Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:18:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690807
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Oddział Ósmy's 15mm sci-fi reviews - AP Team  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
Oddział Ósmy's 15mm sci-fi reviews - AP Team
« on: December 01, 2013, 11:18:06 PM »
Today I published my first review of 15mm sci-fi minis by Oddział Ósmy on my new blog. The first set is the AP Team, 6 special minis representing people involved in making of the PMC 2640 game (including me, which was a nice surprise).

You can read the full review here: http://warsawwargames.blogspot.com/2013/12/oddzia-osmy-ap-team.html

Next in line are various earlier sets of New Vistula Legion near future/sci-fi infantry (I've already reviewed them in Polish, so it's a matter of translation). And then... I don't know, they've got an interesting insurgent line, but lately O8 released zombies and cybernetic mutants made by a new sculptor, so who knows what I'll buy first...  ???

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: Oddział Ósmy's 15mm sci-fi reviews - AP Team
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 05:29:02 PM »
Ah I was looking at those yesterday and wondering if I was missing some pop-culture reference in the eclectic mix of characters. This explains it then.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Jeff_W

• Student
    • 15mm Strife
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 03:53:57 PM »
Yeah, they're really nice sculpts.  A tremendous amount of detail packed into each mini.

I had several packs of the new vistula legion I parted with, in part because of some things you touched on in your review.  The metal is extremely hard, like you said, you can't clean it up with a knife.  I had to use my side cutters just to clip the vent lines off the bases in many cases.  In addition, the metal seems brittle.  I had three pieces that arrived broken off at the ankles, where in other minis, they would have simply bent.

The scale put me off a bit; they (the new vistua legion, at least) are even a little smaller to my eye than newer GZG sculpts.  That said, they probably scale very nicely with Peter Pig's line.

Jeff

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 04:20:09 PM »
Cutting the vent lines with a wire cutter? I simply break them off with my fingers...
Though I hate filing these minis, that's the main reason I haven't finished my NVL army yet.

The metal is brittle, but I always thought it's an issue with really thin parts. Never had any issues with their 15mm minis, no broken legs or guns. This probable happens due to bad packaging... Where did you order them from?

Offline Jeff_W

• Student
    • 15mm Strife
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 04:45:10 PM »
Yeah, I snipped them off with a wire cutter.  I base on washers, so unless the bottom of the base is pretty flush I don't get a good contact joint.  I'd rather use snips to get the cut as close as possible and do less filing.

My packs came from Pico Armor here in the states, not long after they were first available over here.  I have no doubt that Pico Armor would have replaced the broken ones, but since I realized the minis weren't really my thing, I passed them along to a friend who would like them.  No harm, no foul. 

And yeah, it's the metal they use.  I have minis from manufacturers with parts just as thin (Micropanzer's Raivuu) as an example.  They're more likely just to bend- they'll fail if you keep bending them, but there's no flex at all in the O8 metal. 

I'm not intending to be condeming, either, they just didn't fit my needs.  I know lots of folks really like them.  :)