical number of separate combats, depending on the sequence in which they joined the combat and which models are in base-to-base contact with which. Common sense needs to be applied in this situations, and the golden rules is that one ONE side will ever have multiple combatants in any give combat."

Hope that helps?

Offline wkeyser

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 08:22:57 PM »
Yes I did notice that but the way we do it adds much more flavor to the game we think. As when you have to split up those large multiple combats into smaller ones we feel that you lose so much of the brawl effect of the way we do it!

Guess we will keep doing it our way we have more fun that way, we have tried the other way and it left us a little disapointed.
William

Offline tim in saskatoon

• Mad Scientist
    • Tim's Miniature Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 08:41:03 PM »
Oh, for sure! If your way is more fun - carry on as you were! I am no stranger to tweaking rules to suit your own needs or interests. I misinterpreted your post. I thought perhaps you had just missed that bit.

Offline wkeyser

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 08:44:59 PM »
Hi Tim
Thanks, I am one of those guys who will play the rules to try them, then always tweek them this is one of those cases.

But the multiple combat thing in the rules just did not make sense to me at least. The great system for the CP and sharing Defend CPs really makes the big scrum much more intresting then breaking it down into smaller combats.

I was just intrested in seeing how others are usng the rules.

William