Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:44:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Blood Bowl diversion  (Read 2704 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
A Blood Bowl diversion
« on: December 03, 2013, 05:48:55 PM »
As a fairly thorough break from the pulp & RCW gaming I've been doing the last few years, I've finally gotten into Blood Bowl, which has been one of the staples around our gaming club for years but one I've not gotten into until now.

Although it's a GW rules set, one of the things that amuses me about BB is discovering that you can pretty much get into it without giving the Evil Empire a cent. They have the rules PDF available for free download, and there's a number of companies out there doing very nice fantasy football figures. I'll be building my own pitch (field) and some of the other accessories needed, like dugouts and scoreboards.

I bought a pair of teams from Impact Miniatures a while ago, and have broken my long painting drought (last time I touched a paintbrush was mid-May this year...) with Impact's Sarcos crocodile team - Lizardmen, in BB terms. They're resin figures, really nice sculpts and very well cast. Because they're resin, $35 gets you 17 of them, more than enough for a BB team and giving you enough figures to have a number of team building options initially.

Here's a team WiP portrait; the big Leviathan croc (Kroxigor, in BB terms) is the closest to finished and the remaining eight Salt Water Crocs (Saurus in BB) and eight Baby Crocs (Skinks in BB) are all in-progress. The Salt Waters almost all need a good round of highlighting and lightening, as many of them are too dark and too solidly-coloured right now. Some of the Baby Crocs need a bit of touchup and highlighting, but they're closer to finished for the most part.

I've also got a fabric pitch (field) and some quick-build fieldside functional scenery in progress - a scoreboard and dugouts plus a few bits.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: A Blood Bowl diversion
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 08:58:12 PM »
Looking good. One of my favourite games for its rules simplicity yet tactical complexity.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 09:42:12 AM »

Crocs basically done, bases painted and flocked. Just a few details to add or paint up to get them properly finished and ready, including adding names/numbers to the rims of the bases after the flock dries.

I'm happy with how they've come together, and it's been great to get paint on figures for the first time since May 2013 - the second half of this year was pretty much a bust in figure painting terms until recently...

Offline smokezombie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 12:13:59 PM »
Looking good! Those crocks are big boys.

It is rather pleasing to do a GW game without giving them any money  :D

I have a Gaspez Arts Egyptian skelly team in the painting queue. Lovely minis. The options out there for non GW stuff are immense.

Now...where are your amazons??
"The sword sung on the barren heath,
The sickle in the fruitful field;
The sword he sung a song of death,
But could not make the sickle yield."
William Blake

Offline jdeleonardis

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 02:18:02 PM »
I was JUST looking at these figures to purchase yesterday.  You've done a great job on them!
Check out my blog The Raptor's Nest

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 10:23:55 PM »
They're great figures and a really good deal - 17 figures is enough for a full BB team with one spare, and enough figures for options in how you build a team and even in which figures you field, because a Lizardman team can actually only field six Saurus.

Looking good! Those crocks are big boys.

It is rather pleasing to do a GW game without giving them any money  :D

I'll get some good quality proper closeup photos of these guys over the holidays, and include some regular 28mm figures for scale. The Salt Water Crocs (Sauri) are a good bit taller and bulkier than a regular non-GW human figure, and the Leviathan Croc (Kroxigor) is bulkier yet, although not a lot taller than the Saurus.

Now...where are your amazons??

Still in the ziplock baggie they arrived in, I'm afraid. They'll be my New Years project, after the pitch itself is done. They also look like great figures, just as well sculpted as the crocs and even better castings.

Speaking of which, if you haven't seen it already, I created a separate Workbench thread for the Blood Bowl pitch I'm building.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 12:22:08 AM »
Wow, I never realisd how cheap they actually were. They look great as well. I may be getting me some impact miniatures.

:)